WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Cohos Trail

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Default Cohos Trail

So I think we're gonna tackle the Cohos next year (2015). Truthfully, we'd like to hike in the Fall but may be too antsy to wait that long and Spring fits our schedule better. Is it too nasty to hike this in the Spring? How early is too early? Are bugs terrible in the early summer? Is it maintained well? Can this thing be done in 8-10 days for a couple of strong hikers or will route-finding prohibit that?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Hiking anywhere in NH is not advisable in the spring. I would not attempt it before June 1st. And then, that's when the black flies are at their worst. July is better, but then it's getting hot and thunderstorms are a risk.

I have only been on a few sections of the Cohos trail and I believe you will find it relatively well blazed. How well maintained is an unknown. The southern half coincides with well established trails, but north of Waumbek it might get dicey. Some sections will be better then others.

With few exceptions, this trail is for the most part pretty remote and not well traveled. Water sources are fairly scare and resupply is a real problem. You'll have to go well off the trail to find any kind of food. The only place where resupply is fairly close by is at the RT 2 crossing in Jefferson. The Country store a few miles west of the trail looks like it has most of what a hiker would want for resupply. Were I to attempt the whole thing, I would spend a day driving to all the road crossings and do food catches. That would save a lot of time later on. Getting to and from a resupply could eat up the better part of a day. Or just a few hours depending on how lucky you are at hitching.

Hard to say how long it would take. It's only a bit over 100 miles, so one would think 10 days would be sufficient, but there are some unknowns, like the resupply question.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Hiking anywhere in NH is not advisable in the spring. I would not attempt it before June 1st. And then, that's when the black flies are at their worst. July is better, but then it's getting hot and thunderstorms are a risk.

I have only been on a few sections of the Cohos trail and I believe you will find it relatively well blazed. How well maintained is an unknown. The southern half coincides with well established trails, but north of Waumbek it might get dicey. Some sections will be better then others.

With few exceptions, this trail is for the most part pretty remote and not well traveled. Water sources are fairly scare and resupply is a real problem. You'll have to go well off the trail to find any kind of food. The only place where resupply is fairly close by is at the RT 2 crossing in Jefferson. The Country store a few miles west of the trail looks like it has most of what a hiker would want for resupply. Were I to attempt the whole thing, I would spend a day driving to all the road crossings and do food catches. That would save a lot of time later on. Getting to and from a resupply could eat up the better part of a day. Or just a few hours depending on how lucky you are at hitching.

Hard to say how long it would take. It's only a bit over 100 miles, so one would think 10 days would be sufficient, but there are some unknowns, like the resupply question.
    the trail is 165 miles according to the website, and the website also lists several places that are less than a half mile from the trail that accept food mail drop packages. this was our plan.
    http://www.cohostrail.org/supplycashes.html

it also does not mention that water is a problem; i dont see how it could be, but I sure would like to see a set of cohos maps.

amongnature.blogspot.com

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

The Cohos Trail is on my life list of trails to complete, so I'd be interested in your trip report when you return!

I concur that trying to bag this trail before July is not at all ideal due to mud and bugs. Personally, I will likely shoot for a late September/early October hike. From what I've read elsewhere, the Cohos is easier than the AT through the Whites, although not exactly a piece of cake due in part to its remoteness and the North Woods.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    the trail is 165 miles according to the website, and the website also lists several places that are less than a half mile from the trail that accept food mail drop packages. this was our plan.
    http://www.cohostrail.org/supplycashes.html

it also does not mention that water is a problem; i dont see how it could be, but I sure would like to see a set of cohos maps.
    165 miles. Then I think 10 days is pretty optimistic. Although on average it might be easier then the AT through the Whites, the Cohos trail does have it's tough sections.

On the list of mail drop locations, the Balsams is closed and may never open again. You had best verify the other suggested places too. I know there are some long dry sections on the Cohos trail. Stock up on water when ever you see it, you might not find any more for some distance.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

AT 2012

Hey, thanks for finding another trail for me... I am planning to hike it September 2015 now that I know of it -- my hike card is full til then. I know, long time away, but let me know if you want to at least fantasize about sharing logistics/co-self-shuttling.
    Lazarus

To the Soulmates: Please dispense with the idea of trying to thru hike the Cohos Trail in Spring. bad idea. You' face deep snow early, then mud or flooded trail not to mention lots of bugs late spring (May and June). I would wait till July, and preferably August.

The Cohos trail is NOT for beginners. It's for experienced hikers only. It's not always well marked (and the portion in the whites just piggy backs pre-existing trails so there is no CT indication there. Shelter along the trail is sparse. I think there's just a couple of tent platforms, and a couple shelters. The trail does go right by the Applebrook farm b and b in Jefferson (nice but not cheap) and the Mount Washington Hotel (beaucoup bucks). I have not hiked the northern reaches but understand it is very isolated. few to no resupply options. I tried to do the trail back in 2009 I think it was.. rain did me in. I quit in Jefferson. You should check out the website for the cohos trail association (http://cohostrail.org/) which will tell you what you need to know. Through them you can order maps and a guide book.

If you hike this trail you need to by fully self-sufficient and that means you carry your own shelter, have mail drops, and if something goes wrong.. do NOT count on ANY cell phone reception and don't expect ANY help to arrive.

DavidNH

One reason to hike the Coos trail is the Balsams has grand plans to build a major ski resort/development. If it happens the character of a fairly wild place in NH is going to change big time.

Images

The Cohos Trail meets a Quebec trail system that seems interesting:
    http://www.sentiersfrontaliers.qc.ca/en/sentiers/cartes
    These Sentiers Frontaliers trails reach Mont Megantic and mountains along the US/Canada border.

The later in summer you go, the better the average conditions; September would be idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    To the Soulmates: Please dispense with the idea of trying to thru hike the Cohos Trail in Spring. bad idea. You' face deep snow early, then mud or flooded trail not to mention lots of bugs late spring (May and June). I would wait till July, and preferably August.

The Cohos trail is NOT for beginners. It's for experienced hikers only. It's not always well marked (and the portion in the whites just piggy backs pre-existing trails so there is no CT indication there. Shelter along the trail is sparse. I think there's just a couple of tent platforms, and a couple shelters. The trail does go right by the Applebrook farm b and b in Jefferson (nice but not cheap) and the Mount Washington Hotel (beaucoup bucks). I have not hiked the northern reaches but understand it is very isolated. few to no resupply options. I tried to do the trail back in 2009 I think it was.. rain did me in. I quit in Jefferson. You should check out the website for the cohos trail association (http://cohostrail.org/) which will tell you what you need to know. Through them you can order maps and a guide book.

If you hike this trail you need to by fully self-sufficient and that means you carry your own shelter, have mail drops, and if something goes wrong.. do NOT count on ANY cell phone reception and don't expect ANY help to arrive.

DavidNH
    So we've hiked in NH in May multiple times and never had a problem with bugs or snow, but maybe it was during low snow, low bug years. I always hear about the bugs, but have never experienced them to the degree everyone complains about them. But we have also tended to stick to the higher elevations. The other comments you make are the impetus for us choosing this trail; we're fully aware and have hiked in 48 states.

That sucks about the rain on your hike. We know the feeling. Our last trip to VT it rained 7 of the 8 days we were there.

I'm sure we'll stay at at least one on-trail establishment on our trip.

I rarely carry a cell phone on a hike anyways.

amongnature.blogspot.com

AT 2012

hey guys... there is a forum for the Cohos trail. There doesn't seem to be that much activity on it, but I will start to spend some time there to see what is going on with the trail. I can't tell how much actual trail work is going on now... it might be just right to hike the Cohos in a year or so when more work is completed, although waiting two might be even better! please keep us posted as you find out about the trail... seems pretty wonderful.
    !
    Lazarus

DavidNH - I did the Cohos the same year as you, 2009. The rain problem was complicated by the tall grasses and poor drainage on the snowmobile trails - if you were northbound you missed that. If it was an intelligence test, I failed and you passed. I did the whole thing North to South and my feet were miserable by the end. I was actually planning to continue past Rt. 302 meet up with the AT by Franconia notch and continue to Maine Junction. Instead, once I finished the CT I hitch hiked into North Conway and took a bus home.

There are more shelters on the trail now than there were in 2009.

If you're only doing the 165 miles of the CT not venturing further into or downward from Canada on the 70 or so miles of the Sentier Frontalier trails how many resupplies does a strong hiker really need? About one. Also, just because the AT has abundant well documented on or very near resupply pts to the trail and many alternatives at umpteen road crossings not every hike or trail is exactly like the AT. GOOD. Embrace the adventure and variety! Could that/is not that also a facet of HYOH? And, who says a 20+ mile hitch should be out of the question to do a resupply on a hike of this length? I'm just saying I would enjoyably embrace it all as part of the overall journey.

I did it again this year. Almost as much rain as in 2009, but the trail is better able to handle water in many spots (still overwhelmingly swampy and mucky after rain in others).
    Last edited by pedxing; 08-30-2016 at 15:22.

Pedxing i think it was in 2009 I attempted the Cohos Trail. Rain rain rain water water water. I quit at Applebees B and B on rt 2. Maybe someday I'll try again!

++ New Posts ++