WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hair Cutting?

Default Hair Cutting?

I am a female and I have really long hair I am not emotionally attatched to should I get a pixie cut on the hike to make it easier to check for ticks?
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

IMHO yes, and if you go that route, think "Locks For Love". The shorter hair will make it easier all the way around, from wearing a cap to cleaning up.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Images

You got the right idea - it makes for easier maintenance.

"Locks for Love" is a great cause also~for sure !
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    IMHO yes, and if you go that route, think "Locks For Love". The shorter hair will make it easier all the way around, from wearing a cap to cleaning up.
    Yeah, I probaboy donate it to 'Wigs for Kids' and get a punky faux hawk. Probably dye it blue or something.
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

I've been toying with the idea of cutting my hair too - just can't commit to the length I want to chop it to!!

Farren, you might want to post your question in the female forum as well. Although tick bites are something to avoid IMHO you might not overthink cutting your hair strictly because of this. If you do cut hair do it in a style that also makes it easier to care for on long treks. Many female hikers have long hair that they braid, crunch op, rubber band, or in some way contain which I would think would cut down on ticks attaching themselves to long hair. No, not every long distance female hiker has short hair! If you're going to take the position of cutting the hair on your head to address ticks be also mindful of cutting/trimming underarm and pubic hair. They like warm places to settle in and attach themselves. I do occasionally find them around the ears and neck, inner thigh, butt crack, lower back, behind the knees, etc. And, there's no substitute for a good tick repellent in especially high tick disease carrying areas.

My two girls, 7 &10 both did LFL. friend of our family is dealing with breast cancer. Great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Farren, you might want to post your question in the female forum as well. Although tick bites are something to avoid IMHO you might not overthink cutting your hair strictly because of this. If you do cut hair do it in a style that also makes it easier to care for on long treks. Many female hikers have long hair that they braid, crunch op, rubber band, or in some way contain which I would think would cut down on ticks attaching themselves to long hair. No, not every long distance female hiker has short hair! If you're going to take the position of cutting the hair on your head to address ticks be also mindful of cutting/trimming underarm and pubic hair. They like warm places to settle in and attach themselves. I do occasionally find them around the ears and neck, inner thigh, butt crack, lower back, behind the knees, etc. And, there's no substitute for a good tick repellent in especially high tick disease carrying areas.
    Oh yeah! Im totally drowning everything in permetherin.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    My two girls, 7 &10 both did LFL. friend of our family is dealing with breast cancer. Great experience.
    LFL charges for wigs and doesn't actually do wigs for cancer patients. They also sell hair to china and pocket the profits. Wigs for Kids on the other hand actually does wigs for cancer patients along with various other illnesses, does fund raising for each child, and doesn't sell hair for personal profit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Farren View Post
    LFL charges for wigs and doesn't actually do wigs for cancer patients. They also sell hair to china and pocket the profits. Wigs for Kids on the other hand actually does wigs for cancer patients along with various other illnesses, does fund raising for each child, and doesn't sell hair for personal profit.
    Sorry but I have to call shenanigans on that...

The only real controversy was a bit of a hatchet job by the Huffington Post last year -- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3269078.html

Amazingly though ABC News did a much better job of covering the so called controversy -- http://abcnews.go.com/Health/locks-l...ry?id=19192601

The real issue is that their tax forms seem to be a bit sloppy.

Charity Navigator gives Locks of Love a fairly high grade -- http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...5#.U_gOX30pDMK

LFL charges for wigs and doesn't actually do wigs for cancer patients. .
    From Locks of Love's website they state that the make prosthetics for both those with alopecia and as a result of cancer/radiation therapy. And as for charging --

Q. What do the children pay for these hairpieces?
    A. We provide hairpieces and repairs free of charge or on a sliding scale based on the financial need of those responsible for the children.
    For which, I really don't see a problem with that.

They also sell hair to china and pocket the profits. Wigs for Kids on the other hand actually does wigs for cancer patients along with various other illnesses, does fund raising for each child, and doesn't sell hair for personal profit.
    I believe that the HuffPo arficle references a NY Times article which states that about 80% of the hair received is not useable because is either too short, bleached or gray. Again, I see no problem with the disposal of unuseable hair by selling it to manufactures in China. As their operating expenses as $1.3 million, and their contributions and grants received are only $765,000, I would expect that difference to be made up somewhere. Selling unseable hair that does not meet their requirements seems rather reasonable and responsible to me.

Really I dont care who one donates to, but atleast be accurate with criticisms and not malign a charity without anything to back it up.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I used to have very long, curly, thick hair. Fast forward a couple of years, and I'm now sporting a buzz cut.

Having had both, and having been on doxycycliene for two weeks this summer because of a dang lymey tick, I'd recommend going short. Aside from ticks, you'll just feel cleaner with less hair, especially when the heat starts up. I'm from the mid-Atlantic, and summer is unbearable with long hair.

Mr $.02: get it trimmed and thinned if you have thick hair. The shorter and thinner, the better.

I saw 4 girls hiking NOBO in hot springs this year, all 4 had just buzzed their heads that night, pretty cool!
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Legs View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of cutting my hair too - just can't commit to the length I want to chop it to!!
    Figure how much your hair grows in the time it will take to hike the AT.

Hair grows 4 inches during your hike, you want 6 inches of hair at end of hike, trim it all back to 2 inches.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

I have had hair all different lengths. Until two years ago I had it buzzed, or very short for the ten years before that. IMO, it will only be marginally easier to find ticks with short hair unless you go SUPER short. My hair is a little longer than shoulder length now, and somewhat thick. My hairstylist and I just decided yesterday that I will actually grow it longer and grow my layers out longer so that it will be easier to put up on the trail (she threatened to maim me if I let another hiker chop it off I admit that it will take longer to feel for ticks, and harder to wash than if it were short, but it has taken me a long time to grow it out so I am keeping it. If you want hair that is easier to take care of, and you're not really in love with your longer hair, then consider cutting it. I guess only you can decide if it is something you really want to do.

Short is lowest maintenence, and long is medium care. The worst is the hair that isn't short but isn't long enough to be pulled back!

Journal Entries

Considering a lot of people abandon their thru attempt after a few days/weeks, you might consider keeping your hair long until you're far enough on the trail to have a good idea of whether you'll stick with it or not.
    Also, it's not like March in Georgia is prime tick season. Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    +1 It's what I will be doing. Rather looking forward to it, actually, as I'm sick of long hair.

I have very long hair and cannot accept the idea of cutting mine for a thru.. not sure what I'd do though. I'm extremely outdoorsy and hike a lot but hygiene and hair are two things I care about greatly. Even though it stays in a pony tail, I brush my hair all the time. I would probably keep it in a braid with a hat if I went on longer hikes than what I have been doing. Really good question and thread though since I have wondered what I would do myself..

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I'm not hiking thru, but I'm doing a 6 week section in April. I'm going to cut my longish hair all off! I've done this before, seems like every 1.5 years I chop it all off. I really dislike long hair when I have it, and want it again about 6 months after cutting it. Never satisfied, I guess. My hair grows super fast and after a year it goes from pixie length to shoulders. Overall, short hair is sooooo much easier than long, especially since I have oily hair and a short cut hides that way better. No tangles, no mess, short dry time. It's awesome now that I think about it, I can't wait for my haircut!

Section Hiker

I wouldn't cut it short again for a section, but would seriously consider it for a thru. Not even so much for ticks but just to make it easier to deal with (very thick hair, think shrubbery!). For now, as a section hiker, I find the long hair easier with a pony tail and hat. Have a great hike!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

++ New Posts ++