WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Reading Material: Guides and Others

I'm wondering what guide books and other materials everyone is looking at in preparation for their hike. So far most of my reading has been online. I've read Appalachian Trials and I'm in the middle of A Walk in the Woods, but nothing along the lines of a guide book yet. Which one(s) do you recommend? What guide(s) are you bringing on your hike? Any other recommended reading?
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

AT Data Book and Awol's The AT Guide

When does the 2015 guidebook come up for sale?
    Moondog the Hiker
    <*)))><

I prefer AWOL's "The A.T. Guide" over the "A.T. Data Books". AWOLs guide has a lot more town/hostel information, phone numbers and information you need in a compact guide book. The AT Data Books are expensive with the maps - they give a more detailed account of each turn and way-point on the trail (along with lots historical tid-bits). If you are looking for a helpful planner the "Appalachian Trail Thru Hike Planner" put out by the ATC is helpful!

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KillerKarma View Post
    I'm wondering what guide books and other materials everyone is looking at in preparation for their hike. So far most of my reading has been online. I've read Appalachian Trials and I'm in the middle of A Walk in the Woods, but nothing along the lines of a guide book yet. Which one(s) do you recommend? What guide(s) are you bringing on your hike? Any other recommended reading?
    I found Karen Berger's Hiking and Backpacking both informative and a pleasure to read.

http://www.amazon.com/Trailside-Guid.../dp/0393313344
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I recommend AWOL's guide. Everybody has diff needs/opinions but I think that 1) water source locations and 2) the elevation profile are worth the price of the whole book.I only have a shake-down hike for experience so YMMV. Keep 1 liter water in reserve and don't go further than 150 yds w/out a white blaze. I saw on line that some hikers tear their AWOL in HALF and send the 2nd half to maildrop up the trail-to save weight!How silly of them I thought (prehike that is) Well they are still silly I think but now it's because I'm gonna cut mine into thirds or quarters!Have a great hike and God bless!
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerKarma View Post

Thanks everyone! Going to look at these books and see whats what.
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

++ New Posts ++