WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Default Northville-Placid Trail, SOBO, starting around October 7

I know I mentioned this a few months ago, but since things are firming up a little bit (although still tentative), I thought I'd open a new thread on it.

I'm contemplating doing a thru-hike of the Northville-Placid Trail in the Adirondacks, southbound, in October. Alas, it's likely to be a week or so past the peak of the fall colours, although they can easily last until that time if the weather holds. Family obligations preclude an earlier start. I'm doing it southbound because I'd like to take a zero day a few days from starting, and visit the Adirondack Museum, which is open only until Columbus Day.

I'm a slow hiker, so I'm planning 8-12 mile days. If that turns out to be a dull and boring pace, I could go faster, but I don't want to plan on it. That would make the whole affair roughly a two-week trip. If any of you guys wants to join me for one or more sections, gee, that'd be terrific.

My tentative plan would be to ride Amtrak, and its bus connection, into Lake Placid village on Tuesday, October 7. The bus wouldn't get me into Lake Placid until after 3 pm, so I don't think I could readily hike to the first official campsite at Wanika Falls. I'll be asking elsewhere, among people who've done it, about stealth opportunities on the trail south of Averyville Road. Surely I should be able to roadwalk the three miles to the trailhead and hike some distance in by daylight.

I'd think in terms of getting to the Route 28N trailhead near Long Lake - 39 miles from Lake Placid - by the evening of Friday, October 10. I'd ask my wife to meet me there. There are a number of lodging options in the Long Lake/Raquette Lake/Blue Mountain Lake area, and as plans crystallize, we'll most likely book a room at one of them for a couple of nights.

Saturday, October 11, she and I would go to the Adirondack Museum - there has to be some reason for her to haul all the way up there, after all!

Sunday, October 12, would be back on the trail, ideally with a light pack. Hopefully, I can figure out some way to get resupplied near Lake Durant and Route 28 on Monday, the 13th. That would save a couple of days of food carry. The October 12-13 section would be a nice overnight if someone wanted to join for just one night. (The night's stay would most likely be near either the Tirrell Pond or O'Neil Flow shelter.)

The next road crossing is a gravel road near Wakely Dam. The guidebook says that it's just 12 miles, but in fact it's a few miles longer because of a trail relocation that's newer than the guidebook. Also, if the hike is going well, I'm likely to want to make a detour to visit the Wakely Mountain fire tower, which adds 6.4 miles and about 1700 feet of elevation gain to the route. There are no resupply options near Wakely Dam, which is accessible my car only via 12 miles of gravel road from Routes 28/30 near Indian Lake. I'd imagine making the Wakely Dam campsites on the evening of the 15th.

From there, it's 34.1 miles - with no road access - to Piseco village. I foresee making Piseco on Saturday the 18th, with Sunday the 19th as a rest day. There are a couple of motels in Piseco, but resupply here is likely a mail drop. This is either a seven-day food carry from Long Lake or a five-day carry from Lake Durant, at my slow pace.

The next section is the final 23-30 miles, coming out either on Godfrey Road (which still counts as thru-hiking) on Tuesday the 21st, or Benson Road (a new section just opened this year) on Wednesday the 22nd. My wife and I will have spotted a car here in advance, so that I can drive home from the trailhead. At some point late in the day on Monday the 20th, I'd be passing the Whitehouse trailhead, which is at the end of a 9-mile dirt road from the village of Wells, with no resupply (and likely no hitchhiking possibility) at the trailhead.

As I mentioned before, the NPT is the granddaddy of all the long trails in the US. Construction on it started in 1922 and it opened to hikers in 1924. It traverses some of the remotest areas of the Adirondacks. There are only four road crossings (28N/Long Lake, 28/Lake Durant, Wakely Dam, and Piseco) in its entire 133-mile length, and resupply at any of them can be challenging - at the very least, a hitch of a few miles to a post office. This hike should be a "thru-hike" experience in miniature.

The trail is mostly level, except for the Blue Mountain ridge north of 28N and the side trip to the Wakely fire tower. It can be extremely wet - indeed, I'd be astonished to find that the beavers have not submerged at least one section. It has its share of lovely views, but they are across picturesque lakes and meadows rather than from majestic mountaintops. Because it is so remote, maintenance can be sketchy, and the blazed route is approximate at best.

If people wanted to join me for a section, approximate times at the access points would be

10/7 afternoon - Lake Placid
    10/10 evening - arrive Long Lake - zero day (NY 28N)
    10/12 morning - depart Long Lake
    10/13 late morning (?) - Lake Durant (NY 28/30)
    10/15 evening - arrive Wakely Dam (12 mile drive on unpaved road from Indian Lake)
    10/16 morning - depart Wakely Dam
    10/18 evening - arrive Piseco -zero day (NY 8 )
    10/20 morning - depart Piseco
    10/20 late afternoon - pass Whitehouse (10 mile drive on unpaved road from Wells)
    10/21 evening - Godfrey Road terminus -OR-
    10/22 afternoon - Benson Road terminus

OK, now I've done it... I've actually said I'm planning this idiocy.

If I succeed, I think I'm going to have to drop the 'Weekender' from left of the post over there, and just be Clueless.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

That's the time period I thru-hiked the NPT last yr. It was crisp at night, SLIGHTLY past peak leaf peeping season, UNCROWDED trail, and the hiking weather was ideal with mostly sunny days with an avg daytime high in the 70's but a few days where it only got into the low 60's. A few days hit day time highs around 80*. I mostly stayed at the AT type style lean tos, some in scenic locations on lakes/waterways etc. Only shared a NPT shelter one night the entire hike. I wandered into Adirondak Park bagging 6 4000 fters including Mt Marcy as a side hike add on from/to the NPT. Do you remember helping me with that side hike last yr? I got useful beta from several WB members including CookerHiker, who I met in Long lake also hiking the NPT, ToolShed, Jim Meyer(sent me a nice spreadsheet, let me know if you want it, I'll pass it along to you), etc

I too wound up getting into Lake Placid late in the day after flying into Plattsburg Int AP at 3 p.m and then EASILY hitch hiking my way into Lake Placid in less than 2 hrs. I checked out the Eastern Mountain Sports, lakes, noshed a sandwich at Big Mountain Deli and Crepes(DELISH!), and then hiked up Cobble Hill to sleep LNT cowboy style. Cobble Hill provides a good vantage pt overlooking Lake Placid. http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=19678 I sent myself a resupply box to the USPO(mEDS) but a bus takes you to a two nice sized grocery stores. The next more after sipping some Joe overlooking Mirror Lake and picking up my box I walked(most of the way) to the northern terminus. Someone offered a ride only 1 mile from the TH. It's an easy walk. Taking a taxi is an option. I didn't notice places to camp, even stealth, along Averyville Rd or in the beginning 1-2 miles of the NPT.

Long Lake is a great place to meet the sweetie! Having a ride to the Daks Museum is a bonus. I hear the Museum is pretty neat. I should have went. Several nice lean tos on Long Lake on the NPT.

You walk right by the Piseco USPO but you might get by purchasing at the Piseco Country Store. They made me a killer sandwich. I then night hiked after that.

Don't sweat that Blue Mt rise either. Afterward you'll wonder what the fuss is about since you have hiked in Adirondack park on much more strenuous trail/scarmbles.

I have to plug The Good Bite too for their hearty vegetarian/Vegan early lunch fair they made for me as I departed Lake Placid. It's a diminutive little side shop of a kitchen/cafe that is big on good food at reasonable prices. http://thegoodbitekitchen.com/

My husband and I hiked from Northville to Piseco a few weeks ago - the trail was a bit muddy (shocking, I know), but fine. A few blowdowns made for a couple of tricky spots where we lost the trail, but it wasn't bad, (I'm spoiled by white blazes every 50 feet). We had planned to thru-hike, but an injury caused the bailout in Piseco. For resupply, we left a box at the Oxbow Lake Motel, in Piseco, and a box at Hoss's in Long Lake Village - both places were helpful, and we perfectly happy to hold a food drop for us. I hope you have a great hike! I'm jealous that you're going in October - July was a bit muggy.

Awesome! A leisurely pace at a great time of year. I noticed you are spending one night in the West Canada Lakes section (Wakely to Piseco). IMO it is the second best section of the entire trail. You may want to consider an additional night at Spruce Lake instead of pushing all the way to Piseco on the 18th.

I have to look at my schedule to see if there is a possibility of joining you for part; even if it were for just a weekend.

Very nice. 10-12 is what I recommend to people, especially if you already have a 2 week time frame to complete it. In talking with many, they wish they would have slowed down and spent more time at some of the little gems. 10/12 also really allows you to take care of your feet. My youtube channel (in its first year) is almost entirely dedicated to the trail and my antics on it. With the exception of the final few episodes of the Piseco to Wakely section, which will be up in the next week, the entire trail is covered.

Here is the trip report section link if interested. There is also gear and food videos.

Enjoy your journey!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...70rf2iPY9yftqZ
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    Awesome! A leisurely pace at a great time of year. I noticed you are spending one night in the West Canada Lakes section (Wakely to Piseco). IMO it is the second best section of the entire trail. You may want to consider an additional night at Spruce Lake instead of pushing all the way to Piseco on the 18th.
    That's exactly what I plan. Leave Wakely Dam on the morning of the 16th. Evening of the 16th at Third Lake, evening of the 17th at either Spruce Lake or Jessup River, on into Piseco on the 18th.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitzel View Post
    My husband and I hiked from Northville to Piseco a few weeks ago - the trail was a bit muddy (shocking, I know), but fine. A few blowdowns made for a couple of tricky spots where we lost the trail, but it wasn't bad, (I'm spoiled by white blazes every 50 feet). We had planned to thru-hike, but an injury caused the bailout in Piseco. For resupply, we left a box at the Oxbow Lake Motel, in Piseco, and a box at Hoss's in Long Lake Village - both places were helpful, and we perfectly happy to hold a food drop for us. I hope you have a great hike! I'm jealous that you're going in October - July was a bit muggy.
    Thanks for the information! I was already looking into those exact places for resupply. The blowdown and marsh don't scare me. I bushwhack in the Catskills. On one of my hikes this summer, I didn't see a blaze for two solid days.

Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
    Very nice. 10-12 is what I recommend to people, especially if you already have a 2 week time frame to complete it. In talking with many, they wish they would have slowed down and spent more time at some of the little gems. 10/12 also really allows you to take care of your feet. My youtube channel (in its first year) is almost entirely dedicated to the trail and my antics on it. With the exception of the final few episodes of the Piseco to Wakely section, which will be up in the next week, the entire trail is covered.

Here is the trip report section link if interested. There is also gear and food videos.

Enjoy your journey!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...70rf2iPY9yftqZ
    I'd already been watching your videos, in the course of researching this hike. Thanks for posting them! Interestingly enough, I posted a question on another site yesterday (nothing to do with NPT) and Duct Tape answered me. I seem to keep running into you guys. Maybe it's a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    ... I mostly stayed at the AT type style lean tos, some in scenic locations on lakes/waterways etc. Only shared a NPT shelter one night the entire hike. I wandered into Adirondak Park bagging 6 4000 fters including Mt Marcy as a side hike add on from/to the NPT. Do you remember helping me with that side hike last yr? I got useful beta from several WB members including CookerHiker, who I met in Long lake also hiking the NPT, ToolShed, Jim Meyer(sent me a nice spreadsheet, let me know if you want it, I'll pass it along to you), etc
    Oh, yeah! Now I remember. You asked if there were any hiking opportunities near Lake Placid. Boy, is that ever asking for a drink from the fire hose! By the way, you have it upside down. The A-T has Adirondack-style lean-tos. We had 'em first. I hadn't heard that your trip ended with an NPT thru-hike - great for you! Is the spreadsheet you're talking about this one? If so, it's quite out of date because of the two major reroutes they've done since it was put together. I've been working from these data sheets as well - they're somewhat more up to date. If you've got something else, I'd love to hear of it!

.... Taking a taxi is an option. I didn't notice places to camp, even stealth, along Averyville Rd or in the beginning 1-2 miles of the NPT.
    Hmm... your're right, a cab would be an option. I was just concerned because the first designated camping I see listed out of Averyville is Wanika Falls, which looks to be about 8 miles from the trailhead. A bit much to be starting in late afternoon when the days are getting short.

...You walk right by the Piseco USPO but you might get by purchasing at the Piseco Country Store. They made me a killer sandwich. I then night hiked after that.
    Planning a zero day in Piseco. After a seven day march from NY 28N, my body will need it.

Don't sweat that Blue Mt rise either. Afterward you'll wonder what the fuss is about since you have hiked in Adirondack park on much more strenuous trail/scarmbles.
    I've actually not done a lot of the hard stuff in the ADKs - I mostly hike the Catskills. But there's very hard stuff there, too. The Devil's Path and Burroughs Range trails are brutal, and some of the bushwhack peaks are considerably worse. I'm not terribly worried about the Blue Mt ridge. I was just pointing out that's the only place on the whole thing that isn't flat and marshy!

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I posted a question on another site yesterday (nothing to do with NPT) and Duct Tape answered me. I seem to keep running into you guys. Maybe it's a sign.
    And I didn't know DuctTape's screen name here on the Blaze! Now I do. Wow, that was embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    And I didn't know DuctTape's screen name here on the Blaze! Now I do. Wow, that was embarrassing.
    No need to feel embarrassed. I wish I could have just one screen name. If I ever get a real trail name, I may have to register at all the forums again with a new name.

That's not what I asked. I asked about choice of routes concerning Avalanche Pass. Do you remember now?

The spreadsheet Jim(Stranger) sent me is similar but with some resupply info. I sent it to you.

I already had one of the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated Maps(Adirondak Park) and bought the other one that together show the NPT nicely with bailouts, side trails, etc.

Are you tenting, hammocking, what? I think you'll find a LNT campsite before Wanika Falls. There is not only the Moose Pond lean about 1.? mile south of WF too but some tent sites near the base of the falls. Don't stop on the side trail to the main Wanika Falls at the first smaller falls!

Are you tenting, hammocking, what? I think you'll find a LNT campsite before Wanika Falls. There is not only the Moose Pond lean about 1.? mile south of WF too but some tent sites near the base of the falls. Don't stop on the side trail to the main Wanika Falls at the first smaller falls!
    Yes, there is a designated site on the right side (heading south) just before "the flume" and the log bridge which crosses it. This is about 6 miles from Averyville Rd. The site is very small and doesn't seem to get much use. Most will opt for Wanika Falls as it is less than a mile away.

Kevin-
    I will keep it on my radar- if it happened it would be last minute, and likely only part of the trip.
    Not really worth mentioning at all really, but, just mentioning I will keep it in mind if the opportunity arises.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Dang it Kevin, you know that I'd go if I could, but I have some other plans for mid-October this year!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I sent it to your Email let me know you've received it. At Long Lake consider a float plabe ride or renting a two p kayak or canoe and serenade the sweetie on a paddle of Long or Raquette lake. You COULD if you wanted to be a charmer, have the sweetie come up prepared to camp, rent a canoe on Long lake paddling to one of the ADIRONDAK style lean tos on the NPT for an overnight. Just sayin. Don't know if she's that kind of gal though.

I will be doing the NPT around the same time. My tentative plans as of this moment are to start heading north from the Benson trailhead Oct 11. Still awaiting the arrival of my guidebook via mail to firm up my schedule and flesh out the details.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I sent it to your Email let me know you've received it. At Long Lake consider a float plabe ride or renting a two p kayak or canoe and serenade the sweetie on a paddle of Long or Raquette lake. You COULD if you wanted to be a charmer, have the sweetie come up prepared to camp, rent a canoe on Long lake paddling to one of the ADIRONDAK style lean tos on the NPT for an overnight. Just sayin. Don't know if she's that kind of gal though.
    I'll tell you about the email tonight. The mailbox I gave you is one that I can't see at work.

My wife's a city gal all the way - Chicago born and bred. The Great Outdoors doesn't appeal much to her. She looks at my pictures and where I see "beautiful" she sees "desolate." But she's a historian and the museum will be just her sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Algae View Post
    I will be doing the NPT around the same time. My tentative plans as of this moment are to start heading north from the Benson trailhead Oct 11. Still awaiting the arrival of my guidebook via mail to firm up my schedule and flesh out the details.
    We'll probably pass each other in the middle, then! (As I said, SOBO is what fits in my schedule.) Let's see, if you're starting on the 11th from Godfrey Rd, (or are you using the new Benson trailhead?) that would put you around Wakely Dam about the same time as me - particularly since at your age you're no doubt a faster hiker than I am. Maybe we'll wind up sharing a lean-to or something. Let's keep in touch as the plans firm up.

For what it's worth, everyone tells me not to plan big miles. Not because the trail is difficult - people tell me that it's a piece of cake for a Catskill hiker - but because the lakes and whatnot are so lovely that a photographer like me will get sucked into a time vortex. So 8-12 mile days it is, for me.

Oh by the way, if it affects your plans, the Lake Durant campground and the Adirondack Museum both close after Columbus Day weekend. For me, that may make a Blue Mountain Lake resupply dodgy. I'll probably just plan a 7-day food carry from Long Lake.

If you're coming from Rochester, drag Duct Tape along! I've been wanting to meet him.

Sooner or later we will hit the trails together Kevin.

If you like to fish consider bringing along fishing gear(fly rod or small UL spin system) as you'll pass, and possibly stay at lean-tos, in very fishy looking areas. I thought Seward Lean-to (which is next to Miller's Falls pictured in the link, great place to take a dip too!), the Cold Spring Lean tos, several of the Long Lake lean-tos, and several others on ponds/lakes/streams were especially fishy looking. With your anticipated MPD's(I think JB just dropped out of hiking with ya when you mentioned those MPd's) you'll have time to fish. Glad I did. Caught Brook Trout, round Whitefish(lots of them), yellow perch, a few small Smallmouth, and even walleye. I found unlocked canoes w/ paddles for(I guess?) community use at two lean-tos which I promptly took advantage of and returned the way I found them. I think you are going to have an awesome time on the NPT Kevin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++