WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 10 Day Section Hike in July

Hi all, What do you recommend as a beginner section hike in July 2015? I've been looking into doing SNP as I have 10 days. Planning on taking the wife and 15yr old daughter. This would be the first time hiking/backpacking for my daughter... Thanks for any suggestions.

Journal Entries
    Images

Anywhere north of the smokies. Trail is easier with more towns and rides to drop off your car. My opinion. Good luck.
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

Ok, thanks for the response. I figure SNP would be a good choice to start and anything near GA or NC would not...

PennMar State park head south...lots of shuttle options and road crossings for easy access spots too

Sorry to sound discouraging but IMO, mid-summer heat and humidity make July a crappy time to hike most of the AT. It's a good time to hike the White Mts. in NH but that's hardly suitable for a "beginner" hiker. Same goes true for the southwestern portion of Maine.

SNP is preferable to MD, PA, NJ, NY, and CT because you're at least at relatively high elevation (i.e. a bit cooler), the trail is in good shape, and the ups and downs aren't too extreme. Your wife and daughter (and you) will delight in the occasional breaks for milkshakes and the like at the concessionaires. Expect thunderstorms.

ugh. For most of the AT (including SNP), think may-June or Sept-Oct. I took my familyto SNP last July and what was supposed to be 5 days of backpacking ended after 2 due to being miserable in 90-95 degree heat. I compromised for the sake of family fun and we car camped the rest of the time.

In July 2013, I did a short backpacking trip in SNP as preparation for my John Muir Trail thru hike late that summer. It was in the Central district starting near Big Meadows. I hiked non AT trails down to the Old Rag area, then back up to the AT near Skyland and took the AT back to Big Meadows. The weather was tolerable up near Skyline Drive and the AT but got pretty miserable as I made it to lower elevations. Also, while I did not experience mosquito activity, there were lots of eye gnats around that were very annoying. This was also over a weekend and some of the trails (such as Whiteoak Canyon) were very crowded with day hikers. The trip served its purpose from a conditioning hike/gear shake down but I wouldn't plan another trip to SNP in July just for fun. I now plan to go out west for hiking in the summer months and do my AT hiking in spring and fall when the weather is much better. My spring AT section during the second half of April was great because the temps were comfortable and the trees were still mostly bare allowing more views than in the green tunnel months of summer.

That being said, someone from FL may be much less sensitive to heat and humidity than other folks... I've been to FL in the summer and SNP is wonderful in comparison even in July..
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    .... I now plan to go out west for hiking in the summer months and do my AT hiking in spring and fall when the weather is much better....
    Those are my thoughts and that's the advice I usually give as well. You want to hike the AT? Spring, fall, winter in places. You want to hike in July? Go west!

I originally wanted to go in June but read that SNP is over crowded- if that isn't the case then I'd rather plan it in early June. I really appreciate everyones input!! And btw it was 103 degrees with 95% humidity last week...;(

If you go to SNP shortly after Memorial Day weekend, it won't be as crowded because most schools aren't out yet and early June can be pleasantly cool (emphasis on the "can" ). You should miss most of the thruhikers. Your hike's period will include one weekend which will feature more visitors than usual but the actual hiking on the AT will not feel crowded.

The weather should be much better in early June than in July. Of course, that's a generalization since it's very possible to have a heat wave even in May, but even then being up where the AT is in the park should be ok. The only parts of the AT corridor in SNP that seem crowded to me at times are Big Meadows and Skyland and the trails around those areas. There are other crowded areas of the park not on the AT - such as Old Rag, Cedar Run, and Whiteoak Canyon. If you have time, checking out those areas is worthwhile but try to avoid the weekends.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Ok then...I'll see if I can move it back to June. Thanks everyone!

I went for a 10 day hike through SNP from Rock Fish Gap to Front Royal with my 13 year old son, a friend, and her 13 year old son. My friend had never backpacked before, and her son had never walked in the mountains. During our time hiking, the temperature at the NPS (such as Skyline and Big Meadows) hit 99 degrees. The heat index (with the humidity) reached over 115. WOW! Was it hot! - but that made us really appreciate water - and a trail angel who gave us a cold water mellon!

If you can move it to June, DO IT!
    If you can't, Do it in July!
    Just realize that it will be REALLY HOT in July~

I do think SNP is a great place to begin the AT! Make sure you get the Blackberry Shake at Elk Wallow, the Cheesbburger at Big Meadows, and breakfast at Skyline!!!

IMO, I think you'll actually find the heat a non factor. I've done a couple of section hikes from Springer up to Franklin, NC during late June-July, and like you, being from the south, found that the temps were not that bad. In fact a few nights I thought were a bit on the cooler side. Set your own pace and you'll be fine. About the worst part of that time of year are the thunderstorms that can roll through-some of those are no fun!

Journal Entries
    Images

I've hiked around Roan Mountain and Damascus the end of June/early July and I didn't think it was at all that hot. You'll break a sweat, no doubt, but it wasn't anywhere near 95 degrees.

FWIW, where I live (180' above sea level) the temps stay in the 90s with high humudity all summer, and I WON'T hike in that weather.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

SNP shouldn't have average highs in the 90s even in July, I don't think. Our average highs in the DC metro area get into the low 90s in the worst of summer but usually the mountains are a good ten degrees cooler. Still, in heat waves it can get unpleasant and over a ten day hike in July there is more than a small chance that there will be a few uncomfortable days at least. Then add the bugs (eye gnats in particular - I hate them) and humidity and it really isn't an ideal place to be in mid summer IMO.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Yeah, I passed all this info to my wife and kid this weekend- They are in favor of going in June too. If momma is happy then so am I.. It will be a great time no matter- Just getting outdoors away from the hustle and bustle..

++ New Posts ++