WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Now Reading

But I like the name "July", it reminds me of a character in Lonesome Dove. And so anyone living in Abingdon maybe needs this pic to remember what's important---

Wilburn Ridge in the Mt Rogers area.

looks like the trail the little pigs were followin' behind the buck board.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    But I like the name "July", it reminds me of a character in Lonesome Dove. And so anyone living in Abingdon maybe needs this pic to remember what's important---

Wilburn Ridge in the Mt Rogers area.
    Hey Tipi, I could read your TJ's all day and night! Yes you are correct bout' Wilburn ridge, been visiting there for over 40 some odd years now. It never gets old and every time is as good as the first.

Quote Originally Posted by sympathetic joy View Post
    Most of the stuff I read is either recommended by a friend or I see a reference to a book in a blog or forum post.

So why not share what you're reading so I can add it to my list :-)

I'll start things off with the next post. Feel free to note any book or even trail journal that is related to hiking or camping.

Cheers,
    Most anything by Bill Bryson is very good, Walk in the Woods is required reading here I would imagine. Notes from a Small Island is a hike around the south of England that is really well written.

Images

i just finished the grandma gatewood book.....

while it was written really well-----i was kinda disappointed by it..........

the title said something like how she saved the AT....

the author really never addressed how she "saved" it........

he did acknowledge that she was an inspiration for many hikers but i wouldnt consider that to be saving the trail...

also-----bill bryson's books before he wrote walk in the woods---are the best stuff hes done......

i havent read his stuff since maybe one or two after walk in the woods as, to me, his writing kinda slacked after that book......

the ones before it though---are great stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by sympathetic joy View Post
    Most of the stuff I read is either recommended by a friend or I see a reference to a book in a blog or forum post.

So why not share what you're reading so I can add it to my list :-)

I'll start things off with the next post. Feel free to note any book or even trail journal that is related to hiking or camping.

Cheers,
    I'm not a sports fan, but I just saw this on the news. It's about a retired NFL player that walked across America to help 9/11 recovery workers

Title: Just Around the Bend http://www.amazon.com/Just-Around-Th.../dp/0988650983

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i just finished the grandma gatewood book.....

while it was written really well-----i was kinda disappointed by it..........

the title said something like how she saved the AT....

the author really never addressed how she "saved" it........

he did acknowledge that she was an inspiration for many hikers but i wouldnt consider that to be saving the trail...

I haven't read the book nor will I likely get to it but the notion of her "saving" the AT is offensive malarkey. She was a pioneer hiker - great. She and her hikes had nothing whatsoever to do with "saving the AT."

Journal Entries
    Images

CJ Box. Not sure which one-- there is series featuring Joe Pickett.

Joe is a Wyoming game warden. Someone always gets killed and Joe figures things out and saves the day. Definitely not heavy lifting or what you would admit to reading at a cocktail party in Cambridge, MA.

Well, actually I probably would.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm reading "The Essential Wilderness Navigator: How to Find Your Way in the Great Outdoors"

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Wild...ess+navigation

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I'm not a sports fan, but I just saw this on the news. It's about a retired NFL player that walked across America to help 9/11 recovery workers

Title: Just Around the Bend http://www.amazon.com/Just-Around-Th.../dp/0988650983
    Saw that piece, thought the fella was well spoken, he peeked my interests.

I'm reading Richard Judy's " THRU " . Not a typical journal of a Thru - Hike . But , a story composed of Register - Entrys / E - Mails / Journals of a group of 7 or so ( fictional ) hikers .
    Billed as an Appalachian Trail Love Story . Provides a wonderful idea of the AT hiking experience . Better than most other AT books . Profits from purcase go to the AT Museum ! DVW

Could I recommend the book I wrote after I finished my 2013 thru-hike? Don's Brother: A Hike of Hope on the Appalachian Trail is available at amazon.com and on Kindle. Read the reviews at amazon for a good idea of what the book deals with.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by july View Post
    check out... "our southern highlanders" by horace kephart
    awesome book

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    awesome book
    Yes quite awesome Living in the year 2014, it is so very interesting to see Kepharts personality, detail, and philosophy in his writing. Fantastic read, maybe time to revisit again soon

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    awesome book
    A window into the forgotten lifestyle of the people that settled and lived there for many yrs.

"The End of Night: Searching for Natural Darkness in an Age of Artificial Light" by Paul Bogard. http://www.amazon.com/End-Night-Sear...s=end+of+night

Author was on the radio today. You can listen on web archive. http://www.kqed.org/a/forum/R201411031000

PS: I borrowed it from the library.
    Last edited by DLP; 11-03-2014 at 23:06.

Default Rabid

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Has anyone read "Rabid" the spoof on Cheryl Strayed's "Wild" seems like a funny read, I added it to my very long and growing wish list.
    I have read it. I loved it. I had to go back and reread Wild to get all the jokes, even though I didn't care for Wild the first time and HATE when people ask, "Have you read Wild...?" Weirdly enough, I'm interested in seeing the Wild movie.

Oh wow! 10 out of 10 people found my Rabid review helpful and I rose to the top of the review list. http://www.amazon.com/Rabid-Pacific-...keywords=rabid

Reading the reviews, it looks like people who have actually been backpacking find Rabid hilarious.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++