WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Weather prep heading SOBO from just north of Shenandoah starting Aug 6?

Hi... I'm starting my first long distance hike in a couple of weeks - SOBO from Linden, VA to Springer Mt. I'm planning on 70-75 days, arriving in Springer mid-October. While I've looked at the numbers and stats, I'm still interested in some experienced input when it comes to what I should bring. My sleeping bag is rated down to 35F (and I have an emergency blanket in case of really freakish weather), but I'm currently not planning on bringing a full tent (just a tarp) or anything warmer than a light long sleeve shirt (I'll be in pants).

Thoughts or advice appreciated. (Also, a little unrelated, but are there any particularly difficult stretches this time of year, SOBO, with regard to resupply?)

Images

I went through Shenendoah Park right after it opened last year after the government shut down. Started Oct 16. Later than your talking about but at that time of year I didn't have any water issues. Keep in mind you have the Waysides and campgrounds to consider for water as well. The weather in mid October was cool. One night in the teens. You will be further south and at higher elevations so I think you may need a warmer bag due to the elevations. That is such an individual choice depending on how war,/cold you sleep. Maybe have some warm clothes prepared to send to you as needed. Personaly I get pretty cold when on long distance trips, so I plan for my needs based on years of hiking experience. The tarp should be OK I would think, again personal preference. The weight saved versus a tent can offset some warmer pieces of clothing.
    Im leaving from the South end of the park on September 2nd headed to Springer. Maybe I'll see you out there... Happy Hiking.

Thanks for the response! I took another look at the Smokies temps and, with an average low while I'll be there of 45, decided I wanted a little more warmth. So, I added a lightweight long sleeve base layer. If I put my rain jacket over it (not heavy at all), the two should keep me pretty warm if it gets cold while I'm hiking. If it gets unseasonably cold at night, Ill whip out the emergency blanket inside the sleeping bag...or just use fire.

Good luck on your hike!

++ New Posts ++