WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NY NJ Hunting Season

Just a heads up to the NY and NJ hikers that hunting season is upon us. NY has an early bear hunting season that begins this Saturday, September 6th. The NYNJ Trail Conference site has a nice compilation of dates and locations here for the 2014 hunting season. They are recommending that hikers wear blaze orange and stick to non-hunting areas if possible. (I tend to agree. I don't trust each and every hunter to know, obey, or even care about the rules - and it only takes one...) They have a list of the top ten non-hunting hike areas here.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Not a lot of controversial content to start a flame war over. I take no position for/against hunting. And while I'm sure there are lots of responsible hunters out there, it would be foolish to believe that its 100%. It would also be foolish to believe that the best intention and preparation on the part of hunters and hikers will preclude accidents. I choose to avoid hunting areas during hunting season. For hikers that feel the same, the NYNJ Trail Conference offers suggested areas. For hikers that don't, its a reminder to wear blaze orange during hunting season, which starts in NY this weekend. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by Offshore; 09-04-2014 at 13:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Just a heads up to the NY and NJ hikers that hunting season is upon us. NY has an early bear hunting season that begins this Saturday, September 6th. The NYNJ Trail Conference site has a nice compilation of dates and locations here for the 2014 hunting season. They are recommending that hikers wear blaze orange and stick to non-hunting areas if possible. (I tend to agree. I don't trust each and every hunter to know, obey, or even care about the rules - and it only takes one...) They have a list of the top ten non-hunting hike areas here.
    Not a bad idea, and I'm sure the hunters wouldn't mind having some woods to themselves as well, though foot traffic is known to push/drive wildlife...either way, do be careful out there, accidents do happen.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I worry for about the first fifteen minutes from a trailhead. Beyond that, I'm generally farther into the woods than anyone wants to lug a deer, to say nothing of a bear,

But of course, I rock the orange.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Several years ago, during hunting season, I took a day hike on the AT near Pawling, just a quick in-and-out. Never again. Almost everyone I met was armed, including the guy who took care of the nearby shelter (I forget which one. As the day wore on, the fog rolled in, and it was getting darker. As I was nearing my car, I met a hunter in full camo and face paint who asked me if I had seen a deer he had shot. He warned me that his buddy was several yards down the trail, in a tree. Normally I don't make a lot of noise when I walk in the woods, but that time I did. It wasn't a pleasant hike at all, though everyone I met was courteous and not reckless.

Images

Regarding the AT in particular, isn't it a federally-protected corridor for hiking and something like a mile wide of protected woods around it? While I'm more prepared for this sort of thing on other local trail systems, I'd be alarmed to see anyone armed and in hunting gear coming down the trail or just off trail staked out in the woods. I'm often on the AT, and with my kids. Of course it's always wise to be in visible colors, for many reasons. If culling is necessary in areas around the trail, then maybe each of those sections should be closed to hikers for a period of a week or two each year (post-thru-hiking season) for 'maintenance' so there's no risk of accidents. Many local trails are closed for nesting birds or things like that each year. Not a big deal - just hike a different trail/section then. I certainly don't want to run into bears or bobcats, so I appreciate the need for keeping the population under control. But I'd argue that a reckless hunter is a far greater threat.

Quote Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
    Regarding the AT in particular, isn't it a federally-protected corridor for hiking and something like a mile wide of protected woods around it?
    Hunting is permitted along about half of the AT. According to the ATC:

Hunting regulations vary widely along the Appalachian Trail. Although the A.T. is a unit of the National Park system, it traverses many different types of public lands—including parks, forests, refuges, and game lands.

Hunting—with the proper state licenses—is PERMITTED along approximately 1,250 miles of the Appalachian Trail through national forest lands, national recreation areas, and on state forests and game lands. Although a concerted effort is made to identify land types on official A.T. maps, it is seldom easy while on the footpath in several states to determine which jurisdiction you are walking through, except at boundary signs. Both hikers and hunters are advised to “know before you go.”

Hunting is PROHIBITED along approximately 900 miles of the Trail through national parks (like Shenandoah and the Great Smoky Mountains), most state parks, and on lands acquired by the National Park Service (NPS) exclusively for the Appalachian Trail and still under NPS administration—indicated on the outside edges by A.T. corridor boundary signs. Hikers should be aware that the protected corridor is often narrow, averaging about 1,000 feet wide.

Even in areas where hunting is prohibited, hunters on adjacent lands may not know that they are near the Trail. Hunters may inadvertently cross onto Trail lands or unknowingly fire toward the Trail.

Images

Thanks for clarifying. Guess I'm not all that surprised. On the upside, you don't hear much about the accidents so you're probably at less risk than say crossing the street in the city...

I hunt along the AT in NJ. Have since 1976. I have even hiked in from RT 80 to the backpacker's site the Sunday before deer season and overnighted several times, then end up at Worthington campground at days end on Monday, as I will do this year. I have seen plenty of hikers, hunters, and scouts and never an issue or problem. I am armed, hairy, and orange. I put on around 50 miles per season. I am always cordial, have a smile, and have given direction to those who have lost there way, or a bottle of water to those that look thirsty. If your real nice I may even share some of my venison jerky. I wont ask you if you have seen any game, but will send you in the direction of any thing I may have seen if you are interested.

The truth is I'm hiking as well!

RUNT ''13''

Quote Originally Posted by runt13 View Post
    The truth is I'm hiking as well!

RUNT ''13''
    Well said - with a little courtesy and common sense, we can all enjoy the outdoors. (My blaze orange swag arrived today)

Images

i wear orange and my dog an orange coat. met many a hunters, never a problem.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Just to put it out there, if your hiking in or around sunfish pond, DWG, Worthington forest Thanksgiving weekend or during deer / bear season I will be in site no 50. Never know when you may need a warm place to get the chill off, or to get some food, fires always going after dark, and there's always extra food.

RUNT ''13''

Just a reminder, this Saturday small game season opens in NJ. Please wear your orange.

RUNT ''13''

++ New Posts ++