WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Finshed SOBO LT E2E Yesterday

We made it! My brother and I finished at the Southern Terminus around 10am on September 8th, 2014. More videos/pictures/discussion to come. The LT was definitely a challenging trail that got "under your nails" but certainly a rewarding experience. Met some extraordinary people and had some of the greatest experiences of our lives.

Now I got that thru-hiker blood in me . Just wanted to keep going.

On the other hand... I'm back at home enjoying a cup of Green Mountain Coffee... and a half pound of bacon.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    We made it! My brother and I finished at the Southern Terminus around 10am on September 8th, 2014. More videos/pictures/discussion to come. The LT was definitely a challenging trail that got "under your nails" but certainly a rewarding experience. Met some extraordinary people and had some of the greatest experiences of our lives.

On the other hand... I'm back at home enjoying a cup of Green Mountain Coffee... and a half pound of bacon.

Regards
    Congrats! What was the highlight of the trip? I daydream about thru-hiking the LT.

Images

Very nice, I plan on doing a SOBO next year. Congrats!

Congrats! A thru hike of the Long Trail is on my list for some point over the next few years.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

you are doing this all wrong. You aren't supposed to tell us after you finish. You are supposed to tell everyone months ahead of time about how you are going to smash the record and then disappear when you fail to finish.

Seriously, nice work...and how long did it take?

Congratulations! I'm getting dropped of at the Northern terminus this Friday (12 Sep) and hope to make it all the way down to Mass sometime before the snow flies! Thats the plan at least. I'm in the best shape I've been in since I was 25 years old ... but I know I'm going to get my butt kicked. Will take it slow and enjoy the start to my retirement.

Congrats! Toughest trail I know of.

Images

Awesome. Congrats! Doing it southbound takes some effort.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by chall View Post
    Congrats! What was the highlight of the trip? I daydream about thru-hiking the LT.
    Helping an injured woman get rescued on the southern side of Camel's Hump. If you want to know more. I'm willing to share our experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    you are doing this all wrong. You aren't supposed to tell us after you finish. You are supposed to tell everyone months ahead of time about how you are going to smash the record and then disappear when you fail to finish.

Seriously, nice work...and how long did it take?
    25 Days. Took 3 nights off and 1 zero day.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Awesome. Congrats! Doing it southbound takes some effort.
    It was challenging. I feel it would be easier doing it SOBO rather than northbound. But the southern part of the trail was still challenging. Not the flat "highway" everyone was making it out to sound like but certainly much more manageable than the northern section.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    The LT was definitely a challenging trail that got "under your nails" but certainly a rewarding experience. Met some extraordinary people and had some of the greatest experiences of our lives.

Congrats on your completion. That about sums up how I felt when I got to Williamstown about two weeks ahead of you. It is a great short long distance hike.

Hey Skinny Rooster:

You can do it. I turned 57 at the Long Trail Inn in the middle of my Sobo E2E in August. It is a butt kicker, just go steady, try to keep your feet between you and the rocks and keep your humor dry. I wish I was back there now to see the fall colors.

Porky

Thanks for the pep talk Porky! I've got the time so there is no hurry. And will try and stay on my feet!!. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Well done fastfoxengineering!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Congrats Fastfox & Bro. What a fullfilling hump the Long Trail can be. Easy does it Skinny Rooster making that trail a race when we put on a few years can be a road to getting injured which than takes more time to heal. Also, my experience is resupply can be more difficult than the AT and often that means more weight.
    I'm at the age now where I've done the trail (twice as a yoyo) and both SB & NB. Am lucky enough to have a nephew who lives way up north and will hook up my resupply. But my kids get worried and request that on some of the more difficult parts I do the shortcut side trails. Actually also have an appt with an ear, nose. throat doctor because they detected a balance issue. Something to do with eardrum to brainstem so I might be advised to knock off some of the tricky stuff up North. Although hopefully it will be fixable. Last time I also walked the Northside of Greylock which can also be a Nutbuster. But this is a trail I have always loved and supported. It isn't ment to be easy. Nature says so. Also the difficultly certainly has to do with the weather.

Congratulations! Even though I've hiked the LT twice (once as thru, once as section-hiker), I'd like to do it again some day.

FastFox - congratulations indeed. I've always said that if anyone can hike the LT, they can handle any trail. Way yo go.

++ New Posts ++