WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where to train for a thru?

I live in northern Virginia outside DC, where is a good place to train for the AT on the AT on weekends and small section hikes? My acceptable range would be southern Virginia up to the first 30ish miles of PA. In that space where are some good weekend hikes to get in shape for the AT? I hear MD is easy and I have hiked 30/40 miles in MD and I will say I do need to train because the two Miles up weaverton cliffs I had to
    Take about 15 minutes of breaks and from what I read strong hikers don't need to stop after two miles of mid to low grade up hill. My level ground pace without poles and 35+ pounds of gear(and some extra alcohol weight for the weekend ) is a solid 3mph but my uphill downhill paces need work. What I'm asking I guess is where in the range mentioned above are weekend hikes that will kick my butt?

You're 25, you don't really need to train for a thru. What I would recommend is take up various exercises for life, not for a thru-hike, including weightlifting, because it works one of the most important things for a healthy life -- your musculoskeletal is your body's armor. Listen to the older people that complain of hip/knee/back...pains. Hiking is great, especially for building a cardio base, but for total body health you need more; hiking only works certain muscles and connective tissues in a limited way, building up certain areas very well at the expense of other areas.

BTW, like I said above, hiking is great for building up a cardio base, but it's an aerobic base. After your thru you'll want to go to the next level with anaerobic training.

I'm one old the old whooped ones he speaks of, wished I'd have started sooner....broke bag o'bones.

Agree with the above comments. I train by riding an exercise bike (sometimes a real one). Get some walking miles in (no pack required) so you can build up a nice toughness to the bottom of your feet.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Georgia around March 15th
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHole View Post
    I live in northern Virginia outside DC, where is a good place to train for the AT on the AT on weekends and small section hikes? My acceptable range would be southern Virginia up to the first 30ish miles of PA. In that space where are some good weekend hikes to get in shape for the AT? I hear MD is easy and I have hiked 30/40 miles in MD and I will say I do need to train because the two Miles up weaverton cliffs I had to
    Take about 15 minutes of breaks and from what I read strong hikers don't need to stop after two miles of mid to low grade up hill. My level ground pace without poles and 35+ pounds of gear(and some extra alcohol weight for the weekend ) is a solid 3mph but my uphill downhill paces need work. What I'm asking I guess is where in the range mentioned above are weekend hikes that will kick my butt?
    Unless they've been hiking for several WEEKS straight, everyone takes a break on a steep uphill, even up Weverton. There's no shame in taking a breather.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHole View Post
    What I'm asking I guess is where in the range mentioned above are weekend hikes that will kick my butt?
    Three Ridges + The Priest as a figure eight makes a nice weekend with some decent elevation gain and no need to shuttle cars. It's about a 3 hour drive depending on where you are in NoVA.

There are plenty of blue-blaze trails too. I've been eyeing a few of the trails near Old Rag that looks like they can be hooked up for some pretty good up and down.

I've hiked old rag a few times and love it but I'm getting bored of it and it's a bit crowded. But I highly recommend it for someone who hasn't done it and enjoys a bit of scrambling

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Don't worry. You're a fast hiker already. Even the "by the book" estimates say to add an hour to gain 1000 feet of elevation. Remember that a six-month thru-hike, with one zero a week, requires days of less than 15 miles on average. Far better to go at a slow pace and not get hurt.

Disclaimer: I'm a clueless weekender, and never am out long enough really to get my "trail legs." I go anywhere - but very slowly. But even my slow pace (2 mph, add 40 minutes per 1000 feet of elevation change) would be enough to thru-hike on. (I'll likely never try: thru-hiking doesn't appeal to me. I'm more into a hiking style suited to a weekender: short distances on tough trails, or off-trail entirely.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Start in GA around Feb 14 and by the time you get to VA you will be ready for a thru-hike just kidding bro but seriously the only thing that can get you ready to hike the AT is the AT itself.

the range specified won't help for training because the terrain there is too easy. Among the easiest of the whole trail.

However, this isn't really an issue. You are young and in good shape and you can train as you hike. Just start off with modest miles (5-15 mpd) then increase as appropriate. If possible find some steep rocky terrain and train there!

It takes a good couple of weeks of steady hiking to build up stamina and endurance - what people call "trail legs". Your not going to get to that state by doing weekend or day hikes.

However, the more hiking and just plain walking you do before hand helps. Helps a lot.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Find the most rocky, uneven, loose area and load up your pack to about 50# and traverse that section a few times. I bowed out after GSMNP when I was going 10 ibuprofen a day and listening to my wife ask me to come home every time we talked. However, the thought of how could I have prepared better came up for countless hours of walking. Here's my thoughts:

0. Prep your light gear.
    1. Lighten your pack. (day of departure)
    2. Further lighten your pack. (Mountain crossings)
    3. Now get rid of the extra stuff in your pack and redo what's not working. (Hiawassee)

Bottom line, start slow and realize that you can't fully prepare physically, but you can lessen the strain on your body by getting in some form of shape and reducing the carried load.

Most people, like me, were not as much done in by the movements of walking, but the lateral movements of dodging roots and rocks as well as stepping up and down over elevation changes.

Above all, start about 10 days early and then remind yourself that you have 10 days in the zero day bank to "listen to your body and the weather" before you even start to become "behind schedule"

At the end, the gear question of "Could I do without this for four days until I reached XXX" helped me the most.

Definitely train and exercise but don't overdo it and injure yourself walking on pavement like I did. I would focus on walking to get the range of motion programed into your body, building up your quads for climbing, calves to absorb shock from your feet, abs to help stability and balance, and upper and lower back to avoid back and shoulder pain from your pack. Also try yoga, which I have been doing as I'm not quite ready to start walking seriously yet, and stretching.

Like someone said, exercise for life but don't expect the trail to be easy because you trained. That can lead you to be discouraged and think that you just aren't built for hiking. Give it time and build up miles slowly. Personally, the first week on the trail, I never do more than 10 miles and usually do closer to 5 to work the kinks out by resting and stretching alot. Do go hike and do day trips as they give you an idea of which muscles are work, you'll know, and then try to build those up. Don't listen to people who say don't exercise you'll be fine, that's them. The fitter you are, the more fun hiking will be and the less likely you will want to go home.

Oh yeah, as to where to hike? Anywhere in VA is fine but realize that it is pretty moderate compared to the rest of the trail, but by the time you get to GSMNP, the most rugged part in the south, you should be fine.

Where to train for a thru? Right where ever you are!

IMHO, it's a mistake for you to think you need the biggest baddest terrain to prepare for a thru-hike. The 50+ mile Potomac Heritage Trail and C&O Canal Path, Mt Vernon Trail(what's that like 15-20 miles one way?), 10 mile or so Great Falls Park to River Bend Park, and the AT are great places to improve conditioning. Don't assume you must be on single track to improve conditioning either. What's great about those treks is that you are getting in shape while also seeing plenty of great sights which might make you not even realize you are working out. I find working out is easier this way and when it's part of a continuing lifestyle rather than something I do by say driving to a gym. It's the same if you CHOOSE more often to walk or ride a bike rather than taking the car or other motorized transportation. The act of DECIDING to walk and bike places where you might normally have driven, especially if you do it while wearing your weighted AT thru-hiking backpack, AND in the rain, heat, cold, etc is also valuable training. Personally, I don't even like the word training because it might be viewed as an off again on again situation. I'd rather think in terms of developing healthy lifestyle choices I ALWAYS have as a goal. In other words, I feel I'm always improving always in training. When I approach my life this way I have less sharp valleys in regard to OVERALL fitness between long distance hikes. And, do understand it is not primarily physical fitness that regularly undermines long distance hikes, ESPECIALLY FOR FIRST TIME WANNA BE AT THRU-HIKERS, but lack of mental and emotional fortitude! ie; practice expanding your comfort zones 1) Hike in the rain while wearing your weighted AT thru-hiking backpack 2) sleep outside in your sleeping bag in your backpacking shelter 3) cook on your camp stove for at least a week eating what you will on the AT. 4) laugh at and appreciate it all. These things are easy to read but more difficult to do especially for spoiled wealthy(by the world's standards) U.S. citizens or those that are negative often complaining and making excuses.

Consider, STOP, consider, that completing an AT thru-hike is an endurance event not a sprint or something that's done and over in a few hrs on a playing field. Hear this. KNOW that you will evolve as a person and a backpacker as you complete your desired hikes. Allow that to happen.

In my opinion, it takes 1,000 miles to get your "trail legs" and really start enjoying the hike without the limping or hurting while trying to sleep.
    That said, if you want to get in that shape quicker, start using steps instead of elevators, walk up every escalator instead of standing there, park further away than you have to for everything, and walk instead of driving whenever practical.
    It's a life changing event and takes changing habits.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Tron-Life View Post
    Oh yeah, as to where to hike? Anywhere in VA is fine but realize that it is pretty moderate compared to the rest of the trail, but by the time you get to GSMNP, the most rugged part in the south, you should be fine.
    Don't under estimate Virginia. It has its share of kick butt sections.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I have never felt that you need to hike to build up fitness to hike. If that was the case people would be wearing out the joints very fast. Building up core and aerobic fitness is the key. I walk most weekends for the hell of it but actually do little impact training other than this, preferring a bike and a cross trainer with some other strength and flexibility work. You can always wear the pack on a cross trainer to get used to the feel and get the best positioning, which will still need adjusting on the actual walk. As people have pointed out it is still going to take you some time to get those trail legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    You're 25, you don't really need to train for a thru. What I would recommend is take up various exercises for life, not for a thru-hike, including weightlifting, because it works one of the most important things for a healthy life -- your musculoskeletal is your body's armor. Listen to the older people that complain of hip/knee/back...pains...
    Wow, the timing o this was great

I just got into a very nasty bike accident yesterday and took a very nasty hard fall; actually, it was more like a throw down

I'm in a lot of pain today, especially my ribs, but all-in-all I'm just fine and at virtually 50 years of age I credit my weightlifting (musculoskeletal system).

Just because you don't ride a bike in traffic doesn't mean you're safe, these things can happen to anyone (notice all the threads on falling lately) and even if you are lucky to get thru life without a major injury, you still got mother nature to contend with and she giveth and taketh away, here's just another example of the importance of maintaining a strong skeletal system http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/...a-lie-20120504

Long article, but here's just a little excerpt:

"Muscle withers away if you're not constantly building it, and muscle withers faster as a man ages. Fading muscle mass gives way to fat gain, stiff joints, stumbling-old-man balance, and a serious drop-off in weekend fun, not to mention self-esteem. But if you fight back right, it can all go the other way. And this means getting strong. The bottom line is that not only can lifting weights do as much for your heart health as cardio workouts, but it also provides you with a lean-muscle coat of armor against life's inevitable blows – the way it did for my own father, who broke his back in a climbing accident at age 69, spent months in bed, and recovered strong only because he'd been lifting for 35 years."BTW, here are some of my more visable injures, the others can only be felt, but not seen externally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++