WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clothing for CT?

I'm planning my CT thru-hike for 2015. I know the temps range from 30-80 degrees on average. Is a soft shell jacket important article to carry or not? I will have two short sleeve, one long sleeve shirt, two zip off pants, hard shell and three pr socks. Any suggestions. I plan on going in Aug to early Sept.Thanks.

Sorry I just realized I posted this under the wrong forum.

Images

I hiked the CT +100 mi of the CDT in late June and July 2013. I wore my kilt (MH Kommando Kilt), a short sleeve Icebreaker 150 wt Tshirt, smart wool socks, and low gaiters to keep crud out of shoes. Had available in the pack, Marmot DriClime Windshrt, Rain Jacket, and Rain Kilt. Also carried a Chromedome umbrella which came in handy for an all day rain storm a day out from Durango. Carried: long sleeve 150 wt Icebreaker T; 2 extra pair socks, smartwool lightweight longjohns, lightweight down jacket (didn't need). Suggest you lose the second pair of zip off pants and second short sleeve shirt, and add the soft shell. It's not uncommon to hike in snow in Sept.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by Gus10 View Post
    I'm planning my CT thru-hike for 2015. I know the temps range from 30-80 degrees on average. Is a soft shell jacket important article to carry or not? I will have two short sleeve, one long sleeve shirt, two zip off pants, hard shell and three pr socks. Any suggestions. I plan on going in Aug to early Sept.Thanks.
    More details. Which direction are you headed? Explain or note models of your clothing especially your long sleeved shirt(wt, fabric, zips, etc) and shells(hand pockets, hoods, fabrics, etc). Are you including any apparel accessories like gloves(running or similar), hat(light merino or similar beanie), etc? which might not be a bad idea in the big scheme of apparel combinations. Have you considered the greater versatility during that time frame of going with one pr shorts and one pr convertibles rather than two convertible pants? Describe your convertibles and how you will stay dry and warm should you get wet, temps start dropping, wind picks up, and should you find yourself facing greater exposure? Why 3 pr socks? Could you roll with 2 pr maybe say a shortie lighter wt ankle height sock and higher length warmer sock instead? I don't see you wearing all that on your torso very often at all! Have you considered substituting the soft shell with a med wt vest to layer with?; this may give you greater use and variety of apparel combinations for your upper half.

If you have experience, you probably have enough in what you listed.
    The weather that time of year is not too cold.

If you are going on a leisurely hike and plan on sitting around in camp a lot, then add a down vest or something fleecy (?)
    But, if you are going to hike where you will be on the trail most of the day, hit camp to eat and sleep, you have enough IMO.

It's not the AT where you won't see the sun for a week at a time.
    August will be great.

I did my training for the Leadville 100 by fast hiking the CT and carried a very small pack.
    Didn't even need anything besides shorts and a long sleeve polypro shirt, and Frogg Toggs once or twice (just the top)

Good luck and have fun.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Well, in the spirit of continuing this discussion on the wrong forum, I'd advise a very lightweight down or synthetic "sweater" for that time of year, somewhat past the peak temperatures of July/early August. Late august/early September brings some nice cool nights and mornings, and some sort of modest insulating layer is nice. My wife and I both carry and use Mont Bell UL down sweaters, 8-9 ounces of warmth, packs very small. The synthetic versions work great too, but a few more ounces.

I specifically do not recommend a soft shell; too heavy for what you get. We do use soft shells in the winter; perfect hiking garment for that time of year in Colorado (and other western states).

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Moved to Colorado Trail forum - PM
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

For what it's worth, from mid July through mid August, 2014, I wore my windshirt in the mornings and evenings and when ever the sun wasn't shinning. Likewise, I cover my legs frequently. I carried a fleece top, but only used it one morning. I suspect that if I had hiked later in the season then I would have worn fleece more often. I also wore a fleece hat a few mornings. (And I'm glad that I had my 20 degree bag with me. It does get cool in the wee hours of the morning.)

++ New Posts ++