WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tagged by a new computer virus

There is a new version of a nasty computer virus making the rounds.

I was planning on spending the weekend at the Gathering, but on Friday afternoon my computer alerted me to the presence of a virus called vundo.trojan, a trojan virus that sneaks into your computer through pop-ups or adware. It attacks virtual memory and starts up a variety of processes while dialing up and downloading other malicious code from the net. The worst part of this is that the major anti-virus companies software can detect it, but cannot do asnything about it. Removal is a manual process requiring extensive downloading and running of specialty scanners and tools. Researching and getting rid of this virus cost me my whole weekend. Thanks go out to the techs at Geekstogo.com for walking me through the process and helping me find exactly what files needed to be removed. For a volunteer message-board based group, they responded fast and with solid information that worked.

www.geekstogo.com
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Check the McAfee site for a full description of this problem.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by icemanat95
    There is a new version of a nasty computer virus making the rounds......blah, blah, blah,.........
    I was planning on spending the weekend at the Gathering, but on Friday afternoon my computer alerted me to the presence of a virus called vundo.trojan, a trojan virus that sneaks into your computer through pop-ups or adware. It attacks virtual memory and starts up a variety of processes while dialing up and downloading other malicious code from the net.
    www.geekstogo.com

Ahhhhhhhhhhh ....the VIRUS that caused the ICEMAN meltdown!....

Sorry,...i couldnt resist!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Why couldn't you wait to fix it til after the weekend so u wouldn't miss the Gathering?

Quote Originally Posted by lobster
    Why couldn't you wait to fix it til after the weekend so u wouldn't miss the Gathering?

Because I make my living on my computer and the damned virus shut me down cold. I've got a few deadlines that I am missing because of it. If I had gone to the Gathering anyhow, I wouldn't get back to productive work for a day or two longer and I'd be in deep kimchee.

Paying the mortgage trumps fun and games.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

The Gathering is more than fun and games. You have to set those priorities of yours a little better. Just kiddin'!

Images

Hey, we have no pop-ups here, so you can WhiteBlaze to your hearts content safely.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

++ New Posts ++