WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Any users of the lightheart gear solong 6???

Looking at getting this shelter for me and lil dog/son .... Currently using Easton kilo 2 p....want a shelter that is light and uses trekking poles for support..... Not dure about cuben w dog....

I used my Solong 6 on my section from Springer to Damascus this summer. I have two awnings so I can see all around the tent at night.

I like the 54" width at the center, plenty of space to Kay your stuff out. The width should work great with a dog.

Mines cuben, but Lightheart no longer makes the Solong in cuben. Very disappointing.

Images

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...st-Impressions

Update: got the green/tan one I wanted, 1 awning, two doors. Sent back for heavier zippers. Bought the tent poles and awning pole. Seam sealed by me per LightHeart Gear instructions. No problems.

Stump Knocker used one for his FL Trail thru - has a Trail Journal with some descriptions.

Here in Fl, lots of condensation in the summer time, even flaps wide open, but with 100% humidity at night, whatchagonnado ?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Thx for input...i didn't realize no more in cuben but don't think would be a good fit w a dog....as for condensation... I never hike in fl...always head to tge mountains but may hit a few sections w my 8 yr old son who is hooked on hiking....y'all think it has enough room for me @ 5'11" 210, 20lb jrt and 50lb 8yr old? I'd prob get w zips and 2 awnings do packs could stay out if not room ...

Images

Love mine, great gear, sorry to hear about cuben, .........plenty of space, no "misting", mesh on both sides, went crazy at about 22 ounces and got zippered openings on both sides which I like.......

With all due respect to Judy at Lightheart, as always better gear will come along.

I have a solong6 and I used it during a long section on the AT this summer.

Compared to a very well known tarptent, it is a palace. Got condensation on the single walls, I guess I'm starting to get used to this. Love the canopy, great for cooking in the rain.

Have nothing but good things to say about it. It is a palace compared to my other.

Have to say I used the other a few days back when I went hiking in the Linville Gorge. New area, and just wanted to shave pounds as much as possible.

In a pinch, it could fit you and a young child but it will be tight.

Best,
    Floyd

If I were going to buy another tent, this would be it. Mostly because I like the long awning for the rain and being able to sit under it and cook so I'm not confined to the tent, although my Nemo Meta 2P has really large vestibules which makes it nice also for cooking.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

I loved my solong 6. The awning is awesome. Plenty of room for yourself and a kid or dog. I spent many nights with my 5 year old boy in it. Even spent 2 nights with my dad. It was tight but doable. I think it's an awesome design and very easy to set up.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynate View Post
    I loved my solong 6. The awning is awesome. Plenty of room for yourself and a kid or dog. I spent many nights with my 5 year old boy in it. Even spent 2 nights with my dad. It was tight but doable. I think it's an awesome design and very easy to set up.
    Do u still use it? U said loved....curious if u decided on something else....

Not to hijack this thread, but have you thought about LH Duo? I'm thinking about getting the Duo for my son and I. My son is 5'5 145 lbs and still growing. Your thoughts on the solong and not the duo?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Do u still use it? U said loved....curious if u decided on something else....

We are both hammocking now. Although heavier and more fiddly, we both sleep better in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo17 View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but have you thought about LH Duo? I'm thinking about getting the Duo for my son and I. My son is 5'5 145 lbs and still growing. Your thoughts on the solong and not the duo?
    Trying to keep weight down and don't think need that much space...but might consider it....folks at lhg recc solong6 as dog only 20lbs and son only goes on occasion....most of my trips are tied to work travel and son will be in school..

Quote Originally Posted by nastynate View Post
    We are both hammocking now. Although heavier and more fiddly, we both sleep better in the air.
    Thx...I'm a stomach sleeper can't get comfortable in hammock....tent keeps dog contained also...

I have a SoLong 6 and I love it. Extremely easy to put up, and it will definitely have enough room for your dog or son. Plenty of ceiling height as well, so getting changed and sitting up is no problem.

Images

I saved up for the So Long Cuben.........about 22 ounces, with two zippered openings.

Love it, easy to pitch, waterproof........roomy.

One + with Cuben is that is packs pretty dry unlike sil nylon and other fabrics

Not sure about Cuban with a dog....not as durable??

Journal Entries
    Images

I saw a SoLong at at Bluff Mtn Outfitters this weekend, and once I got inside I was amazed at the space. I like how it widens significantly in the middle and the vestibules are HUGE. Still not a fan of having to rely on poles, it's not freestanding, and there's the condensation issue but it's now #2 on my short list of ultralight tents.

Decisions, decisions.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Salty, take a look at the NEW LHG Duo, a couple ounces heavier but it might be usable for a longer period. Looks like it is vented very well.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

I have had the LH to put it through the ringer.

No problem with poles, they are stronger than dedicated tent poles. Never had a problem with wind or stability.
    Condensation, not as much, or nearly none. Got some with the two single walls, not enough to drip. Used a small square of a shammy, that I use cut for a camp towel, and wipe it. Much less condensation than another well known tarp tent company.

Not free standing, that is a bummer ( not being sarcastic) I like them too. Lots of live able, use able space. It is the only one man tarp tent that has not made me feel like I was in a coffin.

Overall a great tent. On the AT, if primarily using shelters, which I really have no problem with most, I want to go with something lighter if caught between them, or if overcrowding.

Hope this helps, When I went through Franklin at outdoor 76 they had one last year set up. had to wait until Dec. for mine. Do you think outfitters along the AT do this on purpose I had the same reaction

Best,
    Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    I have had the LH to put it through the ringer.

No problem with poles, they are stronger than dedicated tent poles. Never had a problem with wind or stability.
    Condensation, not as much, or nearly none. Got some with the two single walls, not enough to drip. Used a small square of a shammy, that I use cut for a camp towel, and wipe it. Much less condensation than another well known tarp tent company.

Not free standing, that is a bummer ( not being sarcastic) I like them too. Lots of live able, use able space. It is the only one man tarp tent that has not made me feel like I was in a coffin.

Overall a great tent. On the AT, if primarily using shelters, which I really have no problem with most, I want to go with something lighter if caught between them, or if overcrowding.

Hope this helps, When I went through Franklin at outdoor 76 they had one last year set up. had to wait until Dec. for mine. Do you think outfitters along the AT do this on purpose I had the same reaction

Best,
    Floyd

Thx I just spoke with a very helpful guy (Rob) at outdoor 76 abt the solong.... Going to buy one from them in a few weeks when I get back up there....they seem to really love that tent!!! I'm sold...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++