WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I can't see how you can cook anything directly on those grates without it falling through into the fire anyway. They were designed for car camp grounds where you'd use the grate to hold your cast iron frying pan and pots over the fire with. These prefab fire rings with the grate made it into the back country because that's the Forest Service's standard issue fire rings, not that they would be practical to use there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    The hot fire would esentially 'clean' the grates. I'm generally more concerned about the rust at that point. Is eating rust harmful to your health?
    Nope, unless the rust flakes are large enough to cut you. It's iron.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

i carry a stretch of aluminum foil anyway, folded longways down the middle, rolled loose, fits in kit

i wouldn't cook directly on their grate, for all of the above reasons

Treat a grill grate the same way you'd treat a cast iron skillet...apply heat and lard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Treat a grill grate the same way you'd treat a cast iron skillet...apply heat and lard.
    But isn't that the problem for the next user, and the reason for cleaning in the first place. While rust in it's self does not cause tetanus, the micro Oolitic porous nature of it's surface can harbor the nasty's...namely Tetanus. But I agree burning out a knew skillet in a fire and treating is what I do as well, but that's at home and in a controlled environment where I can use hot water to rinse and heat and dry before storage, a grate left outside all the time...not so much.

I think you've already addressed this issue in your other thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...you-sick/page2

As we noted in that thread the grills won't make you sick. You probably got sick from the food or other method. I'd go aluminum foil all the way though. It folds neatly in your pack and doesn't take up any space. When you're ready to cook, unfold and you're good to go.

If you get food poisoning any other way or you just have bad diarrhea and you don't know why eat some clean powdered charcoal. About a tsp or so should clear you right up depending on severity.

You can cut an onion in half and rub it on the grate when the metal is a little bit hot. If the grate is in terrible shape it will not work, but it is perfect for removing a pesky layer of dust/soot/rust/whatever. Plus it helps season the food a bit! I learned this trick from my Turkish friends who are master grillers

I know it's an old thread, but maybe it will be a timely resurrection for someone

I have gotten better at cleaning them after use and spraying them with cooking spray. It seems to help a lot. When I clean them, it tends to show the places that there is iron or porcelain flaking off. I just make sure I scrape those areas to remove any loose chunks. I am hoping that by faithfully cleaning after every use, the porcelain and grates overall will wear better. Even with poor maintenance, I have always gotten many good years out of a grate. As long as there are no breaks in the grate, I keep using them.

It seems like the front right corner of most of my weber q qrills like all this types https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-campfire-grill-grate/ is the area that seems to deteriorate the quickest. I have one grill that has a small corner section out of it. That is the grill that I use for camping, but I am looking to switch to a newer electric Q that I recently acquired. I am not sure if I will keep the old gas Q100 for parts or replace the grate. It is otherwise a great Q100 that is a good ten years plus old.

Just some suggestions and one good video from Youtube, that I hope will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    OMG - the owl concurs with Just Bill your upchuck issues have nothing to do with the grill.. Take a wire hardware brush instead. I suggest watching a little of Bobby Flay on burgers and avoid eating Bubba Burgers... - bit nasty if you know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCz_BWpR56E
    PSA: based on the fact that I had a bristle from a wire brush (used to clean my grill) lodged in my epiglotis, I urge folks in the strongest possible terms to use something else for grill cleaning. Foil works well.

-

I just rub the grating with a rock, maybe finish with a stick - good enough for my type

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    How would one propose cleaning campground charcoal racks before using them? Last weekend I brought my own light weight grates to put on top of the rusty ones at campsite. Would pouring light fluid on the grate and igniting it work?
    ugh, I would strongly advise to never use those grates

Quote Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
    PSA: based on the fact that I had a bristle from a wire brush (used to clean my grill) lodged in my epiglotis, I urge folks in the strongest possible terms to use something else for grill cleaning. Foil works well.
    I quit using a brush after reading an article about issues like the one you described.I would like to give up on grilled food altogether based on things I have read about grilled foods and cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
    Omg....I know a guy who this happened to! He had to be rushed to the ER.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    How would one propose cleaning campground charcoal racks before using them? Last weekend I brought my own light weight grates to put on top of the rusty ones at campsite. Would pouring light fluid on the grate and igniting it work?
    Rust won't hurt you. I scrape anything noticeable off with a spatula, and then just make sure the grate is hot before putting anything on it. I don't really worry about it.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Pumice stone works remarkably well (see this product on Amazon). Of course, you likely won't have one in your pack, in which case I'd just use a rag or paper towel to wipe off whatever crud I could, and then use the d@amn grate. Hey, I eat the ramen I spill on the picnic table.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++