WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I start working again tomorrow, Chum...or you KNOW we'd be there tooling around with you in the Maine wilderness. I'll be looking closely at my schedule though to see if there's any way we can surprise you on your journey. Sorry we'll miss the fun.
    That would be great if we could see you! We'll be doing dinner in Boston next Tuesday and again two weeks later on return leg of trip, if that might interest you.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    This section was included in my hike last month (Mt Madison Hut to ME Hwy 4). Although there are some tough sections, it won't be as bad as the section you completed last year. I actually slacked the last 26 miles in 2 days (South Arm to HWY 17 - day 1 and HWY 17 to ME 4 - day 2). The last 13 miles (HWY 17 to HWY 4) was as easy as the trail in Vermont.

Before my section this year, I reviewed your picture album from last year and it gave a lot of info on what to expect. I wasn't disappointed! Thanks.

May your weather be good and have a great hike. I can't think of anything that you would have an issue with.

Just John
    Seminole, FL
    John, thanks so much for the info! Glad to hear your thoughts on the difficulty. Last year I was at 100%; this year I'm battling a sore leg, which is improving daily, thank goodness. Still, I might be grateful for the short mileage days we have scheduled. And if it goes easier than we think, we'll adjust the schedule.

Glad you liked the photos and they were helpful. I have a new camera and plan to keep taking bunches.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dlwills View Post
    Rain Man, It's Leah who shuttled your car twice last year. ...

Last year, I day hiked from Grafton Notch to East B Hill Road with my cousin .... Starting out in Grafton Notch, the climb is brutal, straight up. There was no get yourself warmed up on a gentle slope. You will find some stone work in areas. Climbing the bald was steep but once at the top, it is flat and you even have boards to walk across covering the mud. ...

We started the hike at 6AM and finished just after 1PM. ...

The weather this August has been cooler than normal, just like last year so be prepared for some cold nights. Temperatures at night in southern NH has been in the upper 50's.

Enjoy your hike!
    Leah! So glad to hear from you! We REALLY appreciated the shuttling last year. What nice WB trail magic! And thanks too for the info on hiking conditions. We are allowing for our first climb (up Baldpate) to be brutal, indeed, and have planned a short day of it. We're in no rush, thank goodness. I'm nursing a sore leg, so it's good to hear you did more miles and finished by 1:00. That gives me hope that I'll be okay this year.

The weather and temps look fantastic so far, but will keep an eye on them.

Thanks again!

Rain Man

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We might be able to meet you in Boston on the 26th. I have that Mon & Tues off. I had wanted to get Snacktime up to Maine again this summer, but it doesn't look likely. Now I'm thinking maybe Mt. Washington Monday then meet you on our way home Tues. Send your ph# again please. We won't be able to slackpack you this time, but it would be great to see you
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Default Another postponement. New dates 9/3 - 9/17

Our Maine hike has been postponed again. We still welcome hike partners and/or visitors, if anyone's interested.

Wed 9/3 - fly to Boston
    Thu 9/4 - day in Boston with my daughter Grass, take evening bus to Gorham, NH, stay at White Mountains Lodge & Hostel (same as last year)
    Fri 9/5 - shuttle to Grafton Notch State Park (where we ended last August), begin hike on AT. Hike 5.8 miles to Frye Notch Lean-to
    Sat 9/6 - 4.5 miles Frye Notch LT to East B Hill Road, shuttle to a hostel in Andover
    Sun 9/7 - 6.0 miles from East B Hill Road to Hall Mountain Lean-to
    Mon 9/8 - 4.1 miles from Hall Mountain LT to South Arm Road, shuttle to a hostel in Andover
    Tue 9/9 - ZERO day in Andover (20.4 miles so far)
    Wed 9/10 - 8.7 miles from South Arm Road to Bemis Mountain Lean-to
    Thu 9/11 - 4.5 miles from Bemis Mountain LT to ME Hwy 17 (stay in Oquossoc?)
    Fri 9/12 - 3.8 miles from ME Hwy 17 to Sabbath Day Pond Lean-to
    Sat 9/13 - 9.4 miles from Sabbath Day Pond LT to ME Hwy 4 (stay in Rangeley) (26.4 miles since ZERO day) 46.8 miles GRAND TOTAL
    Sun 9/14 - spend day as tourist in Rangeley and on way back to Boston
    Mon 9/15 - day in Boston
    Tue 9/16 - free day (can use to adjust schedule if needed)
    Wed 9/17 - fly home to Nashville

RainMan

Images

We might be able to meet you in Boston on the 26th. I have that Mon & Tues off. ...
    Teach, hate to do this to you again, but had to postpone a second time. See the new dates. Here's hoping you might still be able to make it up.

RainMan

Journal Entries
    Images

This might be easier actually. I'll check the schedule and let you know what we can do.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Default POSTPONED/Canceled til next summer.

POSTPONED/Canceled. Well, sadly, we must cancel this year and postpone til next August.

Rain Man

Journal Entries
    Images

Well that sucks....see you in August I hope. What are you doing on 10/4? Come to Roanoke.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Darn Rain Man! With your new dates I thought we might overlap as I start north from Rangeley late on the 13th. Sorry you won't be able to get up there this Fall.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Darn Rain Man! With your new dates I thought we might overlap as I start north from Rangeley late on the 13th. Sorry you won't be able to get up there this Fall.
    Now, don't tell me that, ... 'cause now I'm really sorry to cancel! Let's aim for next year perhaps. Enjoy your hike!

Rain Man

Images

Well that sucks....see you in August I hope. What are you doing on 10/4? Come to Roanoke.
    Yeah, it sucks, but discretion is the better part of valor, or some such adage. What's happening on 10/4 in Roanoke?

Rain Man

Journal Entries
    Images

A group of WB folks are hiking up McAfee Knob just for the kicks and giggles, to be followed by a dinner at The Home Place to celebrate HikerMom's birthday. The details are in the Fall/Winter Hikes Group on my profile page - open group - and it's an open hike. HM is willing to put folks up in her "hostel" if you don't mind squeezing in, or camping is available in the yard.

Come join us.....Snacktime would love to see you (as would I), and this time we can all hike together. Plus you'll meet some great folks!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I joined a group of mostly Roanoke WBers hiking up to McAfee knob in February 2011 (when I was between jobs...as I am today coincidentally!), driving 10 hours from the Midwest with my daughter (Sunshine) and her college friend just for kicks. We met HikerMom and had a blast on a lovely cool day. I encourage everyone to try to get out there (I will be trying to finish my last AT section up in Maine)! Good people.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++