WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Any opinions or intrest in a seperate History forum?

The subtitle for this forum reads "Discuss history, concerns and issues regarding our favorite trail".

Sometimes I have a trail history thread idea that just doesn't fit into that broad scope.

More often than not this forum is used to report and discuss/argue trail "concerns". Which is fine because that's what it's for.

Maybe it is time to have a separate "trail history" forum.

I understand that new forums require more moderator strain, but perhaps seperating the subjects can actually ease some of that. "Trail issues" more often need moderation than historical discussions.

Just though I would throw it out for member discussion before asking administrators directly.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I dig history of any kind...I'm down, good idea.

I think a history forum is a great idea especially for some of the younger members, their's always some one coming on WB asking about history of the trail, would it also include the PCT, CDT, or would it be Primarily AT related. either way i think it's an AWESOME idea.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

I love using Wikipedia to find trail info/history.. Even small trails you would think wouldn't have a wikiepedia page, do.

Although I can never tell if the info is fact or fiction, so I have to take it with a grain of salt. So yeah, it would be nice to have a section here.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

A trail history and/or general history forum would be great, as would a general discussion or off-topic forum. In fact, most other hiking forums I frequent like ADKforum have these. It's a great way for old timers to pass on stories and knowledge of the trail they learned when they were young, and give people more appreciation of the history of the areas that the tail runs through. On ADKforum, I learned alot about the diiferent people who gave the mountains there names, old industry in the area, the history of free black communities, and learning that John Brown's farm, where he is buried, is in the area near Lake Placid.

It's funny to me that two of the longest distance hikes that I went on ended near somewhere related to John Brown. First the was the Northville-Placid Trail, which ended in Lake Placid NY, and the other was the AT from Highpoint NJ to Harpers Ferry WV where John Brown and his sons tried to start a slave insurrection in VA.

Journal Entries
    Images

The Whiteblaze of old used to have more wide ranging and vigorous discussions on all sorts of things associated with the trail. Like this one concerning John Brown.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ohn-Brown-lies

Not sure if there is much interest now. BTW on a totally unrelated to trail note, anyone in the Boston area with an interest in WWII history needs to google up WWII museum and Natick. Take the virtual tour and then think about making an appointment to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tron-Life View Post
    A trail history and/or general history forum would be great, as would a general discussion or off-topic forum. In fact, most other hiking forums I frequent like ADKforum have these. It's a great way for old timers to pass on stories and knowledge of the trail they learned when they were young, and give people more appreciation of the history of the areas that the tail runs through. On ADKforum, I learned alot about the diiferent people who gave the mountains there names, old industry in the area, the history of free black communities, and learning that John Brown's farm, where he is buried, is in the area near Lake Placid.

It's funny to me that two of the longest distance hikes that I went on ended near somewhere related to John Brown. First the was the Northville-Placid Trail, which ended in Lake Placid NY, and the other was the AT from Highpoint NJ to Harpers Ferry WV where John Brown and his sons tried to start a slave insurrection in VA.

As a long time mineral collector the name Lenard Foote has appeared on more than one specimen that I've crossed paths with over the years. Try and google Lenard Foote and you'll find little information about MR. Foote that doesn't come through or from the Len Foote Inn and surrounding places to stay in North Georgia.

Lenard Foote was a conservationist of many disciplines relating to science, namely biology, mineralogy to name a couple and has put together extensive collection through out his prestigious career. This is but one example of a history that might interest some.

++ New Posts ++