WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

And I have some Jewish friends who pay close attention to which organization's hashgacha is on the packaging. (These are the ones who, for instance, insist on chalav yisrael dairy products - they don't believe that chalav stam is ever acceptable, it's all chalav akum. There's frum, and then there's meshugah-frum.)

I very seldom use packaged backpacking food. I prepare freezer bag meals at home. But it's about seasoning them to my taste, not about dietary restrictions.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

There have been some good suggestions, but the OP was asking about kosher items to sell in his store.

Oreos are Kosher

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

dumb question, but is it possible to sell dried "regular" food that happens to be used for backpacking? Or does it have to be a backpacking specific brand?

One quick example of what I mean, many brands of beef jerky are kosher (at least from quick google searches)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

That is my thought as well... that other than products such as Harmony House, the solution would seem to be to stock those grocery items that are kosher, that also appeal to all backpackers.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    dumb question, but is it possible to sell dried "regular" food that happens to be used for backpacking? Or does it have to be a backpacking specific brand?

One quick example of what I mean, many brands of beef jerky are kosher (at least from quick google searches)
    That is what I was trying to get at in post #17. One survey of any large grocery store's food labels in the U.S. focusing in on foods that commonly appeal to backpackers and, although we might not all be accustomed to looking for and finding Kosher labeled food, you'll find quite a few products that appeal to veru wide range of backpackers including those seeking Kosher labeled products. A good place to start looking for Kosher branded products is in the International Food, Organic, vegetarian/Vegan, Gluten free, Diabetic, etc aisles. You'll notice plenty of those types of products multi labeled because they appeal to a larger crossover/multi-use/diet market.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    ..... the solution would seem to be to stock those grocery items that are kosher, that also appeal to all backpackers.
    This what I said back in post #11.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    This what I said back in post #11.
    Oh I don't know... I was just echoing what someone had said back in post #7
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    BTW, I made a mistake before possibly misleading readers to assume it is only Jews who eat Kosher. Not only do Vegans and vegetarians sometimes start off seeking food that is labeled Kosher, and then further review it to see if it meets their specific dietary requirements, but if you visit middle eastern food stores or those that carry products that are vended to ethnicities/nationalities and religions such as Islam(Moslems) such as Turkish, Egyptian, Morrocan, Lebanese, etc you'll also find Kosher branded foods. From what I gather and have heard something like more than 50% of the food available in the U.S. is Kosher but without carrying the Kosher seal/label. Some say as high as 75%. Know why you don't see the certified Kosher seal/label that often though? You have to pay a fee to a Rabbi to have that seal/label.
    For strict observers, the Kosher certification is necessary. The rules are not just limited to ingredients (no pork, shellfish, etc) but the preparation is also important. For example, the same knife cannot be used to cut both kosher and non-kosher foods. Of course not everybody is so strict, but as you pointed out for non-Jewish people the kosher certification (especially for meat) is a sign of quality. Kosher meat guarantees that the animal was killed in a humane and sanitary way. So chicken is a permissible animal to eat, but if the chicken is killed improperly it is not kosher.

And some foods are always kosher - for example, fresh fruits and vegetables require no certification, as long as they are unprocessed and free of bugs.

As you and Odd Man Out mentioned, Muslims often accept kosher food as halal. (although not the other way around, as kosher laws tend to be more strict)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...h_dietary_laws

Obvious that several in this thread have or had no idea whatsoever of what kosher food is all about, so why guess or offer suggestions on topics we are not familiar with ?

http://www.myownmeals.com/emergency-camping/

Here is an article you might find helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    http://www.myownmeals.com/emergency-camping/

Here is an article you might find helpful.
    Ugh. Kosher or not, only gomers eat MREs.

A neighbor of mine once gave me one of these boxes. They were uniformly awful. Coincidentally, this neighbor is Jewish and a retired "food packaging" engineer for one of the armed services, not sure which. His wife used to bring delicious kugel to our potluck dinners. Now that stuff was tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    His wife used to bring delicious kugel to our potluck dinners. Now that stuff was tasty.
    My closest friends in town are Jewish and invite me over for the holidays. They made kugel with buttrscotch recently for Yom Kippur.

Man..was that good.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    My closest friends in town are Jewish and invite me over for the holidays. They made kugel with buttrscotch recently for Yom Kippur.

Man..was that good.
    But you are not supposed to eat on Yom Kippur. That is one of the main points of observance. (Not that most people do fast or anything...)

Signed,
    Hiking Jewish Gal

^^ Perhaps Mags is thinking of a break-fast party, which happens just as Yom Kippur is ending? (It's a tradition we observe... anything with lots of good food is fine by me...) As in, literally, breaking the "fast."

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    ^^ Perhaps Mags is thinking of a break-fast party, which happens just as Yom Kippur is ending? (It's a tradition we observe... anything with lots of good food is fine by me...) As in, literally, breaking the "fast."

Yes. I should have said "Breaking the fast" It was after 5pm.Quite a few of my friends present at the "Breaking of the fast" did indeed fast.

My wife and I were among the few non-Jewish. Italians can't fast I told them.

(Though we both have strong, vocal women as mothers. Lots of food at holidays. And lots of er, animated conversations!)
    Last edited by Mags; 10-15-2014 at 17:42.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Ah. Now I am jealous. I want to come to your break the fast. All I can eat after fasting that long is a few crackers and a cup of OJ. My stomach complains for 25 hours, then pulls a "just kidding" on me every. Single. Year.

Not amused, tummy. Not amused.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++