WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Images

All you got to know is ; IF? your dog is clean and well behaved, then the last place you want it is shackin up next me for the night. By morning i will have taught it how to beg and hump legs and it will be infested with fleas, ticks, ear mites. And also have picked up a bad case of the mange.

you've been warned.

Snoring
    I'm surprised the few comments about snoring, I think I snore, unfortunately do not have a sleeping partner.
    A fair amount of what has been said is about respecting others sleep time.
    I heard about someone who passed out ear plugs for everyone.
    Maybe I should tent it to not bother others sleep.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    Taken out of context. I'm referring to mandatory shelter stays and lack of campsites along the AT, not the park itself. It was a tongue in cheek reference to the rules. I'd rather not do the slumber party, but hey, whaddya gonna do?

And the idiot hikers were all over this weekend. When will people learn Mountain House packages don't burn in a fire"

nope.....not taken outta context.....

again, the reason the shelter stays and no campsites on the at in the park are mandatory are the result of inconsiderate hikers........

the park has to contain the damage somehow, and that's how they do it......

Images

This is basically a non issue as black bears will normally avoid dogs whenever they can.

i think the issue would be more of a dog chasing a bear.........

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i think the issue would be more of a dog chasing a bear.........
    I tented with a guy that had a dog and during one of our conversations he said that he never needed a bear bag because of his dog.

Anyone had a dog lift their leg on their tent? Seen that happen, but haven't had it happen to me yet (that I know of).

I don't hang bear bag if I have my dog... Bears are afraid of dogs as hunters use dogs to tree black bears...thank god I've never had him piss on any gear....it would be his last hike if he did...He'd kill a bear...he's a mean mofo....they'd coke on him he only weighs 18lbs but thinks he weighs 100...Kullman syndrome..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil man syndrome....I've got fat fingers and spell check sux

Quote Originally Posted by Wülfgang View Post
    I do not understand why people would want to stay in shelters, barring horrible weather.

Out west we just don't have them, and I'm amazed at how many AT and LT hikers do the shelter-to-shelter thing. After a serene day in the woods who wants to sleep on a crowded hard wood floor while listening to others talk, fart, cook, eat, shuffle, complain....
    Shelters aren't always full, nor always unpleasant given the right company combinations. Frequently the shelters I've used are empty. Some sections of the AT require the use of shelters or the immediate area to them to control camping impact. Sometimes you have to make the best of a situation.

+1

I don't really get the general shelter loathing either. Maybe because I've not thru hiked so my experience doesn't coincide with mass groups of people arriving at the shelter. My experience as a weekend to occasional week long backpacker more typically has me finding shelters with no more than a couple of people (and often they're just empty). In that situation they're often convenient places to cook/relax/sleep with a convenient picnic table and toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    Lone Wolf - I will not fall victim to online intimidation or passive aggressive insults to my integrity.

However if you, Kevin, or anyone else can tell me that shelters are legitimately off limits to dogs (whether in general or specific locations along the AT)....
    THEN I'll respect that and setup my tarp. Without that I'm afraid "....Because...." just isn't good enough.
    If your hiking with a dog and want to stay in a shelter take a vote if the vote says yes then no problem but keep your nasty dog off my gear or they will be a problem.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    nope.....not taken outta context.....

again, the reason the shelter stays and no campsites on the at in the park are mandatory are the result of inconsiderate hikers........

the park has to contain the damage somehow, and that's how they do it......
    1) I understand fully WHY the rules are in place in GSMNP.

2) Yes, I think you did take my statement out of context. It's like complaining about all the "stupid" rocks in PA. I don't think the Smokies are actually stupid-it's a beautiful place, but talk to a lot of thrus and they'll tell you they were glad to finally exit the park and be able to tent. Different circumstances beget different opinions.

It's hard to detect sarcasm in a forum, but please don't tell me what I meant by my statement.

You have a beautiful state, by the way!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    If your hiking with a dog and want to stay in a shelter take a vote if the vote says yes then no problem but keep your nasty dog off my gear or they will be a problem.
    Lone Wolf - I will not fall victim to online intimidation or passive aggressive insults to my integrity.

However if you, Kevin, or anyone else can tell me that shelters are legitimately off limits to dogs (whether in general or specific locations along the AT)....
    THEN I'll respect that and setup my tarp. Without that I'm afraid "....Because...." just isn't good enough.
    As a dog owner that has taken her hiking, I would ask first if anyone had heartburn with my dog being in there, but that never happens because I bring a bigger tent when she comes along, and minus extreme weather wouldn't take her in there at all.

I dont like when she's wet and shakes all over my gear-I can see how that would piss someone else off.

The same courtesy should go for lighting up a cigarette or "other" substances in a shelter as well.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Mountain Edward View Post
    Shelters seem to attract the kind of people best avoided such as snorers, moochers, car campers, party all nighters. I like dogs but dont want to share floor space with them. I seen some bad behavior such as public sex, drinking then puking, drunken late night gunfire at shelters.
    Shelters attract hikers that like or want to use them. Please be careful with your insults. To judge people based on their shelter of choice is foolish.
    While I have seen drinking in and around shelters, I thankfully haven't seen sex displays or people firing off guns.

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    for all the bitching on WB about dogs! its no where near that bad on the trail :-)
    Very true, that.
    Just want to thank you, CrumbSnatcher, for remaining civil and level headed in all your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you would like me in person . may i ask if you've ever hiked long distance on the AT? have any of the dog handlers/owners that you know done any long distance backpacking? and do you make your dog carry a pack?
    No, I don't think I would.
    I have hiked long distance on the AT.
    Yes, some have.
    Yes, when hiking. Unless we're resting, camping, or on a difficult section of trail (I carry his saddlebags in that case).

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    One of my pet peves, walking with my dog in the park and someone insists on their dog approaching mine for the sniff test. I loudly tell them to heel their dog. They don't ! and look at me like I'm a jerk. and say " the dog was just trying to be friendly" my dog likes people but not other dogs. My dog has snapped at other dogs never at a person. They claim their dog is well controlled , then why the tight leash.
    I understand. Unfortunately that happens a lot these days. Most people in society don't know how to read canine behavior, they don't respect boundaries, and don't see any harm or fault in the actions of their dogs or themselves. Would suggest not raising your voice at them in the future. You want to teach them better manners, not immediately put them on the defensive.

I have a similar pet peeve. When people approach my dog and pet him without permission. It drives me crazy sometimes. Recently a couple approached me and the woman immediately stepped in and began petting him. What did I do? I started to pet her male companion. It had the desired effect. In the conversation that followed she learned how to properly ASK for permission and to respect it.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Dogtra maybe your dog is as well behaved as you say. or maybe he is a situation as above, I do not want my gear walked on and knocked over,
    I have no way of judging if your claims are accurate or not, until something happens, There are certainly a lot of dog owners that are blind to their dog's misbehavior. somehow I doubt that you'll buy me a new sleeping bag if your walks on and tears mine.
    Bottom line! I have a right to be suspicious of your dog,
    YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO INFLICT YOUR DOG ON OTHER PEOPLE. Too much crap has happened from people with mis behavied dogs for me to 100% believe you.
    Actually I would buy you a new sleeping bag if my dog damaged yours.
    Perhaps it is all in the word "inflict" that Slo go'en decided to use. I'm not saying I have the right to sic my dog on you with fangs or tongue. I am saying that I have the right to take him out there and coexist.
    I fully understand and even sympathize with you over your bad experiences with bad dog owners. Yet I'll let you judge my dog and myself in person, not over the internet. I'm sorry but I'll not leave my dog at home because I don't have your 100% belief in me.

Take care.

I have a similar pet peeve. When people approach my dog and pet him without permission. It drives me crazy sometimes. Recently a couple approached me and the woman immediately stepped in and began petting him. What did I do? I started to pet her male companion. It had the desired effect. In the conversation that followed she learned how to properly ASK for permission and to respect it.
    That is quite a bizarre story. I guess that I'd expect someone with a dog that expected to be asked for permission to pet it, (unless it's a labeled service animal) to keep it out of public places, which includes the AT. I've met many dogs on the trail and they usually approach me with their tails wagging wanting attention. I pet them. Some dogs aren't as outwardly friendly so I ask the owners if they are friendly. I pet them if they are friendly. Perhaps you might want to pin a sign to the front of your shirt informing people that they need to ask permission to pet your dog. I suspect that would solve the problem, and I doubt you'll get many requests lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
    That is quite a bizarre story. I guess that I'd expect someone with a dog that expected to be asked for permission to pet it, (unless it's a labeled service animal) to keep it out of public places, which includes the AT. I've met many dogs on the trail and they usually approach me with their tails wagging wanting attention. I pet them. Some dogs aren't as outwardly friendly so I ask the owners if they are friendly. I pet them if they are friendly. Perhaps you might want to pin a sign to the front of your shirt informing people that they need to ask permission to pet your dog. I suspect that would solve the problem, and I doubt you'll get many requests lol.
    Haaaa...this post is very entertaining...

@ Alligator
    When Lone Wolf posted the link I immediately read up on it but thank you for posting it regardless. Please understand what parts of that article are regulations/requirements and what parts are suggestions and considerations. Also don't make the mistake as summing me up as inconsiderate, irresponsible, or unreasonable. I am being extremely reasonable. I've stated many times what I would and wouldn't do concerning my dog in shelters. I'm not sitting behind this screen cackling evilly like some mad villain.

If I attempted to stay with my dog in a shelter I would try for him to be between me and a side wall, on the foot of my bag or at my head if its crowded. Worry is a part of life, sadly. We can worry about so many things in and out of a shelter environment. Yet I'll let the behavior of my dog speak for itself. People are more unpredictable than dogs. IF my dog did anything but stay on his pad in a shelter, Alligator, he and I would lose all rights to stay in them again. You may forgive him later - but I would not.

The amount of unhealthy allergens in shelters should keep us all away. If someone has a severe allergy to dogs and is hiking in territory that allows them, they should be prepared. The same with people with other allergies. Who is to say a dog didn't rest inside a shelter before moving on hours before? Or that someone didn't leave a trace of nut butter somewhere there too? But lets say we dog have a case of a dog and a dog allergic individual. Where is the line drawn then if staying on a designated pad in a shelter and/or on leash around a shelter isn't good enough? Am I then not allowed to eat at the nearby picnic table with my dog on a down/stay beneath me? Is 10 yards away satisfactory? 50 yards? 100 yards? What about sharing a shuttle?
    Do you see where that can lead?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++