WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hammock Camping with Dog?

Howdy, I'm going on a 4 day hike in a couple weeks on the AT and I'm a little nervous for my dog because this will be the first time hammock camping with her.

Usually we camp in a tent over night and she sleeps well in the tent with me. This time I'll guess she'll be under me? The only real concern I have is at night she could see 'everything'. So if a bear or a coyote wanders into our camp in the middle of the night.....

Am I over thinking this or is it a non-issue? I'd appreciate anybody with experience leaving their dogs out over night giving some input. Thank you!
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Might want to try a hang in the backyard, or someplace close to home. Wouldn't want to have to end your trip after the first miserable night.

How big is your dog? Maybe throw her in the hammock with you?

She's a little too big for the hammock. Plus I don't want her to accidentally tear the fabric with her nails.

I already know the hammock is comfortable for me, I'm not sure about sleeping overnight in it but I'm mostly concerned for her seeing the local wildlife. Black bear seem to be out in full swing the past month.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

If that's not feasible, maybe bringing a decent hunk of rope & tying her to one of the trees you're hanging on.

A 6ft leash wouldn't give her much leeway, buy maybe 25-30ft would do the trick.

Don't forget, shell want something to sleep on as well. I know a few dog companies make backpacking dogpads. If you go that route, again, have her get used to it at home beforehand.

I liked tying a long lead to my hammock's ridge line. It let Hester roam a little and would wake me up if something really got her worked up.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

AT 2012

I went hiking with my two grand dogs and was terrified that one of them would accidentally rip my hammock when saying hello. ...lots at stake, there. I sure didn't want to end up sleeping on ten ground, too!
    Lazarus

I agree that you should both practice hammock camping at home and then move on to overnight trips out in the wild.
    Personally I would tie the dog to a tree and have it lay down beneath me, on its own pad, using the cover of the hammock fly. Once you understand how he/she responds to nearby noise and activity, you will become alert to the dog's signals if something abnormal is going on with the dog.

There are hammock campers that hike with their dogs. It is doable whether the dog sleeps inside with you or on the ground by itself. Practice until the dog is ready, not when you are. Consider an XL hammock fly (or additional dog fly), sleeping pad durability, and a canine jacket if the dog isn't bred to withstand cold temperatures.

Happy trails.

I tent... But use the ruff wear fleece for my lil jack Russell seems to work well with my cut down zlite dog/ sit pad...during winter he gets my montbell ul down parka and my rain shell as he gets cold easily..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

my dog has over 100 nights on trails with me. i feel if you can't protect your dog from the same elements that you are, you should not take them. my pup (110 lb. lab) sleeps in the hammock (custom made for me and dog) if she wants. if on the ground the tarp sided are all the way to the ground with doors closed. my hammock is hung 12" off the ground. this way if she sits up she can see im still there and goes back to sleep. she has her leach on and the other end is on my wrist. no, she will not just jump and run

if you have hammocked often you know how unprotected it is under hammock if sides are not all the way down. wind driven rain, fog and leaves. i have had streams form below me in bad storms.

i tarp tented with here as a pup to get her used to being out all night. i do not hike with her in bug season. we both hate bugs.

Kaia was the first pet to camp in the Wharton Track in NJ and the first to hike and camp the Batona trail. since the test period over 2 thirds of the camps are now open to pets.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Buddy sleeps on his pad next to the hammock. I clip his leash to the tarp ridgeline at night so he can move around some but not go chasing after furry little camp visitors.

Journal Entries

Dogs should not be on a public hiking trail because you risk exposing other hikers and animals to your dog But that being said I suggest you simulate your sleeping arrangements in a controlled environment first just to see how she reacts and make sure she is trail ready, it is the responsible thing to do and that will help other hikers with dogs

One day dogs will rule the world

Well perhaps not
    Last edited by Starchild; 09-02-2014 at 13:40.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Ply View Post
    Buddy sleeps on his pad next to the hammock. I clip his leash to the tarp ridgeline at night so he can move around some but not go chasing after furry little camp visitors.

Does he have a sleeping bag?

I appreciate the feedback. I think I'll take the advice to tie a long "leash" (15-20ft paracord) to the ridge line in case something riles her in the morning. I'm also going to keep a bell on her collar for my peace of mind and hang the hammock low.

I also use a small red flashing light that clips on collar for night hiking or at camp before in the tent...really helps keep track of him at night...made by nightize less than $7...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by simeo View Post
    I appreciate the feedback. I think I'll take the advice to tie a long "leash" (15-20ft paracord) to the ridge line in case something riles her in the morning. I'm also going to keep a bell on her collar for my peace of mind and hang the hammock low.
    try to keep the tieout not so long that it can get tangled in tarp tieouts. can make for a long night.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Yes he has a sleeping bag. It's an infant bag from Kelty. Sleeps on top in warmer weather and tucked inside when it gets cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Dogs should not be on a public hiking trail because you risk exposing other hikers and animals to your dog But that being said I suggest you simulate your sleeping arrangements in a controlled environment first just to see how she reacts and make sure she is trail ready, it is the responsible thing to do and that will help other hikers with dogs

One day dogs will rule the world

Well perhaps not
    "Exposing!?" I didn't know they were contagious...

SusanLeo

Quote Originally Posted by simeo View Post
    Howdy, I'm going on a 4 day hike in a couple weeks on the AT and I'm a little nervous for my dog because this will be the first time hammock camping with her.

Usually we camp in a tent over night and she sleeps well in the tent with me. This time I'll guess she'll be under me? The only real concern I have is at night she could see 'everything'. So if a bear or a coyote wanders into our camp in the middle of the night.....

Am I over thinking this or is it a non-issue? I'd appreciate anybody with experience leaving their dogs out over night giving some input. Thank you!
    Hello Simeo,
    I think you should read this article. It is very details: How to Make Hammock Camping with a Dog Easier
    Last edited by SusanLeo; 11-29-2017 at 22:11.

Idk if I missed what kind of dog you have but paracord might be to thin? I have a bigger dog and use climbing rope and a carabiner. It’s 10ft so It tucks into his bag when he’s off leash, but I can have full control of him when using it. Put a knot in it so I can heel him close to me if need be. 10 feet seems fine around camp, of course he’d love 30.

++ New Posts ++