WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

ATConquered was the name of our video series. What I have learned on the trail is everyone's experience is different and if someone feels they conquered, finished, experienced, hiked, accomplished, or any other word for that matter of the trail then that is what it is to them. We completed our trail after sprained ankles, torn ligaments, bartonella and Lyme disease. We conquered challenges and conquered adversity. To us this is the term we use. And it is very special to me. I think the people nit picking this word are thinking of it in a much darker light. The trail is a fun, exciting, liberating, exhausting, unique battle/journey. Also thank you to everyone who has cheered us on an supported us. Your kind words inspired us and always helped us push on. We love you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the AT. "conquered". it ain't that tough
    I directly disagree with this comment. The trail is different for everyone. Even Andrew Skurka admits the AT was challenging and a huge "learning curve" for him as a first thru. If it wasn't challenging the success rate would be much higher.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

i stand by my statement

I never enjoyed hearing people use the word "conquer" or "conquered" when talking about the A.T. It would seem to imply an adversarial situation existed Trail and hiker, one, in fact, where the Trail was an enemy, something to be dealt with, beaten and vanquished. Speaking entirely for myself, I never viewed the Trail this way. Was the Trail challenging? Absolutely. Did it exhaust me, test me, and sometimes badly injure me? Absolutely. But did I feel it needed to be bested, put in its place, or "conquered?" No. But maybe that's just me.

The main reason I got on hear was to inform people who had been following us on that we had finished. I do not really care if the simple word conquered gets taken out of context. If your wish is to nit pick any word in a title then fine you opinions is your. Just like using that word is my right. I wont change it. The AT is what it is to me and lone wolf and Jack you both may of hiked the trail but we have also therefore we have the right to define or talk about it in our own way. If you would like to talk about experiences of the trail or trail stories I'm game but if you are going to troll on whiteblaze and nit pick everyword then I will make this my last comment to you.

ratherclimbin' : We get that your use of the word is deliberate, and in that case it says something about you. It's not nitpicking, because the word in question is loaded with meanings and connotations... not all of them positive.

If said in jest and with a smile among friends around a campfire, it might be different. Jan and Clyde, on reaching many peaks on the LT, would shout, "Tell the Queen!" We all know what you're getting at.

I am glad you had a wonderful hike and allowed us to experience it with your video posts. You are a cute couple and always seem so cheerful. HYOH, you conquered the trail for sure.

Nit pickers be damned. It's why I have a love/hate relationship with WB. Trail lovers also need to feel the love on the forums, unfortunately that doesn't happen as much as it should....
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    you conquered the trail for sure.
    umm, no. he walked a footpath on vacation

Attilla the Hun was a conquerer. Why use a word with obvious warlike connotations in the same sentence as the AT?

So your idea of trail conquering may be a walk to the moon. The guy who lives next door to me may very well pee his pants in joy over making it to the mailbox without having to stop a couple of times.

We have forgotten that everyone hikes their own hike and celebrates accomplishments as they see fit. Why rain on someone's parade at the zenith of a major accomplishment in their life? Don't post if you want to be a Debbie Downer.
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Conquer? Let's let Merriam Webster Dictionary define:
    : to gain control of (a problem or difficulty) through great effort
    : to gain mastery over or win by overcoming obstacles or opposition <conquered the mountain>

How about the Oxford Dictioary
    1.2Climb(a mountain) successfully: the second American to conquer Everest

I'm sure there are many other dictionaries that say the same thing. So, can one conquer the AT? Duh, yes, absolutely.

^^ You conveniently omitted:

: to take control of (a country, city, etc.) through the use of force
    : to defeat (someone or something) through the use of force

Journal Entries

Any conquering on the AT, happens within ones self.

IMO that is.

Images

[QUOTE=MuddyWaters;1914356]Any conquering on the AT, happens within ones self.

IMO that is.[/QUOTE/]

Ain't that the truth, it comes from inside.

Journal Entries
    Images

Agree with Baltimore Jack, July, & Lonewolf.
    However, in full disclosure I've never done the trail from Top to Bottom or Bottom to top all at once.
    Never had that much time off in a row.
    I do not think the intent of Jack, David, or July was to belittle. Only an expression of their love for the trail.
    Last edited by lemon b; 10-13-2014 at 20:45.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbclimbin View Post
    ATConquered was the name of our video series. What I have learned on the trail is everyone's experience is different and if someone feels they conquered, finished, experienced, hiked, accomplished, or any other word for that matter of the trail then that is what it is to them. We completed our trail after sprained ankles, torn ligaments, bartonella and Lyme disease. We conquered challenges and conquered adversity. To us this is the term we use. And it is very special to me. I think the people nit picking this word are thinking of it in a much darker light. The trail is a fun, exciting, liberating, exhausting, unique battle/journey. Also thank you to everyone who has cheered us on an supported us. Your kind words inspired us and always helped us push on. We love you all.
    Ya, I think many have taken the term "conquered" too literal. If you are even remotely capable of abstract thought you should understand what the poster intended (without this clarifying post).
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

LOL no not vacation. Hiking is something I do constantly. My wife and I are extremely.active in Colorado and we are planning another thru hike as soon as I heal from bartonella that I got on he trail. Lone wolf let me ask you why you are so high and mighty. I can on here to be positive and to hopefully let people enjoy the videos we created and possibly share some trail experiences. Instead people like you attack and tear apart what could've been a decent conversation because of one word. Its a shame that you can pass judgement on someone that you know nothing about. This ends my correspondence on this thread.

Lone wolf let me ask you why you are so high and mighty. Its a shame that you can pass judgement on someone that you know nothing about.
    just sayin' a footpath in the wilderness is nothing to be conquered. it's just walkin'

Congrats on the completion of your hike.

And thank you WB for keeping me laughing. This place is a hoot.

The main reason I got on hear was to inform people who had been following us on that we had finished. I do not really care if the simple word conquered gets taken out of context. If your wish is to nit pick any word in a title then fine you opinions is your. Just like using that word is my right. I wont change it. The AT is what it is to me and lone wolf and Jack you both may of hiked the trail but we have also therefore we have the right to define or talk about it in our own way. If you would like to talk about experiences of the trail or trail stories I'm game but if you are going to troll on whiteblaze and nit pick everyword then I will make this my last comment to you.
    I TOTALLY agree with this statement, Theirs some folks on WB not mentioning any names ( PUN PUN ) that thinks their the voice of LAW when it comes to the AT or WB I just wished that these unmentioned folks would leave their overwhelming EGO's at home and come back to reality with the rest of us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++