WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Boots or Shoes?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-31-2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Age
    31
    Posts
    40

    Default Boots or Shoes?

    Ive never bothered to buy fancy hiking shoes before because I usually olny do day hikes so I end up running around in walmart tennis shoes. Ive sprained by ankle a couple of times and have a tendency to roll/land on my ankles as well (my entire family is like this! Its fun to watch them play sports.) I was wondering whether or not to get boots or trail runners because of my ankles being all noodly.
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-31-2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,276
    Images
    17

    Default

    Are you doing ankle strengthening exercises?

  3. #3
    Registered User tarditi's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    180

    Default

    I was a dedicated boot-er, recently converted to shoes. My feet are happier now.

  4. #4
    Registered User johnnybgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-28-2007
    Location
    Midlothian,Virginia
    Posts
    3,080
    Images
    76

    Default

    First and foremost wear what is comfortable for your feet. In order to know what that is go to an outfitter that sells hiking shoes and boots. Get your feet " mapped out" so the staff can then recommend what insole works best for you. From this point it's trial & error. Buy the best feeling boot and trail runner and then save the receipt

    Google search techniques to stengthen the muscle/ ligaments that help stabilize the ankles.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

  5. #5

    Default

    I started rolling ankles about a decade or so ago when i was wearing trail shoes and moved into high top boots snugly laced. Since then a lot of close calls, but no sprains or stingers. You can get decent boots for the same cost as a good pair of hiking shoes.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-31-2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Age
    31
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Are you doing ankle strengthening exercises?
    Thats a thing?!
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-31-2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Age
    31
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    First and foremost wear what is comfortable for your feet. In order to know what that is go to an outfitter that sells hiking shoes and boots. Get your feet " mapped out" so the staff can then recommend what insole works best for you. From this point it's trial & error. Buy the best feeling boot and trail runner and then save the receipt

    Google search techniques to stengthen the muscle/ ligaments that help stabilize the ankles.
    Does REI do that because thats the nearest store to me.
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

  8. #8

    Default

    I typically work and hike in light hikers that were originally bought for hiking in hot/wet climates (rain forest). They are still comfy, but the insoles are starting to separate. I'm leaning toward another pair of those (Solomons) or something similar. I do roll my ankles on occasion, but will be working to strengthen them over the coming months. I haven't ruled out trail runners, but have to test some out first. My foot comfort and health is my number one concern for this hike. If my feet ain't happy, I ain't happy.
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-21-2013
    Location
    Rose City, MI
    Age
    44
    Posts
    22

    Default

    I was going to do trail runners until talking to my doctor today. I am a leg amputee so my left leg/foot does ALL the work really.. and I have trouble with that heal so he suggested I go with at least a mid cut boot.. that way I can wear my orthotics in there as well to soften the blow to my heal.

  10. #10

    Default

    Honestly...sometimes I wear trail runners, and sometimes I wear the boots, depends on what and wear I'm hikin'

  11. #11
    Registered User TrippLite's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-06-2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    109
    Images
    4

    Default

    Here's an old thread on ankle strenghening exercises
    Ironically enough, God's last name isn't Damn....

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-01-2013
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Honestly...sometimes I wear trail runners, and sometimes I wear the boots, depends on what and wear I'm hiking'
    rocketsocks,

    I am hiking The Minong Ridge trail of Isle Royale NP in a couple weeks. I am struggling with leaving my boots behind. Was there ever a time you've hiked in trail runners and wish you'd have brought boots?

    Thanks

  13. #13
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    75
    Posts
    8,432

    Default

    I thought that talk of real leather one piece upper boots was a Banning Offense around here? I own 2 pair of boots. I wish I had the time to wear them out so that I could move on to some fancy Approach/Trail Running footwear.

    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace



  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    rocketsocks,

    I am hiking The Minong Ridge trail of Isle Royale NP in a couple weeks. I am struggling with leaving my boots behind. Was there ever a time you've hiked in trail runners and wish you'd have brought boots?

    Thanks
    Yes, this winter, snow about two inches, and a icy puddle through a swampy area had me wishing (flooded my shoe and froze ma toes)...and the PA rocks I think I'd have enjoyed more with a little more support, cause I certainly wasn't concerned with making time, so a slow stroll a little more sure footed may have kept me from one, a face plant, and two driven into the ground on my knee with the weight of the pack laughin' at me all the while. All this said, in the summer when it's real hot, I'm liking my Brooks cicadas, there an earlier generation, forget which just now, maybe 6's, but they vent well, are quick to dry, and have a rock plate in the forefoot which helps to spare the metatarsals a bit. I'm not a big hiker like many here, just learned from askin' and watchin' and tryin' different things...still tryin to figure it all out.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I thought that talk of real leather one piece upper boots was a Banning Offense around here? I own 2 pair of boots. I wish I had the time to wear them out so that I could move on to some fancy Approach/Trail Running footwear.

    Wayne
    I understand this concept well, hehe, too funny.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-31-2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,276
    Images
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Farren View Post
    Thats a thing?!
    Why wouldn't it be? Exercising even strengthens your bones. There's a lot of examples on youtube. There are some old threads here too. All I want to add is not to over do it. If you can't feel that point, one way to tell is by trying to balance on one foot. If you can only do it for a few seconds when you can normally do it for a minute or more, it's time to stop.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Yes, this winter, snow about two inches, and a icy puddle through a swampy area had me wishing (flooded my shoe and froze ma toes)...and the PA rocks I think I'd have enjoyed more with a little more support, cause I certainly wasn't concerned with making time, so a slow stroll a little more sure footed may have kept me from one, a face plant, and two driven into the ground on my knee with the weight of the pack laughin' at me all the while. All this said, in the summer when it's real hot, I'm liking my Brooks cicadas, there an earlier generation, forget which just now, maybe 6's, but they vent well, are quick to dry, and have a rock plate in the forefoot which helps to spare the metatarsals a bit. I'm not a big hiker like many here, just learned from askin' and watchin' and tryin' different things...still tryin to figure it all out.
    I should add...after I got home from that 3 day PA rocks trek, my feet were trashed and for a week straight I was hobbled and not doin much but chillin' out.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-31-2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Age
    31
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Why wouldn't it be? Exercising even strengthens your bones. There's a lot of examples on youtube. There are some old threads here too. All I want to add is not to over do it. If you can't feel that point, one way to tell is by trying to balance on one foot. If you can only do it for a few seconds when you can normally do it for a minute or more, it's time to stop.
    I looked it up online a decided to get a balance board which I'll be doing every day for 20min. along with walking 8 miles, pilates and swimming. When ever I can manage the time I'll also be hiking at the local state park which is really small and the trails are all flat. Hopefully with a all this work I'll be able to get into decent shape before the hike. The hike will be difficult either way but I am hell bent on reducing my risk of injury.
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

  19. #19

    Default

    Trail shoes. You'll regret wearing boots after awhile.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-13-2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,553

    Default

    I need a very stiff sole because of a nerve injury in my left foot. My Lowa renagade boots fit well and enough support for my bum foot. 1 lb heavier than many trail runners per pair. Is there a stiff enough trail runner I might consider?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •