WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I think I need a bigger pack.

I bought a ULA Ohm last year. I love the pack. But my son and I have switched to hammocks. He is 5, so he usually only carries his clothes, rain gear, water, and snacks. So now I need to carry 2 hammocks, 2 underquilts, 2 top quilts, plus my gear. Base weight is around 16lbs, just a lot of bulk. The 4 quilts and 2 hammocks pretty much take up the main body of my pack, leaving only the collar and outside pockets for our food and my gear. I don't have the income for another pack really, so I think I would need to trade my Ohm 2.0 for a bigger pack. Maybe the catalyst or mariposa? Most of my trips are with him. I only do 1-2 weekends a year solo. I'm guessing it will be at least 5-6 years before he is carrying a lot of his own gear. Just looking for advice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nastynate View Post
    I bought a ULA Ohm last year. I love the pack. But my son and I have switched to hammocks. He is 5, so he usually only carries his clothes, rain gear, water, and snacks. So now I need to carry 2 hammocks, 2 underquilts, 2 top quilts, plus my gear. Base weight is around 16lbs, just a lot of bulk. The 4 quilts and 2 hammocks pretty much take up the main body of my pack, leaving only the collar and outside pockets for our food and my gear. I don't have the income for another pack really, so I think I would need to trade my Ohm 2.0 for a bigger pack. Maybe the catalyst or mariposa? Most of my trips are with him. I only do 1-2 weekends a year solo. I'm guessing it will be at least 5-6 years before he is carrying a lot of his own gear. Just looking for advice.
    Besides the buy/sell gear here on WB, you can also check Backpacking Gear Flea Market (FBook). Maybe find good deal on a larger pack. That does sound like a large (vol) for the Ohm. After all is loaded and said and done.

Images

considered a front pack for extra gear?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Unless you're hammocking in winter ditch the UQuilts. Use insulating 3/4 pad instead .

Buy a used pack here.or sell the Ohm using the money to buy another ULA.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Yeah, you're gonna need a bigger pack

When my kid was little I used a Gregory Shasta, all 6 pounds and 6000 cubic inches of it. I think these days a Catalyst would be fine.

+1 on a 3/4 length CCF pad for summer hammocking.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Yeah, you're gonna need a bigger pack

When my kid was little I used a Gregory Shasta, all 6 pounds and 6000 cubic inches of it. I think these days a Catalyst would be fine.

+1 on a 3/4 length CCF pad for summer hammocking.
    . I don't see two 3/4 inch ccf pads helping with bulk.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    . I don't see two 3/4 inch ccf pads helping with bulk.
    CCF pads can be straped outside the pack.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    CCF pads can be straped outside the pack.
    Exactly what I was going to say, and let me add that the kid can carry his own, reducing bulk for dad.

My daughter carried her pad, a fleece sweater, rain shell, water bottle, some snacks, and a stuffed animal when she first starting backpacking at age 4. Total weight maybe 4 or 5 pounds in a tiny pack. Pretty cute, actually. As she grew up she started carrying her sleeping bag, spare clothing, etc.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Let's just go off the assumption that we will be using the underquilts. I've done the pad thing. It's not happening. I guess another option would be a $25 craigslist external frame. I'm really thinking that giving up the 1.5 pound pack weight penalty for a nice Catalyst, Mariposa, or similar would be the most benefit. I could be wrong though. Anyone know how well a Catalyst compresses with a small gear list for those few solo trips?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nastynate View Post
    Let's just go off the assumption that we will be using the underquilts. I've done the pad thing. It's not happening. I guess another option would be a $25 craigslist external frame. I'm really thinking that giving up the 1.5 pound pack weight penalty for a nice Catalyst, Mariposa, or similar would be the most benefit. I could be wrong though. Anyone know how well a Catalyst compresses with a small gear list for those few solo trips?
    Can't speak for the Catalyst but my Ohm can be shock corded down. Have over a thousand miles on a Mariposa (generation 2) this pack is very compressible if need be. I have carried both winter/summer loads in the Mariposa.

Images

Why not get him a bigger pack and give him the underquilts? They're not heavy, but bulky, it would be a lot cheaper, he'll need a bigger pack soon anyway.

Can you fit all of your gear inside the pack you have without attaching anything to the outside, if yes you don't need a bigger pack, if no you need a bigger pack.

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    Why not get him a bigger pack and give him the underquilts? They're not heavy, but bulky, it would be a lot cheaper, he'll need a bigger pack soon anyway.
    +1 He will feel rewarded by carrying a big pack and eventually when you have to carry his pack it will be easy to manage.

Since you like the Ohm, may I suggest you look at the Epic pack they make. It uses interchangeable dry bags...one pack, your choice of size for packing.

I use the 65L for single carries on canoe trips but if all my fellow trippers are double carrying (they all take too much stuff...), I can easily switch to a pair of 35s and double carry along with them.

I think I'll pick up a compression sack and let him carry his quilts and hammock. Even with his rain gear, water, and jacket he should be under 7 lbs total.

Images

I went thru six packs before I settled on the GG VC 60. Just 34 oz. and everything fits for a full three season. There are so many trade offs in backpacking, ultimately its what works for you.

++ New Posts ++