WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Travel Within New Hampshire

I need to get from Gorham/Berlin to Hanover around the middle of September and was wondering what the best travel options are. I have limited funds so a shuttle (which people tend to charge out the ass for) is probably beyond my means, but if the price is right, that could be an option.

I could take Greyhound, but that would be time consuming and costly as the bus goes back to Boston then to Hanover and it would be hard for me to buy my ticket in advance as travel through the Whites is unpredictable. I also hate hiking with a deadline as it usually causes me to overdo it and not enjoy the scenery or my breaks because of the time crunch. I could get a ticket a few days later than I plan to arrive and maybe get a transfer, but then I would probably be charged for the schedule change.

I was wondering if there are intrastate buses that serve the area, but so far I haven't been able to find any.

I wanted to rent a car but I can't because I don't have a normal credit card and I'm from out-of-state. Bummer really as that would have been great.

The last option is to try to hitchhike from Gorham to St. Johnsbury along the 2, and then to Norwich along the 5 or 91. Is hitching illegal in NH? How do people up there feel about hitchhiking and how likely am I to get picked up. Of course results may vary, but has anyone done significant hitchhiking in the state?

Thanks

AT 2012

i just hitched from monadnock to sunapee in new hampshire and had a great time -- pretty much all minor roads thru small towns. it seemed to help to have an 11x17 sign "hiker north to ..." it also helps to be short, cute and old, not in that order. hitching pretty much doubled the driving time for me.
    Lazarus

Images

Make a sign (11×17 ) seems about right , and start hitching . Rt.2 west from Gorham to Lancaster sees enough traffic that you could get a ride in a reasonable amount of time. Of course briging an attractive female along wouldn't hurt either.

Bus services are in Littleton as well.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I'm currently in Hanover heading south, and must say that hitching in NH has been tough. In many years of thumbing it, this is definitely the worst state I've encountered. Every person that did pick me up was from out of state and just passing through.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Bus service in NH is very limited and their all north-south routes, as that is the nature of the state. As you discovered, the only way to get to Hanover by bus is to go to Boston first.

The most direct route to Hanover from Gorham is along a maze of narrow, twisty rural roads and takes 2 or more hours driving non-stop. I'm not sure how well going all the way out to St. J and then down 5 would work out. I would not try the interstate. Boarder patrol would likely have a few words with you.

I once hitched from near Hanover back to Gorham and got lucky. It only took 4 rides. Another time I hitched from Hanover to Littleton (a direct shot up RT 10) That took all day and I had to do a lot of walking. So, yes it can be done, but be ready for it to take all day and maybe camp overnight on the side of the road someplace if your not lucky.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to go from Gorham to Hanover? Skipping the Whites? You might be able to use the AMC shuttle (which isn't cheap) to get most of the way around.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why do you want to go from Gorham to Hanover? Skipping the Whites? You might be able to use the AMC shuttle (which isn't cheap) to get most of the way around.
    Doing and internal SOBO flip-flop so i can hit the Whites early then head south from Gorham to Delwater Gap. I originally wanted to start in NJ but it will be too late in the season and going in the wrong direction weather wise.

I'm starting in Gorham because it is accessble to Greyhound and is slightly easier start then hitting Washington on day one!

hmm You're in a bit of a pickle my friend. There is no easy way to get from Gorham to Hanover. From Gorham There is I think one bus per day. You can go south to Boston or get off in Concord. You could get Vermont Trailways from boston to Hanover.

You could probably hitchhike from Gorham west along route 2 to Saint Johnsbury, VT. Hitching, you'd have to take route 5 to Norwich. You can not hitch along the interstate (unless you are at the entrance ramp). But that would be a very hard hitch I would think.

I'd really suggest you try to prearrange private transportation and as you said that probably won't be cheap.

Try looking at Gorham to Portsmouth NH, then East-west shuttle to Manchester airport and then Bus Manchester to Hanover, East west is a new cheap shuttle service and I know the bus runs from manchester airport to Dartmouth. May take most of the day.

You can probably go Gorham to Concord, then Concord to Hanover. Here's a Greyhound routing, note the two Concord stops (which are probably in different locations, but would be easily walkable presumably).

(START) - GORHAM, NH07:50 AM CLI 0021PINKHAM NOTCH, NH08:07 AM08:07 AM CLI 0021JACKSON, NH08:20 AM08:20 AM CLI 0021NORTH CONWAY, NH08:30 AM08:30 AM CLI 0021CONWAY, NH08:45 AM08:45 AM CLI 0021WEST OSSIPEE, NH09:10 AM09:10 AM CLI 0021MOULTONBOROUGH, NH09:30 AM09:30 AM CLI 0021CENTER HARBOR, NH09:37 AM09:37 AM CLI 0021MEREDITH, NH09:45 AM09:45 AM CLI 0021NEW HAMPTON, NH10:00 AM10:00 AM CLI 0021CONCORD CLI, NH10:45 AM11:00 AM:15CLI 0021BOSTON, MA12:20 PM(TRANSFER) CLI 0021(TRANSFER) - BOSTON, MA02:00 PM GLI 3537MANCHESTER ARPT (E), NH03:00 PM03:00 PM GLI 3537MANCHESTER, NH03:15 PM03:15 PM GLI 3537CONCORD, NH03:45 PM03:45 PM GLI 3537(END) - HANOVER (E), NH04:55 PM(END) GLI 3537

Thanks for the tip! This is much better then going back to Boston, though the scheduling may be tight to get both buses on the same day. I think in all, this will cost about 80 without reserving a ticket. I looks like I will basically be hopping off at Concord and waiting for the bus to come back and go to Hanover. Time wise it's about the same thing but without being crammed in a bus for a few extra hours. Really great idea to transfer ahead rather than take their schedule. I'll make sure remember that one for my next traveling adventure.

Just to indulge my curiosity, If I did take a shuttle, how much would it cost from Gorham/Berlin to Hanover?

You want fast(in terms of trip length), direct, and cheap cheap cheap which makes it more difficult.

Here's a list. Start plugging away. http://www.nh.gov/dot/programs/rideshare/transit.htm

I knew you didn't have to go all the way into Boston. It's not just an entirely Greyhound route that you must take that travels between Gorham/Berlin and Concord either. I know Concord Coach travels between those two cities and you could possibly throw in other bus lines. It doesn't have to be an all Greyhound route! Since $ is a concern check out "The Dog" routes/prices for the entire trip but also check out The Dog as only one part of the leg that Joshua's Dad recommended. It MIGHT be cheaper, OR IT MIGHT NOT, to eliminate "The Dog" on one of those legs he suggested, based on throwing in a possibly cheaper mode of travel on part of that trip. Once you're in Concord you have other traveling options too. It's not all about Greyhound.

++ New Posts ++