WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail Magic best, worst ?

What was the best trail magic you received this year or found along the trail ?

Well for the worst I’ll relate this though not exactly what you asked about: I was stealthing (or so I thought) but had hung my food in view of the trail. After dark I could faintly hear some guys talking and I heard something like “ what is that?” and another voice say, “that’s trail-magic right there!” , and then I heard shuffling around and it suddenly occurred to me that they were looking at my food hang. I busted out of my hidden tent in my underwear and shouted through the Rhodo in the gruffest voice I could muster :” hey that’s my food!”. I was answered by “sorry”. And they took off.

I’ll also add an encounter with a young fellow that stopped to ask me if I was a thru-hiker, when I said "no I’m out for the weekend" he looked crestfallen. I laughed and said “are you disappointed?” And he said “yeah, I’ve got trail magic and only have 7 left but it’s for thru-hikers”. I didn’t ask what he was giving out as he rather annoyed me.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

A sunset over alpine lakes. Great trail magic!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    A sunset over alpine lakes. Great trail magic!
    I was thinking camping at Guitar Lake and having it all to myself and watching the sun rise on top of Mt. Whitney, again having it all to myself...well.. except for a bunch of marmots.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    watching the sun rise on top of Mt. Whitney, again having it all to myself...well.. except for a bunch of marmots.
    Sounds VERY nice, Marmots are pesky critters!
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I don't remember the exact location as its been a long time.

But the very best trail magic I ever came across was during a very hot and dry section of the trail. Water sources were dried up and most of us were suffering for it. I came down into a gap and found over two dozen gallons of water just sitting there. I fell to my knees and quickly began rehydrating myself.

It was bliss.

Journal Entries

Among the best, hot tub, beer (and other intoxicating things), personal trail angel, something that can be stated as 'what happens on the trail stays on the trail'.

Among the worst a large, previously opened, container of peanut butter with a note saying 'help yor'self', and a flashing of saggy old lady hooters.
    Last edited by Starchild; 08-26-2014 at 15:08.

++ New Posts ++