WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ramen Noodles bad for you?

Just saw this and thought I would post.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/why-ram...747327572.html

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

There is a brand of ramen that is a bit healthier, Koyo. They bake the noodles instead of deep frying and use organic wheat.

http://www.koyonaturalfoods.com/general_FAQs.aspx
    --

Hike Safe.

Incidentally, I'm a fan of Ramen noodles.

"...this study is too small to conclude anything..."

If you are hiking, you need the fat calories. Nothing wrong with having fat in your diet. Having a mixture is probably better than just carbs.

As Sympathetic Joy linked there are Ramen Noodles that do NOT contain MSG, TBHQ, super high amts of Na or saturated fats, are NOT made from genetically modified ingredients, are NOT packaged in BPA containing packaging AND do NOT cost a small fortune. There are Ramen Noodle substitutes as well such as Udoon, Soba(Buckwheat), Rive, and various other noodles/pastas made from various grains/flours/seeds/legumes, etc

I like almost all pasta, but I prefer angel hair and penne and some ribbon styles.
    A little oil or butter, some spices, and a little grated cheese is good, with no sauce which is doable when hiking.
    Never got into the Ramen thing but they do taste good.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    I like almost all pasta, but I prefer angel hair and penne and some ribbon styles.
    A little oil or butter, some spices, and a little grated cheese is good, with no sauce which is doable when hiking.
    Never got into the Ramen thing but they do taste good.
    Once in a while, I pack ramen, but I almost always throw away the flavor packet. I can fix up a pretty fair Italian sauce (Harmony House tomato powder, dehydrated onion and celery and carrot, dried garlic, red pepper flakes, basil, oregano, marjoram, bay leaf, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste) on the trail to go on it instead. Throw in some diced abruzzese sausage (travels well, no refrigeration needed) and/or some string cheese. Next best thing to having a pizza delivered, and you can eat out of the freezer bag, dirtying only your spork.

Couscous is probably healthier than the ramen, and cooks well in a freezer bag. Pastina works too, or capellini, or any small pasta shapes that cook in 7 minutes. If they take 7 minutes on the stove top, give them 15 in the freezer bag.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Once in a while, I pack ramen, but I almost always throw away the flavor packet. I can fix up a pretty fair Italian sauce (Harmony House tomato powder, dehydrated onion and celery and carrot, dried garlic, red pepper flakes, basil, oregano, marjoram, bay leaf, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste) on the trail to go on it instead. Throw in some diced abruzzese sausage (travels well, no refrigeration needed) and/or some string cheese. Next best thing to having a pizza delivered, and you can eat out of the freezer bag, dirtying only your spork.

Couscous is probably healthier than the ramen, and cooks well in a freezer bag. Pastina works too, or capellini, or any small pasta shapes that cook in 7 minutes. If they take 7 minutes on the stove top, give them 15 in the freezer bag.
    I did find a tomato powder in a local store but have not tried it. Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Exactly what does one expect goes into their food when their CHOICE is Top Ramen or Marauchen brand Ramen at 20 cents per package?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Incidentally, I'm a fan of Ramen noodles.
    I met a 4-year old who loves them...doused with catsup!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

This should be common sense, am I wrong?

Eh. Only time I eat them is when I am backpacking, and if it is any kind of long distance hike my food preferences usually change over the hike so that I am not eating them every day or even every week.
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

"Organic" wheat doesn't have any nutritional value that non-organic wheat does. All you're doing is paying extra for that word on the packaging.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Journal Entries

I cook them up and add frozen mixed vegetables turns out like cup of noodles for about 20 cents. A small bag of vegetables last a couple days on the trail. YMMV
    Blackheart

On the trail I cook them with dehydrated veggies, add cream of chicken soup packet then add a can of chicken. Really good on a cold rainy day.

Maybe there's something to eating too much of this stuff, like as a main meal day-after-day...However, I still say that the worst thing we can do is just eat too much, period. We all need to not be so afraid (yes, afraid is the correct description) of a little hunger pains and do a little more physical activity, again that is something people are afraid of...

The fact is we are too quick to blame this or that and now it seems like all the talk about saturated fats were just wrong http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...ype=blogs&_r=0, so we kind of gotta go back to the drawing board WRT nutritional issues, but until we understand it, it seems like all things in moderation, seems like the best general advice.

Another thing to factor in is that our numbers (human population) is so large and our media is so encompassing that some things can easily be taken out of context. It seems that some of us are just genetically predisposed to suffer from hardening of the arteries and the fact the there are over 7-billion of us, that's just more that have this disposition; add to that the freight (as mentioned above) causing people to overeat and do less, no wonder why it's the number one killer...

Just a few examples of how our modern lifestyles are not totally to blame for this issue,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...394_story.html

http://www.medicaldaily.com/infamous...disease-296216

BTW, I got two boxes in my kitchen, it'll get all eaten up

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Maybe there's something to eating too much of this stuff, like as a main meal day-after-day...However, I still say that the worst thing we can do is just eat too much, period. We all need to not be so afraid (yes, afraid is the correct description) of a little hunger pains and do a little more physical activity, again that is something people are afraid of...
    I agree. Need to keep things in perspective. I think for a long distance hiker to worry about ramen is like not calling an ambulance when having a heart attack for fear that you might get hurt in an accident on the way to the hospital.

If ramen will kill you all college students would be dead.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++