WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana First AT Section Hike!!!!!

It is finally here. This year, I have gone from day hiker, to overnight hikers, to finally section hiker!!!

I will be doing the first section of AT. I have 3-4 days to get to at least Unicoi Gap. Dicks Creek would be awesome, but likely too ambitious. Maybe Tray Gap is a good compromise.

So I have my final pack weight. 32 lbs 14 oz. Break down:

Pack 3 lbs
    (A lot of) Socks Bag 1 lb 4 oz
    Camp Clothes 1 lb 4 oz
    Additional Hiking Clothes 1 lb 7 oz
    Dirty Clothes Bag 1 oz
    Sleeping System (tent, bag, footprint, pad) 7 lbs 7 oz
    Food Bag (4 days) 4 lbs 10 oz
    Water 2 liters pack 4 lbs 8 oz
    Misc (cook system, rope, fuel, tape, etc) 2 lbs 10 oz
    Mesh Pockets (clean 1 L smart water bottle, dirty empty 1 L bottle, rain gear, pack cover) 3 lbs 9 oz
    Camp Shoes 12 oz
    Bug repellant; headnet 3 oz.
    Brain (water filter, first aid, electronic, extra compactor bag, extra 1 L platypus) 2 lbs 3 oz

Springer here I come!!!!!!!!!!

Pack 3 lbs
    (A lot of) Socks Bag 1 lb 4 oz need 2 pair
    Camp Clothes 1 lb 4 oz dont need its summer
    Additional Hiking Clothes 1 lb 7 oz dont need but one set of clothes to walk in
    Dirty Clothes Bag 1 oz without the extra clothes, wont need a bag to put them in
    Sleeping System (tent, bag, footprint, pad) 7 lbs 7 oz leaver footprint, not needed
    Food Bag (4 days) 4 lbs 10 oz
    Water 2 liters pack 4 lbs 8 oz
    Misc (cook system, rope, fuel, tape, etc) 2 lbs 10 oz
    Mesh Pockets (clean 1 L smart water bottle, dirty empty 1 L bottle, rain gear, pack cover) 3 lbs 9 oz
    Camp Shoes 12 oz dont need
    Bug repellant; headnet 3 oz.
    Brain (water filter, first aid, electronic, extra compactor bag, extra 1 L platypus) 2 lbs 3 oz

just my quick cleanout 2 cents
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Remember less is better!!! It's summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Remember less is better!!! It's summer

AMEN TO THAT SALTY! Thus is why I am day hiking all weekend in erwin instead of backpacking haha

I agree, way too many clothes. I would take only my worn hiking clothes and a extra pair of socks.

If you are uncomfortable with not having extra clothes, take an extra shirt and underwear, but not both extra hiking and camp clothes.

I am also a little confused about your water. You state 2 liters of water, plus 2 water bottles, plus a 1L bladder. Does this mean you have 5 liters of water capacity and are only carrying 2 liters at any given time? I would only carry 2-3 liters of capacity and only have 1-2 liters of water at any given time unless on a long stretch between water sources.

Footprint is not needed, nor are camp shoes if you wear trail runners. If you wear boots, I would keep the camp shoes.

Main thing is, have fun!

As well, I dont carry rope and yes that means i dont hang my food bag. I sleep with it under my head/ in my sleeping bag lol

If you are planning on staying at the shelters, almost every shelter in GA has bear cables. If you end up somewhere without them, just sleep with your food.

Socks are more important to me than my tent!!! I sweat a lot and my feet blister. I think I am bringing (including what I wearing) 3 liners + 4 hiking socks + 2 darn tuff socks. I'd rather have several pair of socks then food it is that bad lol. Camp shoes are necessary to let my feet get air while I am in camp. To me at least, the only thing more important than these two items is air.

I can carry up to 5 liters of water. I will carry 2-3 liters at any given time. I drink a lot of water and hate stopping for re-supply. I'd rather deal with extra weight. At least at this point, by Sunday it may be another story! Also I have that much because there are some campsites that are dry that I really want to stay at. So for the last 2 miles from last water source, I want to carry plenty of water for all I need and to rehydrate at dry campsite.

I think I agree I can leave my camp clothes (except boxers) and just have spare hiking clothes as camp/spare hiking clothes. That is 1 lb 7 oz less.

As for rope, I refuse to sleep with food bag. I am not going to be staying in shelters so I need that rope to hang food.

Thanks for suggestions all. I will thank you when I get back for helping me carry 1 lb 7 oz less!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    Socks are more important to me than my tent!!! I sweat a lot and my feet blister. I think I am bringing (including what I wearing) 3 liners + 4 hiking socks + 2 darn tuff socks. I'd rather have several pair of socks then food it is that bad lol. Camp shoes are necessary to let my feet get air while I am in camp. To me at least, the only thing more important than these two items is air.

I can carry up to 5 liters of water. I will carry 2-3 liters at any given time. I drink a lot of water and hate stopping for re-supply. I'd rather deal with extra weight. At least at this point, by Sunday it may be another story! Also I have that much because there are some campsites that are dry that I really want to stay at. So for the last 2 miles from last water source, I want to carry plenty of water for all I need and to rehydrate at dry campsite.

I think I agree I can leave my camp clothes (except boxers) and just have spare hiking clothes as camp/spare hiking clothes. That is 1 lb 7 oz less.

As for rope, I refuse to sleep with food bag. I am not going to be staying in shelters so I need that rope to hang food.

Thanks for suggestions all. I will thank you when I get back for helping me carry 1 lb 7 oz less!!!
    9 total pairs of socks....really??
    1 liner
    2-pair darn tough(hike/sleep)
    If your feet sweat that bad I highly suggest trail runners....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    9 total pairs of socks....really??
    1 liner
    2-pair darn tough(hike/sleep)
    If your feet sweat that bad I highly suggest trail runners....

After this hike, that switch will be made. I know it is over kill, but I don't want to cut myself short because of blisters.

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    After this hike, that switch will be made. I know it is over kill, but I don't want to cut myself short because of blisters.
    I used to get blisters also till I made the switch... I'd try before u go....IMO...have fun

Section Hiker

Everyone takes too much initially, but that's part of how you learn what works and what you really need. You'll figure it out. But, I have awful foot issues too, and I think the right socks and the right shoes will help keep you from problems as well as having to carry so many socks. Keep trying different types of both until you get the right combo. I ended up with trail runners (Brooks Cascadia) and Injinji Trail toe socks (no liners). I wear 1 and carry 1 of those, and 1 pair of darn tough hiking sock plus Injinji toe liner to go with them.

I do think you have a bit too much, but I do use one set of hiking clothes and one set of sleeping clothes (tee and shorts), plus a light fleece and long lightweight pants. I was VERY cold at Muskrat Creek Shelter after storms on August 2. Took no pants. I don't care if the town forecast is for 95 degrees, I'm always taking long pants into the mountains from now on.

Take a little time to get a shakedown at Mountain Crossings. By the time you get there you may feel better about parting with some of the extra stuff.

And above all: HAVE A FANTASTIC HIKE!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

In addition to my hiking clothes worn, I always take a spare set to sleep in this time of year. Typically: light wind pants, light long sleeved shirt, 100 wt fleece vest, and a beanie hat. I sleep in a very lightweight down quilt so these extra clothes can supplement my sleep system. I agree with slbirdnerd. Summer thunderstorms will drop the temperature rapidly at elevations.

++ New Posts ++