WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The Birches Campsite.

I returned a week ago from my Maine Section hike and I didn't see much about this place on WB so I thought I'd add it.

The Birches is Baxter State Park's campsite for Long Distance hikers (If you completed the 100mw you qualify) and beginning SOBO's. It consists of a wooden tent platform (~20x20), 2 6-person lean-to/shelters, a large picnic table, a nice firering bench, and a pit toilet (with toilet paper). You are only allowed to spend 1 night and the cost is $10 per person. Collect water at the Katahdin Stream by the Ranger Station, that's where you'll register. The ranger station also sells firewood. BSP is a bit weird in that there are no trash cans (that I saw anyway), water faucets, electric outlets (that I saw) or vending machines. Nor did I see a campstore. So if you are entering NOBO, buy your favorite beverages at Abol Bridge.

The "weird" is why we love it. The "lack" of such things are a condition of Gov. Baxter's gift to the people of Maine.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

My local state park removed all trash cans several years ago, and put up signs reminding folks to take their trash home with them. It mostly works.

Journal Entries
    Images

We stayed at Katadhin Stream, reserving the lean-to for $30 per night. With 4 of us we saved a little money. Katadhin was incredible!
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

++ New Posts ++