WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Were these ponies purposely introduced? Why can't other native grazers perform this function of maintaining "the open pastoral character"?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post

Grayson highlands
    Yep you are the kind I see on the trail that when I pass you and politely ask "Is your dog friendly?" and you say "Not really." As your Dumbass little dog is yapping at my docile 95 pound pit lab. Sometimes I wish he would reach those mighty jowls out there bounce the little mut off the ground for an extended dirt nap. Quit taking your ignorant pets to the trail!!! My dog has hiked over 800 miles without a single incident, nor him showing his ass. People approach on the trail, he gets off the trail. He poops off the trail, he doesn’t bother peoples food, he doesn’t sleep in shelter, he doesn’t even acknowledge other dogs. He carries his own weight and almost every trip, here comes some fatso with their lap dog waddling down the trail with a yappy ass dog. RAWRR!!!!
    Trail Miles: 5,154.2
    AT Map 1:
    ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    GSMNP900: 134.7(17%)
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    CDT: 210.9
    BMT: 52.7

Wow u r tough .... Get a life...

The ponies aren't native, I suppose "feral" is a better term.

50 of them were released there in 1975 to maintain the balds, which are also not natural.

The hilltops were cleared in the 1800's by farmers and then was overgrazed by cattle in the early 1900's, when the cows left the brush came back.

It wasn't pretty enough.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Wow u r tough .... Get a life...
    Not sure what makes me look tough, but whatever it is making me look tough, makes you look like a even bigger dumb@ss
    AT Map 1:
    ✔ | 13-21'

To set record the pony came right back and then on no probs getting along w them...
    He doesn't stay in shelters,crap on trail, eat others food so not sure what ur attitude is about...

Your video speaks for itself, if he would do it to a pony he will do it to my ankles, my child, my pet etc. The dog didnt show any tolerance to a simply pony. Blah blah blah, rubish.
    AT Map 1:
    ✔ | 13-21'

Ok big guy whatever u say....

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Hikers seem to hate the word NO.

All that HYOH stuff.

Attachment 27931
    what kinda sicko molests ponies?

...no videos please

Look...just like Mushrooms, Shiitake happens...."Ponies happen" No one was hurt, the world keeps spinnin' I'm sure thars plenty of stories where a hiker was accosted by a pony and freaked out not digging the experience. From what I saw in the video the dog was very well behaved and it wasn't till the pony made contact that the dog had had enough and let him know I don't like that. If you come across a bear, they'll likely do the same preferring to false charge you rather than start an all out Donny Brook. Walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    what kinda sicko molests ponies?

...no videos please

Look...just like Mushrooms, Shiitake happens...."Ponies happen" No one was hurt, the world keeps spinnin' I'm sure thars plenty of stories where a hiker was accosted by a pony and freaked out not digging the experience. From what I saw in the video the dog was very well behaved and it wasn't till the pony made contact that the dog had had enough and let him know I don't like that. If you come across a bear, they'll likely do the same preferring to false charge you rather than start an all out Donny Brook. Walk away.
    Thx....wasn't trying to cause uproar.....

Thx....wasn't trying to cause uproar.....
    ...dogs on the trail is a huge emotional hot button issue for some...I learned the hard way as well...no biggie

I now realize that.....thx

What I saw is a pup between some legs doing a bluff charge on a pony and then running back to the comfort zone of his owner. Give him some time to warm up and he would be good buds with the ponies.

Rolls
    Last edited by Rolls Kanardly; 07-31-2014 at 16:03.
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Quote Originally Posted by PackHorse View Post
    Being both a horse and dog owner ( and also own a boarding kennel). I'm seeing this dog as trying to be very tolerant of the pony, it's the pony that invaded the dogs space. Now if he had been out chasing the wild ponies, thats another story. Same scenario with my animals... horse at fault. Your going to say, but this is a wild pony... still knows the concept of space...mama taught him. Dog just reinforced it.
    I expected a video with a dog running off lead and chasing the ponies all over the place, considering the things some posters had already said. After I watched it however, I now see that many people are over-reacting. The dog was clearly uncomfortable with the pony and had waited plenty long enough for it to get the message and back off. What do you think is the next logical step, huh? He didn't hurt the pony. He didn't chase it into oblivion. He DID however claim his space and hopefully taught the pony to be more respectful of that.

Last time I was through there a pony walked right up to me and started to assault my pack. I was being "mugged" by "wildlife" that unfortunately has no fear of humans.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...dogs on the trail is a huge emotional hot button issue for some...I learned the hard way as well...no biggie
    Let's start a thread about giving trail magic and hosting feeds for hikers with dogs! No hot-buttons there
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Let's start a thread about giving trail magic and hosting feeds for hikers with dogs! No hot-buttons there
    ...go for itpopcorn.gif I won't even double Dog dare ya.

I've got a better idea.....dogs and horses in a better light....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQB7QRyF4p4
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I've got a better idea.....dogs and horses in a better light....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQB7QRyF4p4
    Super bowl commercials are always a highlight...Perfect!

I'll never hike the area without my dog.

Last time I hiked across the balds, a pony began following us and then bit me. My dog was handy to immediately chase it away; otherwise I'm afraid my visit to the doctor could have been more serious (it led to shots as it was). If the dog had sat back docilely here, maybe the same would have happened to it.

Stupid ponies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++