Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I would area on staying north unless you have millions to spend south of Fort pierce or Vero. The west coat is even worse with retirees that have unlimited money to spend. On the east coast mainland Sebastian is nice. As long as you stay away from the coast and big $$$$ retirement areas you can find nice areas.

Alafia state park and surrounding areas have some great MTBing trails, same with santos along the greenway. So many good trails up there. Just rarely see hikers. Ocala has some bears to keep you on your feet. Even heard the panthers are moving north. Lots of springs around also.

Just remember MTB'ers rule most off the trails.

Whoops I'm a MTB'er looking to hike? Sorry guys. Just a fair warning.

Journal Entries

Screw the west coast....water in the summer is like a bath tub and it's full of ol' farts in faded yella leisure suits driving equally faded yella Cadillacs at twenty nine miles an hour......come to the east coast, north of Sebastian and enjoy the waves....l
    The florida trail is less than an hour away and you can hike the Ocala Forest along with the bears...
    Of course, Florida is a big pool table and the only mountains are trash dumps covered in grass but the winters are pleasant and when you get old, well, the climate is good when your circulation starts packing up...

Images

I am not a big fan of hiking in the everglades but Big Cypress preserve is something really special in the winter months. I have made the hike from the Alley to Tamiami about 5 times without GPS and it really grew on me. I also like Johnathon Dickinson in south Florida. I heard about a hard-core hike from Pa-hay-okee overlook to shark Valley in the Everglades but never had the guts to try it.

At 28 years old I'm guessing you will be looking for a job. That may dictate where your going to live but if you can, stay away from the big cities. Jobs in Fl don't pay nearly as well as jobs up north but one advantage is that there is no Fl income tax. Ocala is hot but it is close to a lot of outdoor recreation areas and the job market has some potential. Construction jobs in the Villiages south of Ocala are pretty plentiful. I personally hate the Villiages but others seem to like the life style. There are places in Fl your not going to find a lot of people your age So scope a place out before you decide.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I've lived in Florida since ... forever. Throwing in my $ 0.02 - I'd go for someplace nearer Atlanta. You get some Fall and Winter weather that Florida lacks. A cosmopolitan community and you're a _lot_ closer to mountains and hiking trails.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    I've lived in Florida since ... forever. Throwing in my $ 0.02 - I'd go for someplace nearer Atlanta. You get some Fall and Winter weather that Florida lacks. A cosmopolitan community and you're a _lot_ closer to mountains and hiking trails.
    +2 to this. Atlanta FTW...

overall hiking in Florida sucks, the terrain is flat, and nothing but sand, swamp, pines and palmettos, and an occasional oak. With the exception of a very few areas in NW Florida, and it's way too hot and humid except for only 3-4 months of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    overall hiking in Florida sucks, the terrain is flat, and nothing but sand, swamp, pines and palmettos, and an occasional oak. With the exception of a very few areas in NW Florida, and it's way too hot and humid except for only 3-4 months of the year.
    Plus 1 on this. good advice. Move to north Georgia better weather better hiking
    good jobs and on and on and on.................................

Images

Don't listen to them, they're just trying to keep you out

Florida is beautiful, it just takes a little patience to understand that. I'm 28, have been living here my whole life and am ready to move on but there is a ton to explore down here if you're looking for a rewarding challenge. Parts of the state are still extremely wild. You don't get drop-to-your-knees-vistas but you get break taking fields of flowers in the spring (yes, we have a spring, despite what the northerners will tell you) and one of the few places in the East where you can still hike with big cats.

My best advice--don't limit yourself to land activities. Get a canoe, some snorkel gear, and maybe even SCUBA experience and get in the water--it's everywhere down here.

not trying to keep anyone out.....
    just stating fact...........you can hike during the
    summer if you like HEAT, TICS, chiggers, red bugs
    and those are the nice things.................
    or you can move north and be happier............
    and by the way I have lived in Florida all my life
    also that's x2 yours Old man..........just sayin.............

Well I made the move down! I played it smart. I work from home, so I can live anywhere and keep my job. I found a month to month, no lease rental for only 400 including utilites in Chiefland Florida. Not the most pleasant place in Florida, but there are plenty of springs and hiking trails and it is a good place to branch out and visit different areas. So far, St Augustine is my number one choice to live so looking for places there! Thanks for all of the feedback! And if anyone is near me and wants to hike sometime let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by joshuauaerbach View Post
    Well I made the move down! I played it smart. I work from home, so I can live anywhere and keep my job. I found a month to month, no lease rental for only 400 including utilites in Chiefland Florida. Not the most pleasant place in Florida, but there are plenty of springs and hiking trails and it is a good place to branch out and visit different areas. So far, St Augustine is my number one choice to live so looking for places there! Thanks for all of the feedback! And if anyone is near me and wants to hike sometime let me know!
    So did you move into one of the new High rises in Chiefland?
    SUPPORT LNT

I found a ...in Chiefland Florida.
    I've not been there but on the map its looks to be centrally located to plenty of hiking and kayaking/canoeing. Check out Cedar Key and Devils Millhopper, both a short drive from you.

Chiefland is located in an area of Florida called the Nature Coast, at one time called the big bend area. The tallest structure in Chiefland is the fire tower just south of town on Hwy 19. With no interstates nearby it feels like the Florida of the 50's. Not a bad thing in by oppinion.
    SUPPORT LNT

In the summer, from sunrise to about 10 a.m. is beautiful for walking.

Journal Entries
    Images

So I've decided to move to Florida, tired of the snow! I've been in Pennsylvania for over 20 years now. I'm trying to decide which area of Florida to live in. I'm looking for area that has a lot of good hiking and camping that is within an hour drive of some nice beaches as well. Any suggestions?

Have you noticed by now tis a little FLAT? come back to PA and PUDS... Pointless Ups and Downs... You wouldn't understand - its PA Rocks.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

I think Orlando is a great place, because you have Ocala National Forest there and you are middle of state so everywhere is not too far away to get to. If you really want to know about the outdoor activities in that area (of which there are many), there is a meetup website from florida trails/orlando. Those members will be able to provide you with all the activities in that area and all the trails. Good luck with your new and warmer life!
    faplache

Journal Entries

Check out floridatrails.org website, then go to the different chapters and events. should be enough to keep you very busy. A couple other websites that I have enjoyed going on trips with are paddleflorida.org and bikeflorida.org but that's if youre into multisports! Best of luck! Faplache

Journal Entries

yeah, true, we don't really hike in the summertime down here. Outdoor activities like backpacking generally start in Oct or Nov until around March or April. And those bugs are definitely something to be prepared for. No fun at all! Faplache

Consider some of the small towns in north Florida, such as DeFuniak Springs and Madison. Gainesville and Tallahassee and DeLand, which are larger and more expensive, have a lot of cultural as well as natural things to offer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++