WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default High Rocks Overlook in Maryland

I just got finished hiking the Maryland section of the AT northbound from Harpers Ferry to Penmar. Although I had previuosly hiked this section (GAME '99) I must not have taken the side trail to High Rocks overlook because I am sure I could never forget the utter destruction that I found there. Graffiti covered not only High Rock the the surrounding rocks and trees. Trash and broken glass evrrywhere. It was a slap in the face after hiking 38 miles to get there. It is hideous. .Obviously the road access to this overlook has made it an easily accessible spot for local partiers and vandals. Shouldnt they gate it to make access more difficult at night? I am not sure who is in charge of maintaining this area but I am wondering if anyone knows of any efforts to clean this spot up and protect it from further abuse. Frankly I am embarassed to have this site in my home state. It is truly one of the worst spots Ive seen along the AT.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Ugh....Snacktime and I are headed out there this Sept to finish our MD section. I hope it's cleaned up a little by then. If not, maybe we'll drive up after our hike and try to clean up a little. I don't understand why people feel it necessary to vandalize.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Its a tradition of years past for partiers to spraypaint the old rock, chill. lol

Not little, hikers have never been known to litter have they
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I did pen mar to harpers last November. It was trashed then too. Sad really, after climbing up the steep rock scramble I was treated to graffitied trees and trash like you said. I quickly pressed south onto better cleaner views.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Its a tradition of years past for partiers to spraypaint the old rock, chill. lol
    I can understand the spray paint tradition in some settings.

There's a big rock on the local university campus. It gets painted and repainted constantly with every football game or whatever. No matter that it's sitting in front of a prominent beautiful new building. Sort of a student billboard.

And then on a rural state highway in the east part of my county, there's a rocky bank beside the road with one particular rock shaped like a reptile head with the jaws open. For as long as I can remember, it's been painted to resemble an alligator. Nothing around it is painted or collecting trash.

I've seen the spray painting there at High Rocks in Maryland. Tradition or not, they've taken a place of natural beauty and trashed it.

Really? I'm shocked at this statement coming from someone touting LNT principles at the end of their post. How is trashing the crap out of a public space being considerate of other visitors?

This section is maintained by the "Potomac Appalachian trail club" any suggestions,concerns,or questions should be directed to them, Graffiti and trash is a very common occurence north of Harpers Ferry through Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, and elsewhere along the trail, and yes while most of the problem stems from Local partiers, but alot of the graffiti/trash you see in the harder to get to places and shelters is done by HIKERS. for example Tinker Cliffs in central VA is covered with Graffiti.

Virginia Tortoise

I've participated in PATC cleanup work trips of High Rock. We got close to 50 bags of trash when I did this back in the 1990's. We clean the area, spray paint the rock gray and it gets trashed again.

"Graffiti Tossers" a new book for those who appreciate the art of throwing graffiti artists from high places. I hear if you do it right they bounce twice....

Images

Swampfoxygirl is spot on with her assessment and specifically as to what a horrendous jolt this area gives you as you hike through. I had a similar reaction this past April when I hiked Harpers Ferry to PENMAR. As a PATC maintainer (South Shenandoah National Park), my thoughts are that trying to keep the actual AT (not to mention all the other side trails/major trails PATC maintains) up to par and serviceable with the comparatively few volunteers that are maintainers is a tough task. Short of posting a permanent overseer here I do not see how PATC can stop the graffiti which, seems to have become a local tradition. Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

I was there on Tuesday. Theres alot of graffiti, but the trash wasnt overwhelmingly shocking. I found some in the forest on the walk back to the AT. Disappointing, but not surprising given theres a public access road.

https://flic.kr/p/oCymnQ

Quote Originally Posted by jdenkevitz View Post
    I was there on Tuesday. Theres alot of graffiti, but the trash wasnt overwhelmingly shocking. I found some in the forest on the walk back to the AT. Disappointing, but not surprising given theres a public access road.

https://flic.kr/p/oCymnQ
    Oh my word, that's awful. I've always heard of the graffiti there, but never saw a picture...as far as Art goes and contrast +5 as far as graffiti in the great outdoors goes -10...Boo

Just hiked PenMar Park to High Rock yesterday (8/7/14) and was 'treated' to graffiti there, and a bit along the way, too. Sign clearly says "No Spray Painting". Never have understood graffiti. Dogs urinate to mark their territories, is graffiti a way of marking territory? Seems to have ancient origins, too, as seen in cave paintings.
    20,000_Year_Old_Cave_Paintings_Hyena.jpg
    136 contiguous miles of MD + rocky PA-AT down, but 2042 miles to go

Quote Originally Posted by swampfoxygirl View Post
    I just got finished hiking the Maryland section of the AT northbound from Harpers Ferry to Penmar. Although I had previuosly hiked this section (GAME '99) I must not have taken the side trail to High Rocks overlook because I am sure I could never forget the utter destruction that I found there. Graffiti covered not only High Rock the the surrounding rocks and trees. Trash and broken glass evrrywhere. It was a slap in the face after hiking 38 miles to get there. It is hideous. .Obviously the road access to this overlook has made it an easily accessible spot for local partiers and vandals. Shouldnt they gate it to make access more difficult at night? I am not sure who is in charge of maintaining this area but I am wondering if anyone knows of any efforts to clean this spot up and protect it from further abuse. Frankly I am embarassed to have this site in my home state. It is truly one of the worst spots Ive seen along the AT.
    it was like that 28 years ago when i first walked the trail. used to walk the road then

++ New Posts ++