WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I like the stowablity on adjustables, however the twist lock ones I'll never buy again, had one freeze up and then just spun, and wouldn't tighten...ended up placing a cotter pin to hold it fast.....lever locks on the next pair.

Journal Entries

Adjustable, 3 piece for stowability.

I just took a hickory pole on an 11 mile hike and really got tired of carrying that thang!

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    ...trekking poles are meant more for balance and low-level support than crutches that should support your full body weight - no matter how much you weigh.
    I agree with that and I'd add "propulsion" to the list. Ask any Nordic skier.

I've used adjustable poles, mainly for skiing, for many years and have used a few different types of locking mechanisms. The Black Diamond flick-lock is the best I've used and requires very little maintenance/adjustment. Sure, they can slip especially if you don't do that little bit of maintenance/adjustment.

I would never trust my life repeatedly to any little plastic and sheet metal joint. Nor to any small tubular section of any material.

Solid poles are certainly stronger and probably cheaper. but obviously less flexible in use. Every design is a compromise.

Another advantage of adjustable poles is hitching--you look less threatening and easier to load up if you don't have long, sharp sticks with you.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

The following free advice may be worth what you paid for it:go cut 2 bamboo poles,let them dry in the garage a few weeks, then harden them with a propane torch. I drilled a small hole into each joint to let the air out so it wouldn't explode then set the propane torch to a low power flame and heated the poles.They are great! How much weight will they hold? dunno.But it's a whole lot more strength than anything else on the trail!Last friday we used them to improvise a stretcher!I've only taken them out on the AT twice-50 miles and 52 miles-but they have saved me from being the AT involuntary cartwheel champion.My poles are about 6' & 1 3/4' diameter.I put tire tube cover on the ends to keep them from wearing down or skidding.I'm learning as I get ready for March 2,2015. God bless!

Images

I use Wallyword hiking poles. Have not had a set break on me. After the twist tightening device wears out I use some self taping screws to make them a fixed length. The only time I had a problem is when someone stepped on a pole and bent it. Made toggles for my hammock suspension out of it.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

I use Leki Carbonlite 3 section poles,they weigh in at 7.1oz each.They are rated for 300lbs each
    With Leki poles,you get their Lifetime warranty,buy all that does come at a price $$$

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rock steady View Post
    The following free advice may be worth what you paid for it:go cut 2 bamboo poles,let them dry in the garage a few weeks, then harden them with a propane torch. I drilled a small hole into each joint to let the air out so it wouldn't explode then set the propane torch to a low power flame and heated the poles.They are great! How much weight will they hold? dunno.But it's a whole lot more strength than anything else on the trail!Last friday we used them to improvise a stretcher!I've only taken them out on the AT twice-50 miles and 52 miles-but they have saved me from being the AT involuntary cartwheel champion.My poles are about 6' & 1 3/4' diameter.I put tire tube cover on the ends to keep them from wearing down or skidding.I'm learning as I get ready for March 2,2015. God bless!
    Last June, I cut several lengths of bamboo. Instead of the propane torch method, I just left them in the garage to cure. These are MUCH lighter than my rake handle and even somewhat lighter than my natural stick, even at 6' or so.

Last weekend, I started to shape them. I have the pair I am really wanting to use and several other lengths to play with. I'm looking at scuffing up the hand grip area with sandpaper to help with gripping or getting bicycle handle bar grips.

Not sure what a "tire tube cover" is, but I use the smaller diameter crutch tips on my sticks.

Are you going to polyurethane them? Maybe Thompson's water seal? I wonder what would happen if you just put the lower 12-16 inches in a container of the water seal.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I have not used pacer poles so I guess my opinion is not really that relevant but...
    after 2 other pole set ups( REI Carbon-so,so light) and (MountainSmith-so,so heavy)I now use the Leki corklite antishock adjustable poles and I really like them. (2.5 years) They have slipped on occasion but nothing that a quick twist couldn't fix. I find that with the straps adjusted properly they work very well for ascending and descending depending on where you grip the handles; top or center. I LOVE the antishock feature when hiking; I also use one pole for my shelter and I have found the antishock helpful to take a little stress off my shelter in gusty conditions.
    +2 for Leki

I went through a few sets of adjustable poles and all had issues with the locking mechanisms.. Either failures or noisy as heck.

Reluctantly, I bought a set of Black Diamond fixed length Z-Poles. They can't be adjusted, but they can be broken down into three short teathered sections that can easily be stowed. I have a few seasons on them and to be frank, I love them. Never felt shorted that I can't adjust the length and never felt there was any chance they weren't going to support my full weight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++