WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Default Parking / Directions to Springer

Hey all. On or around the 21st of October (2005) I will be transiting through Georgia on my way back to the DC area. I plan to detour to Springer Mtn. and do an overnight. I have a couple of questions...

1). Is there parking? Will I have to hike the approach, or can I park at the top?

2) If I do the approach, does that mean I'll be overnighting at the top of Springer, or is there even a shelter up there?

3) How do I get to Springer? Growing up my family had a farm in Dahlonega, so directions from there would suffice.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Stop at Amicalola State Park visitors center and get directions for the parking lot at USFS 42 .9 from Springer.

GAME 2000
    Images

I did a search and found this thread in the archives: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...tions+Springer .

There is not any parking fee these days at that parking lot and there is a shelter 0.2 mile from the southern terminus of the AT on Springer. Like L. Wolf said, the parking lot is on the AT, 0.9 mile from the terminus. There are places to camp right at the terminus as well as designated campsites around the shelter.

Those are directions if you are coming from Atlanta. Of course if you are coming from another direction there are other ways to get there that will be shorter. You can access Doublehead gap road where it ends on GA60 NW of Springer, you can access FSR42 NE of Springer where it ends on GA60 (much longer ride on forest service roads) and there is another set of directions from SE (or Dahlonega and it includes several forest service or gravel roads for more than the 6.5 miles coming in off of Doublehead Gap Road).

Youngblood
    Last edited by Youngblood; 10-09-2005 at 11:54.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Thanks, I didn't find that post when I searched.

Do y'all think there'll be any people there in late October?
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Newb
    Thanks, I didn't find that post when I searched.

Do y'all think there'll be any people there in late October?
    There ain't no telling, but that is prime leaf watching time in north GA so you will likely have some folks up that way during the day... especially on weekends.

++ New Posts ++