WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Sleeping Pad for Side Sleeper

I'm a side sleeper and have noticed that my hips always hurt after a night in my tent (and I have a good deal of built-in natural padding too). I also end up tossing and turning from side to side a lot to give my hips a break and therefore end up with very low quality of sleep.

I assumed that an inflatable pad would be the best way to go, that it would provide the best cushioning. I currently have the REI Lite-Core 1.5. It's just not doing the job like I thought it would.

I'd love some suggestions on the best pads specifically for side sleepers.

Thanks!

Big Agnes Q Core SL. I am a side sleeper and my best nights of sleep while camping out have been on this pad. Very comfy.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Although I guess still not as pricey as Therm-a-Rest.

I bought my current one at an REI used gear sale for like $45...so maybe I'm just spoiled in that sense.

Oops...my first response disappeared.

I was just commenting on the Big Agnes being pricey.

I know it's worth it though for a good night's sleep.

Im a 205 pound side sleeper. The Exped Synmat 7 wide is quite comfy and has givin me great sleep
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Im a 225 pound side sleeper and love my NeoAir Xlite (large).

I purchased the large because I sometimes sleep on my stomach and got tired of 20" pads leaving my arms dragging the ground.
    So if you exclusively side sleep, the regular size might do you just fine.
    But yes, the NeoAirs are pricey, but does really well in reviews.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I too am a side sleeper and would toss and turn due to my hips getting sore, then wake up feeling unrested using a foam pad. Bit the bullet and bought a thermarest xtherm, in part because I tend to camp in cold weather and the reviews for that were very good. I make mine very firm and put my pack under the head of the pad. I sleep very comfortably and wake with no sore hips. The pain is blowing it up so will be getting one of the little pumps so I can do other things while it inflates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    The pain is blowing it up so will be getting one of the little pumps so I can do other things while it inflates.
    If you have a pack liner - I use a trash compactor bag - fill it with air, hold the open end tight against the open pad nozzle and squeeze the air into your pad. Works like playing the bagpipes, without the stepped-on-cat sound.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    If you have a pack liner - I use a trash compactor bag - fill it with air, hold the open end tight against the open pad nozzle and squeeze the air into your pad. Works like playing the bagpipes, without the stepped-on-cat sound.
    It came with a bag to blow it up but I'll be darned if it doesn't go quicker blowing it up myself. But don't want to be infusing all that moisture, especially when it gets cold. Maybe I don't have the technique down right??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

I have the neoair trekker, short/wide. It does not have a high R rating, but I'm mostly a summer hiker. I like a wide pad for tossing an turning. This is one of the few that comes wide, but short. That keeps the weight down and makes it faster to inflate (20 blows). I found padding under my legs not necessary. YMMV

A gathered end Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock. Gathered end hammocks do allow one to sleep on their side in comfort. Only sleep on the ground now with a Big Agnes Q Core only if I have to. I know I will be stuff in the morning.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've tried the trash compactor bag trick to inflate the neoair, but there's just too much bag for me to figure out how to get a tight seal around the value to be able to push the air into the pad.

So instead, I carry a standard kitchen trash bag (handles cut out of them as unnecessary weigh). I cut a small hole in a corner of the trash bag, slide the neoair valve through the hole, and then use a rubber band to essentially attach the trash bag to the neoair. It takes about 5 bags of air to nearly fill a large size neoair (78"x25"). A few puffs are then all it takes to set the pressure of the neoair. So long as you are not rough with it, the kitchen bag can be used over-and-over-and-over. If you use the stuff sack the neoair comes with, there is plenty of room to roll the trash bag around the neoair before stuffing it in the stuff sack. Then just toss in a pair of rubberbands (you want to keep a back-up).

I have written several times here at WhiteBlaze about my new Xtherm Large pad. search for Xtherm posts by me in the last 4-6 weeks.
    The Cliff's Notes version:
    5'-8", 150 pounds, side sleeper, Large Xtherm + Exped Large Air Pillow (the red one, not the UL yellow one), Location: Floor of my apartment next to my real bed and uber cushy down pillow.
    14 nights total. 7 nights consecutively. Ambient temperature 76-80 F degree nights. Xtherm inflrated just enough to keep my bottom/hips from bottoming out when I am lying down. If I sit up, my bottom is grounded. The Xtherm looks like a limp noodle until I am lying on it.
    Conclusion: I slept like a log. No difference in the morning when I woke up between the Xtherm and the real bed next to me. The first ground sleeping system I have used that allowed me to sleep straight through the night.
    Caution: The catalog dimensions are measured flat, no air. Inflated, my Xtherm is 23" wide. I understnad that the regular is only 18" wide. Since I can't tolerate a 20" pad, been through 3 of them, the extra width of the Xtherm Large is perfect for me. Every maker should offer wide width pads.
    Next test: Outdoor, cold weather trials scheduled for Christmas break. If the Xtherm doesn't pass 15 F degree nights, it is going back to REI. If that happens, I will try an Exped Downmat next.
    The Dreaded NeoAir Noise Syndrome: Pure Internet Myth.
    A good night's sleep: Priceless. Don't sweat the price.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Whichever inflatable pad you go with, just make sure that it has 2" of cushioning available, which should be sufficient to keep your hips from bottoming out. Also, after you inflate (using whatever method works for you), lie down on the pad on your side and slowly release air until your hips are just above the ground. That should give you sufficient support without overly much stiffness.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Whichever inflatable pad you go with, just make sure that it has 2" of cushioning available, which should be sufficient to keep your hips from bottoming out. Also, after you inflate (using whatever method works for you), lie down on the pad on your side and slowly release air until your hips are just above the ground. That should give you sufficient support without overly much stiffness.
    Yep. Trial and error at first. A little out. Move. A little in. Squirm. When you get it right, your hips will touch bottom if you raise your upper torso a little moving weight to your hips. Maybe my reduced inflation is also what stops the noise? For whatever reasons, very low air pressure yields a very quiet, very nice sleep.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Im not sure if it happens to others here, but I find that after hiking and wearing myself out, that I can sleep in any position.

at home I sleep in the fetal position. I NEVER sleep on my back.

But when I hike, I have no problem at all sleeping on my back. It's even the most comfortable position on the trail for me.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Images

+1 everything Venchka says. I'm a 170 lb, 6' side sleeper. I have the XTherm regular and it's nearly too narrow,but really cushy. 20 breathes blows it up firm---the inflator bag/stuff sack that comes with it was too much hassle. I let air out until it's comfy as well. I'm concerned about using it in the desert on my planned Arizona Trail hike. I did use a Thermarest Prolite on the NM CDT with no issue and don't remember being that picky about campsites. Any advice on taking the XTherm vs a ZRest?
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Im a 205 pound side sleeper. The Exped Synmat 7 wide is quite comfy and has givin me great sleep
    Add 70 pounds, and the rest is ditto!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Winter 35R & Catskill 3500 Club Starvin Marvin's Avatar

+2 on everything Venchka said about the X Therm. I have the large size also. I have used mine on snow down to zero degrees F (so far) and its plenty warm.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Walk it off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++