WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Camel's Hump was a good climb, great views at the top, and a tough 4000+ foot descent to the river. (It's actually about 3800 from the top, but you get to climb and descend the same few hundred feet several times. ) That descent wiped me out pretty well.

Yeah, old guys can do it. I did it. But that doesn't make it easy.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Rolex: As far as my LT worries went, it wasn't fear-of-heights. It was more about narrow ledges with no room for error. Camel's Hump is mostly no big deal, it's no worse than anything in the White Mountains. Except for one short section coming off a rock escarpment on the north slope... just fifty feet of "trail," but zero room for error on those fifty feet. It was maybe a 15 foot drop if you slipped. Most likely not kill you but probably ruin your day or worse. Wish I'd taken a photo, but I was too intent just getting through it.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Rolex: As far as my LT worries went, it wasn't fear-of-heights. It was more about narrow ledges with no room for error. Camel's Hump is mostly no big deal, it's no worse than anything in the White Mountains. Except for one short section coming off a rock escarpment on the north slope... just fifty feet of "trail," but zero room for error on those fifty feet. It was maybe a 15 foot drop if you slipped. Most likely not kill you but probably ruin your day or worse. Wish I'd taken a photo, but I was too intent just getting through it.
    Rafe, I'm sure. That was intended for the original poster who said he was afraid of heights. I remember the same thing you describe once on the side of pikes peak. Not far per se down but enough to mess up the day!

Hoping to get off work to make the LT soon, but according to you guys that have "been there done that", it's gotten too late this year it appears.

I'll add my 2 cents worth. There were a few places on the trail that made me a little nervous. Camel's hump only had a brief bit that made me go hmmmm....and that was mostly because of the wind. There were also some bits on Burnt Rock Mountain that I would definitely avoid in wet weather. Mansfield was the only place that really got me, and although for the most part I hike alone, I hiked that with some friends I made on the trail. If you have issues with heights, this might help.
    All in all, the anticipation of Mansfield was worse than the actual ascent. The worst bit was just north of the Needle's Eye, and was quite doable, especially if you have someone for moral support, coaching, and to hand your pack to. If, when you get there it still seems like too much, consider the bypass.
    This is a wonderful and very memorable part of the trail. Take your time with it, relax and when you have finished you might just be looking forward to doing it again.

Journal Entries
    Images

The only reason not to use bad weather by pass trails in bad weather is ego. A youth full ego which I had a long time ago. The GMC did a lot of work putting in some by pass trails. Lots of people use them for safety reasons. I have and I've also waited out bad weather. Use common sense. Hey there are both good and bad that come with age.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by North Star View Post
    I'll add my 2 cents worth. There were a few places on the trail that made me a little nervous. Camel's hump only had a brief bit that made me go hmmmm....and that was mostly because of the wind. There were also some bits on Burnt Rock Mountain that I would definitely avoid in wet weather. Mansfield was the only place that really got me, and although for the most part I hike alone, I hiked that with some friends I made on the trail. If you have issues with heights, this might help.
    All in all, the anticipation of Mansfield was worse than the actual ascent. The worst bit was just north of the Needle's Eye, and was quite doable, especially if you have someone for moral support, coaching, and to hand your pack to. If, when you get there it still seems like too much, consider the bypass.
    This is a wonderful and very memorable part of the trail. Take your time with it, relax and when you have finished you might just be looking forward to doing it again.
    yup. now that i've been through there (and it was in pretty messy weather) and i think back to the experience, the part that had me most worried was the thought that there might be something even harder/crazier ahead -- so bad that i would have to turn back and go through the tough stuff i'd already done... again. now that i've been there, it isn't nearly as scarey. same would apply to katahdin. i'd definitely walk that way again, given the chance....
    Lazarus

Hiking the LT this past summer we were lucky enough to traverse Mansfield and Camel's hump in good weather. We were hiking SOBO and if it was terrible weather descending Mansfield on the south side would have been sketchy. There are some parts that get your heart rate up and you really want 3 points of contact at all times. Just getting yourself onto some of the ladders was risky.

Hiking down the south side of Camels Hump at night... was sketchy. Thank god it was dry.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++