WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default TT Rainbow vs. TT Moment DW

Opinions please.

Looking to purchase a TT soon, either the rainbow or moment dw & would like your advice & opinions of these two.

Thanks!

Images

I had the original Moment - it's a nice tent and sets up very quickly. Plenty of room inside. If I were buying a solo Tarptent today, I would get the Notch -- two doors, two vestibules, uses my hiking sticks (so no extra pole to carry), lots of ventilation when needed, and lighter than the others.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

The new Moment DW has 2 doors and vestibules. It sets up very fast with only 2 stakes and one pole inserted into a sleeve. Would be very easy to set up with gloves on. There are 2 side guyouts for windy conditions which do help.004.JPG
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Images

Sweet, I hadn't seen that one. Basically like the Notch except it uses the curved pole instead of trekking poles. Very nice - that would make my decision more difficult. (Darn you Henry Shires!!! )
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Sweet, I hadn't seen that one. Basically like the Notch except it uses the curved pole instead of trekking poles. Very nice - that would make my decision more difficult. (Darn you Henry Shires!!! )
    Compound your dilemma with the Double Moment. Look in What's New at TarpTent.com.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I'm a one pole hiker so the tent pole is nice...
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Compound your dilemma with the Double Moment. Look in What's New at TarpTent.com.
    Thanks, Wayne Holy cow, that's nice. We already have two 2-person tents, a Lunar Duo and a Hexamid Twin. But man that's nicely designed for bad weather use - looks like almost everything can be open even in the rain.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Indeed. Just when I thought that the StratoSpires 1 or 2 would be right for me, Henry throws out the Moment 2.
    Flipping coins again.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I took the new Moment DW with me on my longish section this year - basically, I liked it - for a tent that only has two anchor points, it was remarkably sturdy as long as you pitched it the right direction for the wind. I really enjoyed the fact that it was NOT dependent on hiking poles, as I tend to break the dratted things frequently. Is it heavier than the Lightheart Gear/Stratospire/Notch tents? Yes, but not by that much, and it literally took less than a minute to set up by the time I got used to it. Vestibules are big enough to shield a pack from the elements, as well. My only quibbles with it were that it was a little small - I am seriously considering looking into a 2 person sized tent for future endeavors, as long periods of time spent in the Moment got a little claustrophobic for me, but that would be for any one person tent. The only other thing that was not great about it was the one rainstorm with torrential downpours where the rain splashed up under the fly and into the tent. . . but that was, obviously, not a common thing to happen. All in all, I think that the Moment DW was a great tent, provided one can tolerate a one person sized tent.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    ...Very nice - that would make my decision more difficult. (Darn you Henry Shires!!! )
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Indeed. Just when I thought that the StratoSpires 1 or 2 would be right for me, Henry throws out the Moment 2.
    Flipping coins again.
    My recent dilemma was choosing the reliable old Contrail over the new Moment. It was pretty much flipping a coin. I went with the Contrail--simpler, lighter, cheaper, and a proven quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    My recent dilemma was choosing the reliable old Contrail over the new Moment. It was pretty much flipping a coin. I went with the Contrail--simpler, lighter, cheaper, and a proven quantity.
    Good input. Thanks.

Wayne

++ New Posts ++