WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone interested in a SOBO Section Pearisburg to Atkins/Marion starting Aug24pm-25?

Hi, I will be doing this with a shuttle to Pearisburg, from my family while we are in Marion and after a church "homecoming" on Aug 24. will do the 88.6 miles in 5-6 days and then return to AL by Greyhound bus.

Happy to share the Marion to Pearisburg shuttle on Monday or Sunday afternoon if you can go along and can average 15 miles per day with me. Actually if you leave your car at the south end point, or use the bus like I plan to do, you can start out with me and go slower, (or faster) if you find we aren't compatible. If you had time to hike farther south to Damascus, you could leave your car there and I could bring you back to start point also. Beginners welcome as I have lots of experience and some extra gear if you need ask questions or borrow something. I'm 53 and have walked all the trail south of Harpers Ferry except this section and from Pearisburg north to Daleville/Roanoke.

Edwin

After checking bus routes, I'm going to change this to a NOBO walk because it's only a 32 mile shuttle from Pearisburg to Christiansburg where Megabus stops. They have cheaper fares than Greyhound also, going south to Atlanta or north to D.C where you can transfer anywhere else. The shuttle from Marion to Pearisburg would be 75 miles, even though my parents would drive to for me I expect. I prefer hiking opposite the main foot traffic so I can meet more people, without seeing anybody "too much", but maybe this time of year it will be mostly section hikers going both ways??

Checking back in. I decided not to do the section solo. However, I'll consider walking this section and/or the Pearisburg to Daleville section with someone or small group in Nov or Dec. If not then, maybe in the spring.

++ New Posts ++