WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Similarities between the CT and the AT

Howdy y'all.

Lighthouse back again after a few months hiatus. I was a 2013 NoBo thru hiker, and boy do I miss those days! I am living in the geographically boring state of Indiana, and I am excited to say that in just a few short weeks I am going to spend 10 days out on the Colorado Trail with some other fellow 2013 thru hikers!

Words can not express how excited I am for this journey...I am so ready to get out and see some epic mountains and disconnect with the digital world we live in!

Anyways, the plan is that we are going to hike the southern part of the Colorado trail, sections 20-28 I believe. I am leaving in about 2 weeks for it, and I basically have done no planning yet...oops. But I am confident that most of my items and the things that I learned from the AT will translate well with the Colorado Trail.

The biggest difference I can see between the AT and the CT is an elevation change. I think we will be hiking in elevations from 8,000 to 13,000 ft. I am sure it will be tough on me physicall, but I have kept myself in pretty excellent shape ever since getting off the trail. Granted, I know I won't be in trail condition, but I think I will do just fine.

I know the differences in elevation changes I can expect on this trail, but after being spoiled with AWOLs book, I would love to have a more detailed explanation of what kind of mountains I will be hiking up. Can anyone relate these CT sections to any sections of the AT? Will it be more rolling up and downs like Virginia? Or drastic, rocky up and downs like NH and southern Maine?

Also, since it is such high elevation, are you above treeline for most of these hikes? I am guessing that sunscreen and some sunglasses/hat would be a very wise decision?

I know lightning is some pretty serious stuff out there, and I am pretty oblivious as to what to look for and how to figure out if something is rolling in besides the obvious "look and see if it is dark and there is lightning" anyone have good tips on that kind of stuff?

Any other thoughts/tips would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Lighthouse

Garlic
    Images

CT climbs are different from AT climbs. On the CT, they're generally not as steep, being graded traditionally for stock and lately for bicycles. But they're longer and higher, for sure. You'll only do one or two major climbs a day. There are plenty of stretches of the AT with more elevation gain per mile than the CT. With the exception of maybe the short stretch in the Presidentials after the Lincoln Cliffs (IIRC), there's not much on the AT to compare it to. I remember feeling at home in the Presidentials.

You'll have to deal with longer food and water carries than you did on most of the AT.

It's more remote, so bail out is often less of an option.

You might have to deal with weather extremes. Here in CO we have two seasons--winter and Fourth of July (though I've been in fresh snow on July 4th at 13,000'). Be ready for 20F nights.

This time of year you won't be hiking on much snow, so sun reflection isn't an issue. Sunglasses are optional, in my opinion. A good hat, sunscreen, and lip balm are important. Long sleeves and trousers are appropriate.

Some lakes might have mosquitoes, but it should mostly be bug-free.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Garlic
    Images

Here's a recent thread on lightning on the CT.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Maybe I'll see you out there. I'm hiking sections 24-28 southwest bound, Aug. 8-15. I'm finding the Colorado Trail Databook useful. It has elevation profiles and all datapoints in the book have elevation listed, so those things will be helpful in answering some of your elevation questions. It also has rudimentary maps, though I am bringing a couple Trails Illustrated maps with me. I believe maps #139, 140, 141 and 144 in that series have segments 20-28 covered. Have a good hike!

Images

Very cool, and have a great time in Colorado! You've chosen the best part of the CT.

One weather related gear difference between the AT and CT would be to make sure to have good rain protection, and I suggest a very lightweight insulating layer for the cool evenings and mornings (like a down or synthetic insulating "sweater", 7-9 ounces total or so). The rain in the CO high country can be severe and cold, as opposed to the heavy rains in August along most of the AT which are generally warmer. I'd also have some leg warmth; I use simple zip-off pants and put the legs on virtually every evening out here, and starting in late August, I also carry a 4-ounce pair of UL nylon long-johns.

Everyone talks about all the elevation change along the AT, but in the first 1350 miles (GA-->NY) I sure didn't notice much in the way of Big Hills to climb out east, little thousand-footers that people out there talked about, but are all over the place along the CT. I realize when I finally get to the whites I'm in for some big climbs along the AT, finally). I guess I notice total elevation changes more than steepness.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

As a person who cut his teeth in the Whites, then moved to Colorado, the steepness is there for sure. But it also the rocks, roots and the fact that the trails are so well used and older (meaning few switch backs!). Some of the trails are shaped like a "U" from being used so much over the years.

Katahdin has about 4000' gain. Not bad..not bad at all.
    Last edited by Mags; 07-30-2014 at 22:12.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

All good responses. Two points that I didn't see covered:

1. You asked if you'd be above treeline most of the time. For Segments 20-28, the answer is yes until you reach the trees on the descent from Kennebec Pass in Segment 28. Segments 25-27 also feature both above treeline and below treeline stretches.

2. Plan your water carefully for the latter part of Segment 26 and all of Segment 27 through Taylor Lake. There's an excellent thread from Bear Creek about the water status in Segment 27 which, for this year, is relatively good but behooves you to know where the sources are.

Enjoy your hike!

OK thanks for all of the advice!

I have more questions...

For water...how much would you recommend carrying? on the AT I just carried 2 1 L gatorade bottles and that seemed fine. You think I should do that plus get a platypus of some sort? I heard its pretty darn dry out there!

Also, How are the bears out there? Do you have to hang a bear bag like the PCT way out there? I know we got away with not hanging bear bags a lot on the AT, is this the case for the CT?

"...For water...how much would you recommend carrying? on the AT I just carried 2 1 L gatorade bottles and that seemed fine. You think I should do that plus get a platypus of some sort? I heard its pretty darn dry out there!"

"That should be more than enough water to carry. Me mindful of water sources on maps or as indicated in the CT Databook that I would suspect at least one in your party would have. The CT really isn't a dry trail per say. Perhaps it's more accurate to say there are some dry sections like when atop ridgelines where flowing water tends to exist less often. You're hiking in mid Aug so you should(will?) experience some afternoon showers so that could create some ephemeral water gathering possibilities. You should also review lightning safety for your hike. We just had a thread on that here on WB.

"...How are the bears out there? Do you have to hang a bear bag like the PCT way out there? I know we got away with not hanging bear bags a lot on the AT, is this the case for the CT?"

Black bears tend to not be a huge issue on the CT but bear bagging is not a bad idea as it can also keep your food from being taken by all the wolves. Only kidding. No wolves to concern yourself about.

How's that job in Indy working out for you.

ANOTHER QUESTION!

I came back to my parents house to pick up my superfeet insoles, which I felt like I left on the shoe rack. They aren't there any more...crap. Can't find them, so if I want them I will have to buy them. If I can get away without buying them I want to do that.

I used superfeet the whole time on the ATand my feet felt pretty darn good. How hard is the terrain on your feet out on the CT? You think I could get away with 10 days of no insoles? If I remember correctly people on the AT started to really complain about their feet about a month in...so im hoping my feet can survive without the superfeet.

I've spent many weeks on both so here's my opinion.
    These trails are opposites in a lot of ways. The CDT is unbridled adventure, generally solo. You had better be skilled, strong, and independent; then you can have a great time.
    The AT is crowded and clamped down on pretty hard in terms of rules other people have made about how you are supposed to do "your" hike.
    Oh, and the CDT has better scenery, nobody ever called it a "long green tunnel".

The CT kicked my butt! When I got home I checked the average elevation gain, CT vs AT -- the average gain per mile of the AT is 30.4% greater than the average gain per mile of the CT.

That comes from the AT length (2125.18 mi.) & gain (509589 ft.) in http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...Elevation-Gain, and the CT length (484.6 mi.) & gain (89103 ft.) in the CT Databook, ed. 5. These numbers give an average gain/mi. of 239.8 ft. for the AT, and 183.9 ft. for the CT.

My hiking buddy and I were wondering why the CT seemed to "strenuous" compared to the AT. I can only guess it was the altitude.

++ New Posts ++