WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Brand of Carabiner and Rings for Hammock Setup

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone using carabiners and rings for their hammock setup could recommend some brands/sizes to me. I'm not a climber so I'm not sure about these things.

I'm also aware that some hammock manufactures recommend against using these for setup. Here is a screenshot from this youtube video of the type of thing I'm taking about. Thanks.

hammock setup.jpg
    --

Hike Safe.

So are you using a Hennessy?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

The 'biners I carry are from Black Diamond, but that's just what I happen to have picked up. Petzl, or Mad Rock, or Omega Pacific are just as good.

For hanging a hammock I'd want some sort of locking gate, NOT a wiregate or spring-loaded gate. (Mine use a screw lock.) It turns out that's a major advantage for me because when I'm on the move, the same 'biner I use for a PCT bearbag hang is the one that holds my camera case to my pack. Before I started using a screw-gate 'biner for that, I had a trip where - without my being aware of it - my camera case got caught in brush and fell off the pack. (Another hiker found it - and left it in the register box for me, so that I found it when I signed out. God bless him!)

Always make sure that the load pulls on the body of the 'biner and not on the gate. And if you're using treehuggers or a quickdraw or anything with webbing on a pear-shaped 'biner, the webbing goes at the big end and the rope at the little end.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGringo View Post
    So are you using a Hennessy?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    The 'biners I carry are from Black Diamond, but that's just what I happen to have picked up. Petzl, or Mad Rock, or Omega Pacific are just as good.

For hanging a hammock I'd want some sort of locking gate, NOT a wiregate or spring-loaded gate.
    Thanks for the advice.
    --

Hike Safe.

With my Hennessey I use SMC Descender rings and CAMP Nano 23 carabiners.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Any standard carabiner and rap ring will be OK. Just be sure that you are using equipment designed for climbing and not the freebie carabiners that intended for use as keychains, bottle clips etc. The force rating will be marked on the carabiners and rings designed to support human weight. For my Hennessey, I use Black Diamond Neutrino carabiners (rated 24kN long axis and 7 kN across the gate) and Omega Pacific rap rings (rated 20 kN). I grabbed them on Amazon last year.
    Last edited by Offshore; 08-04-2014 at 10:34.

I just walked into a local EMS & got whatever was on sale in the climbing section... Think these were $5.95 each?

I have no idea what they're rated for, but I'm a fatty & have never had any issues. I think anything rated for climbing (and protecting during a fall) will cover a static load in a hammock. I'm scientifically illiterate, but to my simple thinking, it works lol

Great illustration, Likeapuma. The ratings are shown on the right hand one in the photo. Its rated at 24 kN along the long axis (L to R in the photo) and looks like 8 kN across the gate (top to bottom in photo). Note that these are force (mass x acceleration) ratings, not mass. A kN is equal to about 224.8 foot-pounds of force. Never use a carabiner without a rating to hang - its probably a keychain...

Thanks for all the advice. I went with Omega Pacific Rings (20 kN) and DMM carabiners (24 kN).

For kn to pounds - http://www.convertunits.com/from/kN/to/pounds
    --

Hike Safe.

...and if your lookin' for an even lighter in weight technique, check out a marlin spike set up.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...and if your lookin' for an even lighter in weight technique, check out a marlin spike set up.
    ...pretty bomb proof and strong, but definitely requires more attention to set up correctly, and maintain.

++ New Posts ++