WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Most cost effective resupply method

Do I have this correct?

1st drop (day 2-4) is @ TM post office. Cost = USPS Priority Mail shipping cost. Post Office Pickup - Free
    2nd drop - VVR - Cost = UPS bucket shipping cost + $20 VVR pickup.
    then a day later, stop by MTR and check the bins for hiker food.

I assume cost effective being defined as the least amount of $ spent and resupply just consist of trail food with a very average you'll eat just about anything diet? If that is the case, and without getting into absurdities, for example ridiculously large food hauled from where ever, long hikes out to resupply locations, etc, buy at the grocery store in Yosemite Valley which is surprisingly reasonably priced or haul food with you from where ever to start the hike, buy/scrounge/beg at TM(there is a hiker box usually in the corner or behind the counter), buy/scrounge at Reds Meadow(usually a hiker box near the cash register), and mail FOOD resupply box to USPO at Mono Hot Springs via Flat Rate Priority Mail. If you want to take a big chance financially walk to VVR and check out their FREE hiker barrels instead of mailing Flat Rate Priority to Mono Hot Springs PO. MTR has a hiker box but in the past when I stopped in there without a reservation or hadn't mailed a resupply bucket there, in other words I wasn't a paying customer, I was point blank told the hiker box was for paying customers only. And, not to single out MTR, we should consider the possible ethical question of going out of our way off the JMT solely to raid hit or miss hiker boxes without so much as spending one dime at these locations. Although attitudes may be different on the AT the JMT is NOT the AT and this could be frowned upon by some proprietors. Just a thought, not a judgement.

++ New Posts ++