WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default SOBO start dates

I've mentioned that I wanted to hike the CDT over a 2 year period, hiking approximately 50% each year. Mags and other feedback I've received have suggested starting at GNP in mid-July and ending in Rawlins, WY.

I'd like to set a hard date now that I can plan around and from the reading I've done thus far snow can still be an issue in mid-July.

How does August 1st sound? I know from hiking the PCT that even a short time like 2 weeks can make a huge difference in snow levels.

I want to avoid planning around a date in mid-July and then having to change it at the last minute. I'd rather just plan to start a bit later from the beginning.

If the snow isn't gone by August 1, either grin & bear it or wait until next year. This year was about as bad as it gets in GNP. What were conditions like on July 15 and August 1? That is a good comparison.
    Yellowstone NP starts shutting down after Labor Day. The exact schedule is online. This only affects resupply, rooms, showers and cafés. You can still hike the backcountry.
    Weather & schedule permitting, I would go as far south as possible. Steamboat Springs maybe?
    Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I would start earlier. Many years in August you'll have heat and fires to deal with in Montana, and possible trail closures because of the fires. In a dry year, some of the springs and cow troughs may be dry. That is not usually an issue in July. Most of the lingering snow in July is intermittent, not continuous, and provides much needed water for hikers. By mid-September you will be running into Autumn snow. On our SOBO hike we had our first snow Labor Day weekend and we had 4 more after that. It will also be cold at high elevations, especially at night.

Thanks guys...

Maybe I should reframe the question... When would it be possible to set a hard date to start SOBO with the goal being not having to deal with snow issues.

By snow issues I mean postholing for long distances, not being able to find the trail, etc.

Don't just consider snow at the start in Glacier. There is a good chance of snow in the Wind Rivers in October. In most years, July 15 would be perfect to "thread the needle" weather-wise. One nice thing about hitting the Winds in the fall is that the biting insects are usually gone by then.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Don't just consider snow at the start in Glacier. There is a good chance of snow in the Wind Rivers in October. In most years, July 15 would be perfect to "thread the needle" weather-wise. One nice thing about hitting the Winds in the fall is that the biting insects are usually gone by then.
    Good to know, thanks.

Starting July 15th, averaging 20 mile days would put an arrival date in Rawlins of September 22nd/23rd.

Both myself and the hiker I'm hoping joins me averaged over 20 mpd on the PCT this summer (I averaged 22.1, hiking the PCT just shy of 4 months) so that works.

At what point in the year can you determine that July 15th is a go for a start date?

Pick a date. Stick to it. Be prepared to hike or hitch around deep snow or even deeper, faster, unbridged streams. That is what folks did this year in GNP.
    Or...
    Hike NOBO. Finish Sept 1, more or less. Finishing the CDT in GNP the last week of August/first week of September seems like the most prudent way to do it.

If the CDT was easy, the AT and PCT would not be so crowded.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post

If the CDT was easy, the AT and PCT would not be so crowded.
    touché

Images

July 15th should be good. There will probably still be some snow in Glacier, but nothing intense. All the bridges should be installed in the Park. The water crossings shouldn't be horrible. Mid-July is frequently the height of mosquito season, so prepare for that.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Fall in the Winds is awesome.

If you haven't guessed, 10k, hiking the CDT is series of compromises. July 15th will indeed be the height of mosquito season. But, better than postholing....in the Winds OR Glacier.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I'm up for it, yes I am!

I just want to stack as many odds for the hike as possible in my favor.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I have no doubt you are up for it! Personally, I can't wait until you get to Colorado so I can buy you a burger or pizza.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I have no doubt you are up for it! Personally, I can't wait until you get to Colorado so I can buy you a burger or pizza.
    Burger AND pizza! With a micro-brew thrown in.

In the meantime, my old bones are telling me that the GDMBR in chunks may be right for me. With lots of day hikes/overnighters on foot along the way.

All the best to you 10K!

Wayne
    2016: Looking at Houston in the rear view mirror!

Not that I need motivating but a pizza with Mags and Wayne would be pretty awesome.

Images

10K, have you considered going nobo from Rawlins or Steamboat. You can get to both from Denver via Greyhound. When I set out from a bit south of Steamboat on Jul6 4, 2011, a high snow, I found the going over 10 ft of consolidated snow north of Rabbit Ears Pass too slow and bailed down from Buffalo Pass to Steamboat. I then resumed hiking from Rawlins and found the Winds, Yellowstone, etc. OK. I made it to MacDonald Pass near Helena just before Labor Day and only bailed there because I knew I wouldn't be finishing before they closed the border at Chief Mt. There was snow (and lots of mosquitoes) in the Winds along with high, fast, and deep fords in the Teton Wilderness north of Brooks Lake, but I was able to get through.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Not that I need motivating but a pizza with Mags and Wayne would be pretty awesome.
    The next time we visit Boone, I reckon we could make it happen. If you aren't on some trail somewhere.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    10K, have you considered going nobo from Rawlins or Steamboat. You can get to both from Denver via Greyhound. When I set out from a bit south of Steamboat on Jul6 4, 2011, a high snow, I found the going over 10 ft of consolidated snow north of Rabbit Ears Pass too slow and bailed down from Buffalo Pass to Steamboat. I then resumed hiking from Rawlins and found the Winds, Yellowstone, etc. OK. I made it to MacDonald Pass near Helena just before Labor Day and only bailed there because I knew I wouldn't be finishing before they closed the border at Chief Mt. There was snow (and lots of mosquitoes) in the Winds along with high, fast, and deep fords in the Teton Wilderness north of Brooks Lake, but I was able to get through.
    I'm going to start a new thread about this - I was actually thinking the same thing!

++ New Posts ++