WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Post The Cost of a Thru-hike

Okay, so I've seen a lot of articles on here that you can hike the trail anywhere from 3,000 to 8,000 dollars but I can't find if that's with all new gear or if the gear is already bought. Could you guys tell me how much you started with and if that was with all new gear or already bought. Thanks for your help! Oh, and I have around 3,600 now but I'm going to start with 4,000 I don't know if that helps at all but there it is anyway.

Garlic
    Images

For most, hiking the AT costs about $1000/month. How many months you take depends on your pace and experience--from three to eight, right in line with what you've heard. That'll pay for new shoes and socks along the way, maybe a new stove or pot, but most of your gear cost is on top of that. Transport to and from termini is generally extra, too. The younger you are, the cheaper you'll probably be able to hike--fewer motel rooms, fewer beers. You should be OK with $4000. It would be very comfortable to have some contingency money, say an extra $1000, for emergencies. My hike cost $3500 for a 3.5 month hike, including transport to and from, and my gear cost about $800. Good luck getting out there.

As you have already discovered, you'll get all kinds of options on this. $3 Grand is about the least you should have available when you set foot on the trail. That means the cost of gear is not included. Budget 600 to 1000 for gear if you need to buy all new.

Since your likely to be starting after school lets out in late May or early June, you'll need less gear (at first) then those starting out in early spring. You'll also have fewer (or no) zero days in town due to weather which will save you a lot. Finally, if your a strong enough hiker to finish in about 4 months, that will save even more.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

gear paid for plus 5 grand

Since you're currently 17 I imagine you can get by on the lower end of the range because (A) you're not buying alcohol and (B) you're probably not going to want or need to have the same number of motel type stays us older guys do. Indoor stays (which normally include spending more at restaurants, etc) pretty much determine how expensive your hike is going to be.

I think your plan is solid.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I paid 3,000+ dollars to take my family to Disney for a week. (and that was on the cheap side)
    I should have gone for a 3 month vacation in the woods instead.
    Hiking the AT has to be one of the cheapest vacations possible.

You can only spend what you got. I am not sure why people assume that you HAVE to go to town and spend money on hotels, waitresses, and burgers.

Truth is that if you ain't got it to spend, you ain't got it to spend. I am personally separating from my wife on Friday and then planning to hike several trails on a very limited budget. It can be done with a little self control even if it's a vacation.

Example: ever went on a cruise or amusement park on a budget?

I go to disney world literally 5x per week. Don't spend a single dollar. I pack my food from home. Most people cant and won't do that. In fact, most days I just wait until I get home to eat and drink. It's all in your mindset.
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Sorry to go off topic but...

"I go to disney world literally 5x per week. Don't spend a single dollar. I pack my food from home. Most people cant and won't do that. In fact, most days I just wait until I get home to eat and drink. It's all in your mindset."

Guessing you live in Orlando and have a year pass. Which someone paid for. Unless you are sneaking in....
    We traveled, paid for park entrance, no option of going home to eat, and all the crap the my children wanted to purchase, etc.

And on 5x per week? I spent 5 days there and hope to never go back.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Sorry to go off topic but...

"I go to disney world literally 5x per week. Don't spend a single dollar. I pack my food from home. Most people cant and won't do that. In fact, most days I just wait until I get home to eat and drink. It's all in your mindset."

Guessing you live in Orlando and have a year pass. Which someone paid for. Unless you are sneaking in....
    We traveled, paid for park entrance, no option of going home to eat, and all the crap the my children wanted to purchase, etc.

And on 5x per week? I spent 5 days there and hope to never go back.
    Haaaa agreed!!!! I cringe just driving thru Orlando!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner1776 View Post
    You can only spend what you got. I am not sure why people assume that you HAVE to go to town and spend money on hotels, waitresses, and burgers.

Actually, you do have to go to town and spend money on hotels and burgers. Waitresses are optional though (if you stick to fast food). When you get to a town, there are two things you want pretty much right away. Food and a shower. That means a restaurant and motel or hostel.

Truth is that if you ain't got it to spend, you ain't got it to spend. I am personally separating from my wife on Friday and then planning to hike several trails on a very limited budget. It can be done with a little self control even if it's a vacation.

If you ain't got it to spend, your not getting very far. Even with a lot of self control.
    Your mindset changes pretty quickly when your cold, wet, tired and really hungry and there is a town near-by. One the top 5 reasons people have to quit the trail is they ran out of money.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

You can actually do some cool stuff at Disney, it just costs obscene amts of money. The theme parks suck for the most part.

i was on the higher end of the spending spree on my hike last year. i spent around 12,000 on trail not counting gear. i also stayed anywhere i wanted, eat anything i wanted, sometimes multiple racks of ribs a day, and went to DC and gettysburg. no regrets

Rash
    Doing What You Like Is Freedom , Liking What You Do Is Happiness

++ New Posts ++