WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default Hiking with BF(future husband) for first long hike

what should I expect?

We will be thru hiking the Ice Age Trial and I'm new to this. Have great enthusiasm, but also the usual doubts. Other than what he has told me so far, is here anything, especially the female hikers out here, that you can tell me?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

how much previous backpacking experience does your partner have?

Is this first long hike period? First backpacking trip? Or first long trip being done with a significant other for both of you?

That could make a difference.

If the person is new to backpacking, weekend trips to iron out gear and hiking style issues is probably an excellent idea. I know for my wife and I, it took us a while to get our system dialed in..and we are still working on it. She had previous backpacking trips under her belt, too.

If we had done a long hike together, AS OUR FIRST TRIP, much hilarity would happen. :O
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

how much previous backpacking experience does your partner have? 1000s of miles and several long hikes, some of which were thru hikes.

Is this first long hike period? First backpacking trip? Or first long trip being done with a significant other for both of you? Yes, Kindofsortof, yes.

A thru can be whatever you make it, just like any other hike. You can mot of the time make it as comfortable as you want it to be. If its rainging, you can take a zero, you can walk 25 miles a day, its really up to you what you make it. Rain, heat, humidity, too much food, not enough food too much food, mice, snow...imagine what the conditions are like outside for 24/7 1200 miles work which could be between 60-120 days of hiking, and put yorself in those conditions.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Whatever you do ... make sure you will be warm at all temps you expect - and then some!

My wife is brutally cold blooded, and if we didn't make our gear selections according to her needs, we would probably not have continued backpacking for the past 25 years here in the Cdn Rockies. Guys are generally more warm blooded than the gals, and are probably more prone to accept suffering if they didn't bring the proper gear for colder conditions. Make sure you think about your clothing & sleeping bag for your needs ... don't use same system the BF uses if you are somewhat cold-blooded compared to him.

Quote Originally Posted by BCPete View Post
    Whatever you do ... make sure you will be warm at all temps you expect - and then some!

My wife is brutally cold blooded, and if we didn't make our gear selections according to her needs, we would probably not have continued backpacking for the past 25 years here in the Cdn Rockies. Guys are generally more warm blooded than the gals, and are probably more prone to accept suffering if they didn't bring the proper gear for colder conditions. Make sure you think about your clothing & sleeping bag for your needs ... don't use same system the BF uses if you are somewhat cold-blooded compared to him.
    +1 on that
    Well said bcpete!
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

One thing for sure, you'll find out if you can live together 24/7 Have him take you out on some short hikes first, overnight to start. That will give you an idea of what to expect and find out if this is something you actually like to do.

BTW, did you highjack Different Socks account, who I'm guessing is your BF?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I live practically right on the IAT in South Central WI near Madison, so give me a shout if I can do anything to help! Are you going East to West?

Quote Originally Posted by BCPete View Post

This.

Also, it doesn't sound like you've done a lot of backpacking. You should be warned that there is a period of your body adjusting and that this period is usually pretty uncomfortable and sometimes painful. For many experienced hikers this period is far enough in the past that it has lost it's sharp edges and they consequently forget to mention it. I recommend you be mentally and emotionally prepared for this. It passes and backpacking becomes much more rewarding.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    One thing for sure, you'll find out if you can live together 24/7 Have him take you out on some short hikes first, overnight to start. That will give you an idea of what to expect and find out if this is something you actually like to do.

BTW, did you highjack Different Socks account, who I'm guessing is your BF?
    No, I just used his acct with his permission. It was idea to ask the question so I don't hear it all from him. And yes he is my BF, and though we have know each other for only 2 months, we match up well enough in many aspects of hobbies, interests, ideas and personality that we know we'd like to be married. He has already taken me on a wet dayhike which I thoroughly enjoyed b/c I like rain, and an overnight carrying my own loaded backpack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SpottedCow View Post
    I live practically right on the IAT in South Central WI near Madison, so give me a shout if I can do anything to help! Are you going East to West?
    Yes on the route choice b/c we wish to finish at St Croix Falls so we can then go do the Superior Hiking Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    what should I expect?

We will be thru hiking the Ice Age Trial and I'm new to this. Have great enthusiasm, but also the usual doubts. Other than what he has told me so far, is here anything, especially the female hikers out here, that you can tell me?
    Just be sure that you want to do this. That's a hell of a test for a relationship. Hikers tend to do things differently and at their own pace. On an adventure like this, all of the little things become big things, and there will be no other room to retreat to when you need some space.

I say this because my friend's brother did a thru of the AT for a honeymoon. At the end of the trail, they went their separate ways.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fadedsun View Post
    This.

Also, it doesn't sound like you've done a lot of backpacking. You should be warned that there is a period of your body adjusting and that this period is usually pretty uncomfortable and sometimes painful. For many experienced hikers this period is far enough in the past that it has lost it's sharp edges and they consequently forget to mention it. I recommend you be mentally and emotionally prepared for this. It passes and backpacking becomes much more rewarding.

No on backpacking. He plans to take me on shorter overnight hikes to get used to equip, gear, weight, clothing and all aspects of weather as well as tolerating each other's dirtiness, bad habits, body odor, flatulence, unappetizing foods and other things.

what should I expect?

What do you mean, like should you rub his feet at the end of the day, cook him dinner...make him rub his own damn feet and cook his own damn dinner, hehe If your to be married I'd nip that crap in the bud straight away.

DF knows what he's doin...your in good hands, have a great hike.

oops, that's Different socks, not DF

No on backpacking. He plans to take me on shorter overnight hikes to get used to equip, gear, weight, clothing and all aspects of weather as well as tolerating each other's dirtiness, bad habits, body odor, flatulence, unappetizing foods and other things.
    The shorter hikes first is an excellent idea. I did this also before I did my first long-distance. It prepared me in many ways. It did not prepare my body for the day-in/day-out stresses of long-distance hiking. It might be fun to start a thread soliciting stories of pains and tribulations experienced when folks were brand-new to backpacking. I'm sure most of these stories will end "and it was all worth it."

Yes on the route choice b/c we wish to finish at St Croix Falls so we can then go do the Superior Hiking Trail.
    Nice! You will definitely enjoy the SHT. It's awesome. I hope you are prepared for a lot of road walking on the IAT.

The first thing you should do is open your own account. Then if things don't work out (or if they so) you can report back to us.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

...and though we have know each other for only 2 months
    : grabs popcorn :

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++