WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken Skullz View Post
    I disagree sarcasm. During nice weather, I would gladly give up my spot in a shelter to a thru hiker, especially if I have other options. It was a bit of tongue in cheek but if I have been out for a few days and a legit dude (or dudette) came along that was doing the whole AT in one go, I feel they can sleep in the shelter if they want and I will pitch a tent or hang my hammock nearby.

Never had to do it but I would.
    We're all guests out there, there's no rank or heirarchy despite what some people would like to think. If you're a nice guy and give up a spot to someone that you think needs it more than you then that speaks highly of your character, but don't be fooled into thinking that you are obligated to do it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Oh I know that I don't have to, but if you see someone plodding up the hill and they are a thru hiker, give them your spot, you will thank yourself for not having to sleep next to their stinky socks all night long.
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    We're all guests out there, there's no rank or heirarchy despite what some people would like to think. If you're a nice guy and give up a spot to someone that you think needs it more than you then that speaks highly of your character, but don't be fooled into thinking that you are obligated to do it.

Agreed......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Ok, if rules are posted follow the rules. If not, there are no rules at a shelter.

Seatbelt, how about sharing with us the rules you noted at shelters in the Smokies so we all know.
    Heck, I can't remember all of them--stuff like; no cooking inside shelter, use designated "toilet" area, no tenting inside, etc. Just general stuff. I didn't take a pic of the rules. Not sure if all of them(in the Smokies) have them. No offense intended. I would be willing to bet that some of the others have some postings as well.

Images

Oh I know that I don't have to, but if you see someone plodding up the hill and they are a thru hiker, give them your spot, you will thank yourself for not having to sleep next to their stinky socks all night long.
    even at mid-night ?? after you're all set up ?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Just saying it is nice to do nice things for thru hikers and I for one will ideally make room for someone on a thru. If I just put in 24 miles and they did 8, then pitch a tent, but if I did 8 and they did 24 miles and have been out on the trail for months, then yeah, I will give you a place.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by No Directions View Post
    I will use a shelter in bad weather and I am not a newbie or lazy.

I don't think that problems with others are all that common in shelters. Most people are respectful of others. Last fall I arrived at a shelter just before a line of thunderstorms was moving through. A couple with a dog had a tent set up inside the shelter on the sleeping platform. As soon as they realized they were taking up too much space and the shelter was filling up they moved the tent down onto the floor of the shelter.
    Is it common practice to set one's tent up inside a shelter?? I would think that if you did that and the shelter starts to fill up that you should automatically take your tent down to allow everyone more space and not force people into having to manuevering around your tent.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

why put a shelter in a shelter? it's extremely rude. folks doin' that should stay home

Just saying it is nice to do nice things for thru hikers and I for one will ideally make room for someone on a thru. If I just put in 24 miles and they did 8, then pitch a tent, but if I did 8 and they did 24 miles and have been out on the trail for months, then yeah, I will give you a place.
    thru-hikers are not special. they're on vacation

Haha. True. I wish I could go "on vacation" more often.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    why put a shelter in a shelter? it's extremely rude. folks doin' that should stay home
    I've done it twice during January snowstorms in New England. Both times we hadn't seen another overnight hiker the whole day. In the off chance that someone else had stumbled in, we would have moved the tent out immediately.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

now it goes to the hiker with the most miles?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Why are you being critical Karl? If you feel differently then don't make space. As for me, I respect those who are dedicating months of their time to make a truly remarkable life journey. I understand if you don't understand and it's not up to me to be critical of your ideology so please respect mine and let's move on with the discussion.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by runt13 View Post
    OK! not having spent any time in a shelter, it seems to me that if you set up camp so your looking into a shelter its like looking into a big TV with a horrible soap opera on!

just saying.
    Ha! This brought back memories. I had been out about three weeks and it was around mid morning. All of the sudden I heard a male and female shouting and screaming at each other somewhere in front of me. Sure enough about a minute later I came upon a shelter just off the trail. I approached as I needed water from the spring. Dropped my pack on the table as these two continued the fuss, but did quiten slightly. When I returned from spring the girl appoligized for the loudness. I smiled and replied , no problem this is like hiker tv, I have'nt had this much excitment in DAYS!

Images

Uhh, nobody said that thru hikers have precedence at shelters over day hikers or section hikers. They have a lot longer days than the above mentioned folks and deserve the space in my opinion.

The worse they smell the higher the priority they get in a shelter.
    Why are you being critical Karl? If you feel differently then don't make space. As for me, I respect those who are dedicating months of their time to make a truly remarkable life journey. I understand if you don't understand and it's not up to me to be critical of your ideology so please respect mine and let's move on with the discussion.
    While you have attempted to backpeddle a little, your initial point was more than mere opinion and presented as a rule that should be followed by all.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Hm if aroma is the qualifier I'm a thru hiker after just a few days (or so I've been told).
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    While you have attempted to backpeddle a little, your initial point was more than mere opinion and presented as a rule that should be followed by all.
    Read my first post tuckahoe. I believe I indicated pretty early on "in my opinion" .

Journal Entries
    Images

Not a bad idea to announce yourself with a whistle, clank or hello when coming up to a shelter from the blind side.

Poking your head around the corner and surprising those who got there first with your impressing of Jack Nicholson in the Shining is to be discouraged-- especially after dark.

Images

Shelter etiquette in my mind is common sense stuff anyway .

Make as little noise as possible upon early morning wake up, cook at the table/cooking area ,
    Leave wet clothes outside sleeping area.
    RESPECT others the same as you yourself want to be respected.
    Keep opinions about other hikers gear to yourself unless asked personally.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I've done it twice during January snowstorms in New England. Both times we hadn't seen another overnight hiker the whole day. In the off chance that someone else had stumbled in, we would have moved the tent out immediately.
    you were not prepared. bottom line

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++