Registered User Teresa&Lisa2016's Avatar

Default women hiking alone / LGBT

Hi there!

I am seeking advice on two women hiking alone and the safety of LGBT people on the Appalachian Trail. My girlfriend and I really want to hike the trail together, and we plan on it, but we are aware of the time that two gay women were shot (one killed, other shot 8 times and survived) on the trail. I know this is an isolated incident, but it just got me thinking about getting some advice on safety hiking alone as two gay women. Any advice is appreciated. We may start hiking NB in 2015, or possibly 2016, we have not quite decided our timelines for leaving our current jobs and communities yet. THANKS for your advice!

Images

I don't think you are any more or less safe on the trail than anywhere else.

These are different times. Plenty of men hike together, as do plenty of woman. Who's to know who's just a friend or hiking partner or something more unless you make a point of telling? (Although people in your bubble will likely figure it out after a while) Of all the things to worry about, being LBGT is way down at the bottom of the list - if it makes it on the list at all.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Lee Swislow, former Executive Director of GLAD (Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders) out of Boston, took a leave in 2011 and thru-hiked the trail. You might want to check out her journal under her trail name of "Glad Gal". Maybe contact her if you have other questions.

http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=11762
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries

You know...I'm not a woman...but I had some similar concerns in regards to LGBT on the trail. However, I think Slo-goen has the right idea. It's probably not that big of a deal. However, I did grow up in the VA/NC Appalachians and the culture itself is what I'm wary of and not necessarily the folks on the trail. I would just take the same precautions as you would any where else. I lived in San Francisco for about twenty years and whenever I walked around in the City, I made sure I knew what was going on around me, I didn't walk around with headphones on and oblivious to everything else and at the same time, I didn't allow that to disrupt my enjoyment of my surroundings. I still visit and stay with my family in the small town in the Blue Ridge Mts and I don't encounter any problems, but I also don't advertise. People will treat you with respect as long as they don't have to be confronted with their fears. It's not that they don't observe or know who you may or may not be, they just get to ignore it in their heads. But I would find it interesting to hear of other LGBT hiker's experiences on the trail.

Section Hiker

I have to believe that if you guys are going to thru hike you will be surrounded by all types of people, from all backgrounds, of all orientations, and all walks of life... With all that company, most of whom really watch out for each other, I'd like to think everyone will be 'safer'/more comfortable. In general, and I may be happily deluded, I believe the hiking community is comprised of mostly tree-hugging liberals (like myself) who like being in the woods and hanging out with other hiking tree-hugging liberals.

Having said that, I wouldn't be too open in terms of sexuality (gay or straight) nor my particularly liberal religious beliefs in most environments, including the trail or trail towns, especially in the South.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Post #3 sums it all up. I probably shouldn't be commenting since I'm a guy. I see the poop thread is active again, so I guess I'm needed elsewhere.

Registered User Teresa&Lisa2016's Avatar

Great advice! Thank you, everyone!! This forum is awesome!

I don't announce to everyone that I'm straight, but close friends and associates figure it out even if I don't say anything. Seems to me that that's a sound policy anywhere. Not to hide/disguise who you are, but to not let that facet of your humanity define you.

Met/briefly hiked with one AT thru-hiking lesbian couple and knew of another lesbian couple doing a long AT section hike in 2006. I had no issues with either couple based on their orientation. Although, the section hiking couple made it a point to OPENLY STRONGLY communicate their sexuality on trail which when that occurs no matter what combination of sexes it's going to raise some eyebrows and resulting corresponding comments especially in some southern AT sections. Met another lesbian couple thru-hiking the PCT. They were a riot of laughs. I enjoyed being around them. IMO, the PCT community is a bit more PC liberal in this regard then the AT. Personally, I've long ago gotten over summing up people solely by the sexuality. I believe only a very narrow minded ignorant person does that - which I once was.

Go hike! Use your best judgement. Hope to see you two on the trail.

BTW, I do sincerely hope you fully understand that whenever one/two behave outside the norm you will attract attention sometimes in unwanted undesired ways. This is NOT something unique to being openly LGBT.

Being a victim of a hate crime is much less likely to happen on trail, than it is in town. I would be more cautious hitching, on side trails, and in more rural towns. I'll be hiking solo, not with my partner, but this was a concern for me as well.

Trail towns are accustomed to all manor of strange people with backpacks passing through. People living in these towns also realize hikers spend money in their town and therefore treat hikers well. Of course, it is still possible to meet a jerk here or there, but that would be an exception. Start to stray well away from the trail, the situation might become different.

One thing you learn hiking the AT (and other trails as well) is that people are by and large friendly, helpful and generous. Respect their beliefs and values and they will respect yours.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The trail folks are pretty safe...in towns, tone down the public displays of affection and you should be good...had no problems on any of my section hikes

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Lee Swislow, former Executive Director of GLAD (Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders) out of Boston, took a leave in 2011 and thru-hiked the trail. You might want to check out her journal under her trail name of "Glad Gal". Maybe contact her if you have other questions.

http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=11762
    I was going to post exactly this. I hiked with GLAD Gal and Clutch for a couple hundred miles in 2011 and I can't recall it ever being an issue on or off the trail.
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

I think it's natural to have this type of fear even though our society is alot more accepting and tolerant of us gays and lesbians (certainly more than when I was growing up in the 80's) but I think if you just let people get to know you for the wonderful person you are, who happens to be gay, then you will be fine.

My experiences on the trail as a gay woman: I've never had a problem and I don't hide my sexuality but it's certainly not the first thing I tell someone when I meet them. Not becasue I am afraid but because it doesn't matter. If I do meet people and get involved in conversation and dating comes up I usually just insert the she in there without skipping a beat. If they're uncomfortable, I'll see it in there reaction but most people don't really give a crap anyway. As long as you're not pushing it on them...just my two cents.
    hike on...

Like another poster stated, I don't believe it would be any more dangerous than your daily lives now. The world is a dangerous place for everyone... but if we let that hold us back, if we tried to hide from it, that wouldn't really be living.

++ New Posts ++