WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Big congrats on doing what many of wish we could.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Congratulations! You look like it was a breeze!

We bumped into Pneumo in NY crossing 17A heading toward Wildcat Shelter. You look very familiar, and I suspect we encountered you around then too, but not quite sure.

Anyway, glad you had fun....and that you enjoyed RI!

Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 07-31-2014 at 23:40.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Congrats Texaco! What an accomplishment.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Congrats, I'm glad you got to hike the AT and enjoyed the challenges of a thru hike!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Congrats!!! That's awesome!!

I just bought a pair of New Balance Leadville MT1210 for an upcoming section,, Waynesboro to Harpers Ferry. It looks like you're wearing the same. How'd they hold up on the trail?
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Congratulations! You look like it was a breeze!

We bumped into Pneumo in NY crossing 17A heading toward Wildcat Shelter. You look very familiar, and I suspect we encountered you around then too, but not quite sure.

Anyway, glad you had fun....and that you enjoyed RI!

I see one of Teacher and Snacktimes goodybags...or as I like to call em, "Medicine bags" as they have in them many good things for "what ails ya"

Journal Entries
    Images

WOW, that is so cool that your father was able to experience the climax of your hike. He must still be walking on air with pride.

Images

Congrats man! I just wanted to let you know that I have been following about 5 or 6 blogs this year and yours was by far my favorite.

Are Legs, Dorothy and Rocket girl finished yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    Congrats!!! That's awesome!!

I just bought a pair of New Balance Leadville MT1210 for an upcoming section,, Waynesboro to Harpers Ferry. It looks like you're wearing the same. How'd they hold up on the trail?
    amazing shoes. Never let me down. I went through 3 pairs, which was really pushing it at +900 miles on two of the pairs. You'll see in one of my most recent blog posts, the soles split off. But that was after 900 miles of the Delaware Water Gap to Katahdin... Not the easiest bit for sneakers. According to my reps at NB, 500 miles is about the max you'll want to run them, but they're phenomenal shoes.
    --
    Texaco
    GA-ME 2014 | April 4th - July 26th
    Long Trail Winter 2016 | December 19th - ......
    Endurance Adventuring / A.T. Resource Blog - www.2180miles.com

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    Congrats man! I just wanted to let you know that I have been following about 5 or 6 blogs this year and yours was by far my favorite.

Are Legs, Dorothy and Rocket girl finished yet?
    thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoyed the blog. I've still got a few more posts to get up from the Wilderness, but it should be all wrapped up soon.

I drove back to Baxter State Park with Santa on Thursday and re-summited Katahdin with Legs, Dorothy, & Rocket yesterday on yet another gorgeously sunny day. Great group shots at the sign, I'll be sure to post up.
    --
    Texaco
    GA-ME 2014 | April 4th - July 26th
    Long Trail Winter 2016 | December 19th - ......
    Endurance Adventuring / A.T. Resource Blog - www.2180miles.com

Images

It sounds like you had a fantastic hike. I like the way that you slowed down to experience and enjoy your hike with others toward the end. Impressive all around.

Congratulations!
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Images

ON 5 zero's - impressive walk, good one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Texaco View Post
    thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoyed the blog. I've still got a few more posts to get up from the Wilderness, but it should be all wrapped up soon.
    I followed and really enjoyed your blog. I thought it was one of the best because it was so well written and had more depth to it that the typical "day 23 - went from here to there" content.

It would be interesting to hear some of your thoughts looking retrospectively at your thru. The obvious question is if would you do anything differently in terms of preparation, equipment, or the hike itself. It was interesting in that you started with a very fast pace with the goal of getting to RI to see your grandparents and then took it more slowly thereafter. Did you enjoy one pace more than the other? Do you think the initial fast pace prevented you from experiencing the hike for the hike's sake, including the chance to build relationships with other hikers? It would also be interesting to read about your transition from the trail life back to the everyday life. (I'm afraid I'd pull a Col. Kurtz and stay upriver...)

Congratulations Texaco! You are one lean mean hiking machine. Looking forward to reading your blog.
    Trillium

congratulations! a sense of self mastery you will always take pleasure in for the rest of your life

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    I followed and really enjoyed your blog. I thought it was one of the best because it was so well written and had more depth to it that the typical "day 23 - went from here to there" content.

It would be interesting to hear some of your thoughts looking retrospectively at your thru. The obvious question is if would you do anything differently in terms of preparation, equipment, or the hike itself. It was interesting in that you started with a very fast pace with the goal of getting to RI to see your grandparents and then took it more slowly thereafter. Did you enjoy one pace more than the other? Do you think the initial fast pace prevented you from experiencing the hike for the hike's sake, including the chance to build relationships with other hikers? It would also be interesting to read about your transition from the trail life back to the everyday life. (I'm afraid I'd pull a Col. Kurtz and stay upriver...)
    Agreed, as a semi-pro armchair hiker who reads way too many books, blogs, and journals about the trail yours is one of the best I have ever come across. Go hike the PCT or something next year so I have something good to read. The real world will be there when you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    Agreed, as a semi-pro armchair hiker who reads way too many books, blogs, and journals about the trail yours is one of the best I have ever come across. Go hike the PCT or something next year so I have something good to read. The real world will be there when you get back.
    I like the way you think

thanks for the heads up Leenthree and Offshore, always lookin' for a goodn' been layin' off for a while now...Book marked!

Journal Entries

I am at the point where I will be purchasing or exploring at least, shoe choices and ya'll have given me the perfect pair start off with. I already sent you an email from your blog but I'll ask it from here as well. I am taking a Canon T2i and I know your camera came down with a case of "the wet" but I was wondering what your method was of keeping it dry while in your pack as well as how you kept it dry when you had it out taking photos while it was raining? I'm also looking for a separate small pack to keep it in that I can take along with me when I don't have the pack on my back. Any suggestions or choice of equipment?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Siarl View Post
    I am at the point where I will be purchasing or exploring at least, shoe choices and ya'll have given me the perfect pair start off with.
    The New Balance Leadville MT1210 is an older model shoe,, 2012 or 2013. Places are starting to run out of them because they're no longer in production, I guess. If you find your size, snap em up. Not sure when the newest Leadville model comes out,, maybe next spring.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    The New Balance Leadville MT1210 is an older model shoe,, 2012 or 2013. Places are starting to run out of them because they're no longer in production, I guess. If you find your size, snap em up. Not sure when the newest Leadville model comes out,, maybe next spring.
    Well, I guess I don't mess around...lol...I did notice that they were not in my size no matter where I looked so I settled for the next best thing and that was the MT910 model with Goretex. I live in the desert and will probably not get to test out just how waterproof they are but I want to test them out and see if they can stand up to the hiking that I do here in the Big Bend National Park and Big Bend State Park. They should be here this Friday. I also like NB because they have plenty choices in a wide size.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++