WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you live near the trail?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Do you live near the trail?

Just out of curiosity, what percentage of our members live in trail states, and what part of the trail?

The Trailhead that goes North out of Hanover is a 3 minute walk from my house; kind of convenient when one get tired of what passes for civilization in these parts. I think Lone Wolf has me beat, tho, as the trail in Damascus is about 30 paces from his front door.

I live about 50 yards from the AT here in Damascus.

I may live east of the Mississippi, but just barely!

14 miles from Swift Run Gap in Shenandoah NP

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Not as close as LW or BJ but the trail is about a mile via road and 1/4 mile bushwack up the western slopes of Bear Mtn in Wallingford, Vt.
    Cin

Images

I'm jealous. I have to drive at least 2 hours to hit the trail.

DEbW,

I too, drive just under 2 hours from the trail. Living in the Atlanta area I can be to any section in GA within two hours. I am so excited that the thru-season is here.

It is so much fun to go and watch the aspiring thru-hikers leave Springer and to go to Neals Gap and watch what is being packed to be mailed home.

Last year I watch a guy pull a pair of 2+pound ski goggles out of his pack to mail back, and while I was laughing he pulled out a metal claw hammer. I have since learned that hammers are commonly found on the trail at the start.

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

I live 20 minutes east of the trail in Greenfield Massachusetts. I live in the Pioneer Valley at the foot of the Berkshires.

Images

I'm also Like Happy I'm north of Atlanta about 1.5hrs south of Springer.
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

GAME 2000
    Images

I live in the northeast suburbs of Atlanta in Doraville, Georgia. I am probably more familiar with the highways in north Georgia than I am around Atlanta.

Youngblood

Default the doyle

about a 30 minute drive to duncannon, pa
    SEMPER PARATUS

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Atlanta...Ne corner...easy access to Ga 400 and I85...US441...springer ...woody gap, neels's gap,unicoi gap,
    dicks creek gap, franklin NC, winding stair gap, Noc, New found gap , davenport gap Fontana..within 2-3 hours!...

I think this means that were getting to many and too BIG of roads and developement in these areas... Hwy 28 running from wesser over to fontana used to be a slow go..but the road builders are now extending US 74 a divided four lane,,limited access type "smokymtn freeway" all the way to stecoah gap.....

it's not being officailly called a extension of US 74 expressway but that's what it is... they call it just a widening of hwy 28...Land surrounding fontana lake is being sold to the second home builder's market...this area is starting to really grow...the view shed off the smokies will be filling up more and more light from houses esp the one the the big security lights...

back on the western end of the park and large tract of land has been put into a conservation trust..land along the foothills parkway road..wish I had a link..

this extension out of bryson city ...probably to hook up the everproposed new trans mtn road..there has been talk forever about building a new road across the smokies in the western end of the park...and the talks are beginning again...this was a road that was defeated in the 60's ....lead by harvey broome...SAVE THE SMOKIES Hike...the road builders are clamoring agian today..soon we may have a addtional road crossing in the western end of the park...just think you could go real light up shuckstack out of fontana...resupplly at the new road crossing and head across the top of the smokies ridge just like lighting on a limb...sounds great doesn't it!

GA-VA/ME-VA '04

I live 20 mins from Kent ,CT.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Use to ...lived in Marietta about an hour or so south of Springer. Relocated to Wyoming this year so getting to the trail is bit more tricky !!
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I used to live a few hours from the mid-Atlantic section of the AT (DWG to Lee, MA), but I moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan after college, making it 8.5 hours to the nearest AT crossing near the Washington Monument outside of Hagerstown, MD. Kind of makes it tough to get to and from the trailheads with all the 1-2 week stints I'm doing, especially since I've done the center section from Buena Vista, VA to the Whites. It's about 11 hours to Springer and well over 14 to Katahdin if I go through Canada. Not that I've spent much time looking at routes and drive times!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Cool

Im about 2 hours from both the pen mar area at the MD-PA border and where the Potomac crosses the MD-WVA border which isnt to bad but I sure wouldnt mind living within a few miles of the AT!! Streamweaver

Images

I live in Lincoln New Hampshire, about 7 miles from Kinsman Notch and 7 miles from Franconia Notch. I can see the summit of Moosilauke from my bedroom window.
    5/2/04 I just moved into the center of North Woodstock. My view of Moosilauke is gone but I can now see bits of the Franconias (and the roof of The Cascade Lodge!) I'm now less than five miles from the trail.
    Last edited by celt; 05-02-2004 at 09:14.

Registered Troll
    Images

I live two blocks east of the Mississippi. Have to drive at least 10 hours to hike in the Appalachians. Start to feel better as soon as I get past Birmingham, the population changes and I-59 starts climbing up .......

Pretty close, on the MA/NH state line. We're in Old Orchard Beach, ME most of the summer. Only a morning's drive from the AT anywhere from MA to Katahdin. I like it when old threads pop up again :O)
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++