Wink bras that are light but support

I could use some ideas on this one. It seems like all the bras I look at for hiking, with enough support, are either sports bras that are heavy or ones with lots of layers so that once they get wet they stay wet (for days). I use body glide to help with the chaffing but would really like to not have to put a wet bra on in the morning or have it weigh more than my tent. Any suggestions ladies. I am 53 and therefore need the support.

Journal Entries

I'm 54, and I understand the issue. Unfortunately I have not found a product that does what you describe. The best strategy I've come up with is to hike in a fully supportive underwire and sleep in a comfy sports bra (or no bra). Each morning I put on the sweaty damp underwire from the day before, but even a clean dry bra will be wet with sweat in a short time on the trail.

There's another thread addressing this topic...
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...Search-Is-Over

Not sure how much support you need. Or how much lining/padding in the cup area you will need. If the latter is a concern, then drying will always be an issue because the padded cups will really soak up a lot of moisture.

These are the bras that I routinely use for backpacking and hiking. I find them supportive while moving and they dry quickly:
    http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...302148.3693440

When I backpacked the Chilkoot, this is the ONLY bra I used for the 5 days and I had no issues with it at all. It dried super quickly -- usually, while I was still wearing it around camp at the end of the day -- and was supportive for hiking. Again, no lining or cups, but they also make wired versions of it, same material, if you need extra supprt:

http://www.jcpenney.com/lingerie-paj...ncharset=UTF-8
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Thanks for the links QHShowoman. The links are helpful

Depends on your bust size and the level of support you feel is adequate. Some women will be able to go UL in this department... others, not so much. Good luck in your search.

I hate bras.
    Is hiking braless pretty common?

I've had good luck with this bra. http://www.amazon.com/Glamorise-Wome...rds=sports+bra

1. It dries faster than most sports bras. Although, putting a wet bra on in the morning is only bad for a few minutes.
    2. It's reasonably priced.
    3. Fits and feels like my other "normal" bras. Your mileage may vary.
    4. It fastens in the back, so it is easy to take off. Nothing worse than trying to get a sweaty or wet bra off over the head.
    5. I think that it weighs the same as a bra. I don't carry spare bras. Just the one on my body... so I don't worry too much about the weight.
    6. I've swam in it and not worried about it looking like I'm swimming in my underwear. Although, I have gone swimming in my underwear and nobody died of the horror. You actually don't need some kind of special bra for backpacking... It is pretty much just walking and whatever bra you'd walk down the street in will work.

My sister wears this bra backpacking.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bali-Womens-Co...3&keywords=bra
    I tried it but it wasn't comfortable for me.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by twistwrist View Post
    I hate bras.
    I've only seen a few women that were obviously not wearing a bra. I tried it about 2 months ago and it was amazingly comfortable. I haven't hiked in one since. The lack of padding under my shoulder straps is the only thing I noticed and thought I might get chafed but haven't had any issues.

Images

I'll just duck in here long enough to mention that my wife finds this sort of thing in the Title Nine Catalog, which she absolutely loves.

Bye
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I'll just duck in here long enough to mention that my wife finds this sort of thing in the Title Nine Catalog, which she absolutely loves.

Bye
    Thank you, I haven't seen that before. I've already found a few things I really like.

I started off with fancy patagonia ones and then switched to the thin strap target ones..Champion makes them I believe. I'm a c cup and they support me just fine and they dry pretty quickly. They are pretty much the only bras I wear anymore. And they are reversible!! so it's like getting 2 bras in one...
    http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champi...#prodSlot=_1_5
    This is my one small step, this is my walk on the moon! ~Great Big Sea

I jog in Title Nine Bras because the girls don't move a millimeter in that tight corset of torture and pain. But to hike for hours and days is a different story. The T9 Bras take days to dry out.

I love wool for all my clothes because it dries easily and no stink factor. However, the biggest wool bra I've found is still a little small for me (XL Icebreaker, I'm 5'9" and 145#). Plus, there's the problem with show through. So I place removable cup liners in the bra. Hope I never lift my arms and my pads fall out, lol!
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by twistwrist View Post
    I hate bras.
    Some can't afford not to wear a bra. But if you don't need the support, then by all means go without. Try not to worry about what is common so much. Go through each piece of your gear and separate it all into three piles:

- What you NEED
    - What you DO NOT NEED
    - What you DO NOT NEED but WANT

It's a good way to see where your priorities are and doesn't really matter if you're a UL hiker or not, as your "WANT" pile will vary accordingly. Which pile does a bra belong in for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    I jog in Title Nine Bras because the girls don't move a millimeter in that tight corset of torture and pain. But to hike for hours and days is a different story. The T9 Bras take days to dry out.

I love wool for all my clothes because it dries easily and no stink factor. However, the biggest wool bra I've found is still a little small for me (XL Icebreaker, I'm 5'9" and 145#). Plus, there's the problem with show through. So I place removable cup liners in the bra. Hope I never lift my arms and my pads fall out, lol!
    Funny! I'm sure you are the only one bothered by the headlights. Ditch the pads and quit worrying .

Images

I wear Isis (the women's clothing line - not the terror group) bras when hiking. They are comfy & have great support.

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    Not sure how much support you need. Or how much lining/padding in the cup area you will need. If the latter is a concern, then drying will always be an issue because the padded cups will really soak up a lot of moisture.

These are the bras that I routinely use for backpacking and hiking. I find them supportive while moving and they dry quickly:
    http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...302148.3693440

Picked up 2 of these today for hiking and work. Wanted something light and comfortable that dries quickly. They are very soft. Doing an overnight BPing trip this weekend so I'll be checking it out. Thanks!

So, from what I hear, these will generally dry overnight if hung out? (when it is not too humid!!)

Thank- you everyone. I have some good ideas and will start trying ones on. As to going free and breezy, I am glad for those who can be I cannot.

++ New Posts ++