WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default rei flash backpack

Hello to all,

I only have one pack, an Osprey Atmos 65. Great pack and have no problems with it. I hike the AT in June after I get done teaching and do about 200 miles or so. Also I use it as an overnight or so pack. I do not pack much. I have a light tarp tent, alchy stove, clothes. My heaviest weight is food, and water.

I would like to lighten my packs weight, and there is no way I need 65 liters. I was looking at the large 40 which really is a 50 liter. At the price point with the sale I figured the time s now. I will use the osprey in the late fall or winter.

Does anyone have this pack? Happy with it? unhappy? Other thoughts pertaining to this?

I would appreciate any information or comments.
    Thank you
    Best,
    Floyd

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

My daughter has the women's version of the most recent Flash and it's predecessor. The backpanel of the older style warped badly under tension, but the newest version addresses this with a nice "wrap-around" frame. Everything else worked quite well for her and it is a great lightweight pack for the price. However, if you are looking to lighten up then you might also take a look at the Arc Blast 52L pack offered by zPacks, which will save you another pound of weight.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Maybe get something not made in China.

Images

+1 on the arc blast!

I have the Flash 50 (I believe they changed it to be a bit larger) and have enjoyed it so far on weekend trips. My packweight sticks to the mid 20's & it's never been uncomfortable, or shown any signs of falling apart (despite that fact that I'm pretty rough on my equipment)

Found on sale, I'd say it was a bargain & a good buy. There are lighter packs out there that look cool, but I don't plan on needing to look for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Hello to all,

I only have one pack, an Osprey Atmos 65. Great pack and have no problems with it. I hike the AT in June after I get done teaching and do about 200 miles or so. Also I use it as an overnight or so pack. I do not pack much. I have a light tarp tent, alchy stove, clothes. My heaviest weight is food, and water.

I would like to lighten my packs weight, and there is no way I need 65 liters. I was looking at the large 40 which really is a 50 liter. At the price point with the sale I figured the time s now. I will use the osprey in the late fall or winter.

Does anyone have this pack? Happy with it? unhappy? Other thoughts pertaining to this?

I would appreciate any information or comments.
    Thank you
    Best,
    Floyd
    Keep the Osprey Atmos it's a much better pack than the Flash and will carry a heavier load if and when needed with a lot more comfort. Look at lightening the load by lightening the load contents.

Images

I have the flash45 LARGE and I like it! I have lightened up and was scaling down the size of my pack and this fit the bill nicely. I used it on the AT this year in the Mid Atlantics with a 25lb load with food and water included and was happy and comfortable. I have added a BV450 bear vault into it for a upcoming hike in a bear can required area and have no issues fit or function. From what I saw so far I expect it to serve me well for some time to come.

Images

I have the Flash 45, and have used it on 30 miles of weekend section hikes on the AT this summer with about a 25lb load and love it. Its light, compact, and has managed all of my gear and is very comfortable and manageable. I don't have the strongest lower back, and I'm average height/build and its been perfect for me. I think I paid full price at the time which was around $120 but I really have no complaints. Plus it's REI so I knew I could return it if it didn't work out in the real-life test. It's possible for longer hikes I'd want something bigger but at this stage in my life the longest I can get off from work is a week at a time, and this does the job.

I tried to buy a Flash (62 I think) when it went on deep discount. I'm 6'4 and it did not fit me. If you're tall you may want to check proper fit. Like Sidewinder mentioned I just continue to use my heavier pack b/c the comfort is superior (also an Osprey).

If your gear is small and light so you have no need for a 65 liter pack, then don't keep using a pack that size. The REI Flash, Osprey Exos, or any of several smaller brands like ULA will do very well for you.

I have a Flash 45 and like it. The only problem I had was I bought a medium and should have gotten a large.

Thank you for all your help and responces.

I would keep the osprey atmos 65 and use it as a winter pack. The items I have are really not heavy just bulky and need space.

When I do 2-3 weeks sections on the AT, it is in the summer. I don't bring much. I will probably bring less as my knowledge deepens. I could use the Osprey, but I would like to save some weight in the pack. With the osprey, no matter how much I cinch up the compression straps, it seems like it is always pulling be down, although I have the pack properly adjusted. This may seem like a small quibble but I really want water bottle pockets that can store and retrieve water bottles. I have made adjustments to the osprey to remedy this situation. Love the suspension and have nothing but good things to say about the pack besides that.

I just would like to get a smaller, lighter pack that I can compress down, keep close to the back, to use for the AT and 2-3 day excursions.

I have heard great things about ULA packs but wanted to get other opinions on the matter since The REI pack is on sale. If it is not comfortable it is a deal breaker however.

Best,
    Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    ...I have heard great things about ULA packs but wanted to get other opinions on the matter since The REI pack is on sale. If it is not comfortable it is a deal breaker however.

Best,
    Floyd
    on sale isn't the best reason to buy a pack, unless you already know how the pack fits and feels with the same load weight you intend to carry.

Images

Hey REI FLASH packs are 30% off till the 1st of Sept. That's less than $100.00 for the pack

++ New Posts ++