WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Holy he'll it's going to be cold. We've been laying low in heat for the last 2 nights, and again tonight. Still, we've been out the last 2 days slackpacking so we're not wasting time. We're getting back on the trail in the morning, and have one night until we're in Damascus. We're a little concerned about the weather coming our way Wednesday and Thursday. Lows in Damascus are supposed to be -5 Wednesday, and -1 on Thursday. Snow is coming in on Monday as well,and that should drop 3-5" in town.
    AT15
    OT15

You picked a good winter to go hiking Although your leaving the big mountains of NC/TN and getting into the lower ridges of Virginia, you'll also be more in line with the storm tracks for the next month or longer. And those Virginia ridge walks can be mighty exposed and really slippery, so be careful!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

That's what we're hearing. Just hoping all the snow melts up north!
    AT15
    OT15

Journal Entries
    Images

It is currently 8f with the sun shining! Bear in mind, if you venture out now, the roads will likely be inaccessible as the weather gets worse (between Hampton and Damascus there are only 3 road crossings - Wilbur Dam Rd, TN91, US421). Weather alert for Elizabethton. If an emergency occurs you might be stuck. Additionally, if substantial snow does fall, you'll likely be post holing all the way to Damascus.

You might consider some extra food. Be safe out there!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos

I just came in after a 15 day February trip and left 5,300 foot Bob Bald mountain with a friend in 40mph wind with 10F ambients---face-eatingly cold. I'll post a trip report once my pics are loaded into smugmug.

We didn't make it out of Butler today. The roads were icy here,and we couldn't even make it out of the driveway. We're doing a work for stay for a few days, and are staying in the owners lake house. We really couldn't ask for anything better. We are missing the trail though.
    AT15
    OT15

Stay warm while you can, you definately had some wild winter luck for the early start. I'm worried for you with the snow melt up north when you get there. Stay safe.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Honuben View Post
    Stay warm while you can, you definately had some wild winter luck for the early start. I'm worried for you with the snow melt up north when you get there. Stay safe.
    over the years the worst storms hit late feb, early march. they are not out of the woods yet. stay safe
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    over the years the worst storms hit late feb, early march. they are not out of the woods yet. stay safe
    Definately not out of the woods... The winter seems brutal up in the northeast. I dont mind the cold nor snow but really hate the mud that comes later.

Journal Entries
    Images

Boots and Backpacks, we are back on the trail...quite a ways behind you since we started over....keep pushin my friends!
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw
    New2theWild - come follow us!!

I'm really glad to see you guys back at it. Take your time, and be safe out there with this weather. If you guys need any help/advice just let us know. Hike your own hike, and don't pay attention to the naysayers.
    AT15
    OT15

Journal Entries
    Images

thanks guys! We're rooting on ya!
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw
    New2theWild - come follow us!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Additionally, if substantial snow does fall, you'll likely be post holing all the way to Damascus.
    Have you started your post holing adventure yet? Too bad you are already past Laurel Fork Falls!

It was 10 below this morning . . . I reckon it was even colder at the falls! (Kincora said it was 14 below!)

Be careful out there . . . looks like freezing rain tomorrow.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid
    Last edited by mountain squid; 02-20-2015 at 20:46.

We're finally getting out of here Monday or Tuesday. Been helping a lady out working on her Inn and rental cabin. Got a coupe things to finish up for her before we leave though. Everything has started to melt, and looks like we have a good window coming up.
    AT15
    OT15

Staying at Franklin, North Carolaina for the next 3 days because of the weather, snow and my leg. Anyone here?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++