WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does Anyone Know of any Hiking/Camping Food that is considered Kosher?

Hey Fellow Hikers, I have a question. I've had people come into my store an ask if I had any "Kosher" Camping food. I know that Mountain House isn't. Does anyone know of any Camping/Hiking Food that is considered Kosher??? Thanks in advance!!!

http://hawkvittles.com/ Check with Hawk Vittles. He may have something already kosher, or may be able to customize a few recipes for you.

I don't know how that works, but can ya take it to a Rabbi and have him say a few words?

If they are strictly kosher, this would require special preparations under the supervision of a maschiach. I'm not aware of any company that does this, but I haven't really looked around.

If they are not too strict, any vegetarian food will probably be acceptable (eggs would probably be OK too). Check with them to be sure. There are many vegetarian options available.
    Last edited by OgreJon; 08-06-2014 at 17:39.

Quote Originally Posted by ccthumbs View Post
    Hey Fellow Hikers, I have a question. I've had people come into my store an ask if I had any "Kosher" Camping food. I know that Mountain House isn't. Does anyone know of any Camping/Hiking Food that is considered Kosher??? Thanks in advance!!!
    Pick up a Larabar. The label says it all:
    Kosher. Gluten Free. Vegan. Dairy Free. Soy Free. Non-GMO. Does that hit all the bases?

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Dehydrate your own.

Images

This Wikipedia page may help you understand kosher foods -- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_foods

And check out Harmony House Foods -- https://www.HarmonyHouseFoods.com/?view_full_site=1
    Q: Are your products Kosher?
    A: YES! All of our products (with the exception of our Vegan Soup Blends) are now certified Kosher by the Orthodox Union and carry the OU symbol. They also have the PAREVE designation. Even if you don't require Kosher, the process of inspections required under the Orthodox Union adds another level of quality assurance to our products. Please email [email protected] if you would like a copy of the Letter of Certification.
    Other than HH I do not know of any commercially available backpacking food and what may need to be stocked is the usual grocery store fare known to be kosher or acceptable that hikers would usually seek out at the store.

And I thought this was an interesting read -- "Kosher on the go" by Ariel Fishman http://www.sarahmelamed.com/2011/05/...ariel-fishman/
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 08-06-2014 at 18:00.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Trust me. Larabars are backpacking food. Don't leave home without them.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    This Wikipedia page may help you understand kosher foods -- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_foods

And check out Harmony House Foods -- https://www.HarmonyHouseFoods.com/?view_full_site=1

Q: Are your products Kosher?
    A: YES! All of our products (with the exception of our Vegan Soup Blends) are now certified Kosher by the Orthodox Union and carry the OU symbol. They also have the PAREVE designation. Even if you don't require Kosher, the process of inspections required under the Orthodox Union adds another level of quality assurance to our products. Please email [email protected] if you would like a copy of the Letter of Certification.
    That's odd, vegan items are kosher, there is no meat, no pork, no dairy.....unless they didn't have the Rabbi drive by and bless the place where they are made ( which is how they do "kosher" slaughterhouses, an oxymoron in it's own rite ).

Usually any vegan items are Kosher. Kosher laws are usually dairy/pork related

Hope you find some yummy stuff to eat!
    ad astra per aspera

Maybe there is an untapped Jewish hiking market that needs to be exploited. I call dibs on the backpacking matza.
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

Vegetarian and, even more stringent still, Vegan labeled foods are NOT synonymous with Kosher(according to kashrut - Jewish Dietary laws) and Kosher is definitely NOT synonymous with Vegan or vegetarian, although there are often crossover food products that COULD meet all three requirements.
    http://www.vegsource.com/jo/qakosher.htm

There are many trail bars and trail snacks labeled Kosher or have the "U" or "K" symbol. Peruse grocery store shelves like at a heath food store, Earthfare, WholeFoods, etc especially the trail bar area and you'll see what I mean. I have seen a few prepackaged freeze dried backpacking options labeled Kosher. My suggestion for you as a conscientious store owner is to visit a Grocery store specializing in Kosher(Jewish) food and see what might appeal to both Kosher and non-Kosher diets this way you appealing to a wider market. Fantastic Foods, like their falafel, tabouli, veg chili, etc are labeled Kosher, I think too. I've taken them to the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken Skullz View Post
    Maybe there is an untapped Jewish hiking market that needs to be exploited. I call dibs on the backpacking matza.
    So the people took their dough before the yeast was added, and carried it on their shoulders in kneading troughs wrapped in clothing. - Exodus 12:34 NIV

Apparently, backpacking with matzo [unleavened bread, dough without yeast] goes way, way back!!
    136 contiguous miles of MD + rocky PA-AT down, but 2042 miles to go

Boom! I think we have our marketing rep. Now all we need is a name and a kickstart account.

A Jewish friend of mine refers to himself as a "Red Sea Pedestrian".

not all vegetable products are considered kosher...non kosher veggies can have a certain percentage of insects in them...kosher is bug free
    slaughter houses are not "blessed", kosher law says the animal has to be killed in a certain way and fully bled out
    no pork, no shellfish, only fish with scales and fins, no mixing dairy with meat...lots of laws we follow

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    A Jewish friend of mine refers to himself as a "Red Sea Pedestrian".
    That would be a great trail name.

BTW, I made a mistake before possibly misleading readers to assume it is only Jews who eat Kosher. Not only do Vegans and vegetarians sometimes start off seeking food that is labeled Kosher, and then further review it to see if it meets their specific dietary requirements, but if you visit middle eastern food stores or those that carry products that are vended to ethnicities/nationalities and religions such as Islam(Moslems) such as Turkish, Egyptian, Morrocan, Lebanese, etc you'll also find Kosher branded foods. From what I gather and have heard something like more than 50% of the food available in the U.S. is Kosher but without carrying the Kosher seal/label. Some say as high as 75%. Know why you don't see the certified Kosher seal/label that often though? You have to pay a fee to a Rabbi to have that seal/label.

Journal Entries
    Images

parve.png just look for this symbol - parve is usually omitted. - its on lots of vegan, Jewish, dried products... seems really easy...

However there are cheaters and new established companies...
    http://www.ksakosher.com/

Here is an easy short history...

http://www.kosherfest.com/about-kosh...tory-of-kosher

odd fact:
    He said about a third of all supermarket items were certified kosher. In 2003, kosher foods comprised about $170 billion of the $500 billion in U.S. food sales.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 08-06-2014 at 22:50.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    BTW, I made a mistake before possibly misleading readers to assume it is only Jews who eat Kosher. Not only do Vegans and vegetarians sometimes start off seeking food that is labeled Kosher, and then further review it to see if it meets their specific dietary requirements, but if you visit middle eastern food stores or those that carry products that are vended to ethnicities/nationalities and religions such as Islam(Moslems) such as Turkish, Egyptian, Morrocan, Lebanese, etc you'll also find Kosher branded foods. From what I gather and have heard something like more than 50% of the food available in the U.S. is Kosher but without carrying the Kosher seal/label. Some say as high as 75%. Know why you don't see the certified Kosher seal/label that often though? You have to pay a fee to a Rabbi to have that seal/label.
    Did not know about the other ethnic and religeous groups requirements. hmm, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Muslims eat food that is halal (Arabic for "allowed") which is not the same as Kosher. I am not aware of any regulation that Kosher food be blessed by a Rabbi. Rather the production facility must be inspected and approved by Rabbis to assure the content and processing of food follows the rules, but the food need not be blessed. However a religious blessing IS part of the traditional preparation of halal meat. On the other hand, mixing meat and dairy is halal but not kosher. Wine is kosher but not halal. Finally, Islam and Judaism are complex and diverse religions, and there will be variable interpretations of the dietary laws amongst followers of both religions. For some Muslims, shrimp is halal but for others it is not. For some Jews, wine produced by Jews is kosher but other wine is not. But shrimp is never kosher and wine is never halal. There are however similarities. Pork is forbidden in both traditions, and I have Muslim friends who will eat kosher foods (Hebrew National hot dogs for example) when they are in an area where halal meat is not readily available.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++